British Speedway Forum
dump that clutch

Swindon 2016 - A New Era Starts...we Thought..

So which part of the road will be closed first? Any ideas?

starting from J15 first, I think the road is shut overnight between the hours of 8pm and 6am

Edited by dump that clutch

Very different

I think Terry Russell is pals with both the Mike Bowdens.......... The one from Plymouth is a notorious second hand car salesman the other know nothing about does anyone?

I think Terry Russell is pals with both the Mike Bowdens.......... The one from Plymouth is a notorious second hand car salesman the other know nothing about does anyone?

Former Swindon Town FC director

From the Adver Article :

"Former Swindon Town director Bowden, who fronts the Downers Racing group, is hoping to make the Abbey Stadium outfit an increasingly attractive draw after their local consortium were announced as the new co-owners of the Robins today.

Bowden, who is also the chairman of the Friends of Lydiard Park independent conservation charity, says that the new Robins board won’t be meddling in on-track affairs and also believes that now is a perfect time to get involved in British speedway."

• Like 1

From the Adver Article :

"Former Swindon Town director Bowden, who fronts the Downers Racing group, is hoping to make the Abbey Stadium outfit an increasingly attractive draw after their local consortium were announced as the new co-owners of the Robins today.

Bowden, who is also the chairman of the Friends of Lydiard Park independent conservation charity, says that the new Robins board won’t be meddling in on-track affairs and also believes that now is a perfect time to get involved in British speedway."

i.e. on the cheap

hope it all works well we need a strong swindon

not just Swindon, we need a strong EL & hopefully we're seeing a start to it. Although it's started a bit rough we have Belle Vue with the new stadium.

Strongest footings:

Poole

Belle Vue

Wolverhampton

Swindon

King's Lynn

Leicester

Coventry

They must believe there is going to be a new stadium surely.

Hope they can promote the club and add something to the entertainment value. Some might bore some people but put extra things on - cycle speedway lads on the small inside track, majorettes, music that isnt nearly all 70's and 80's based, stop both the centre green and box announcers giving the results.

Edited by remembertheracers

Great news for The Roobins. With the new stadium around the corner, and the team turning the corner, can only see great times ahead for Swindon speedway club. With a good weather forecast for tomorrow hopefully be a decent crowd up on The Hill, and not just the usual 1000 or so diehards. Needs a local guy to inject some interest into the club, with better promotion, to attract fans from the massive catchment area within 40 miles of Swindon.

From my cabbie-days I recall junction 15 Swindon East and junction 16 Swindon West being about 8 miles from the stadium. Obviously junc.15 to stadium a lot quicker, but fans can avoid the roadworks on the 419 by using junc.16 then heading east down the M4 to Berkshire. Also cutting through Highworth to Faringdon for fans living in Oxfordshire, avoiding the A420, as the sliproad will be closed tomorrow evening by the old Madison Hotel/ St.Margarets Retail Park.

Edited by Downsman

Great news for The Roobins. With the new stadium around the corner, and the team turning the corner, can only see great times ahead for Swindon speedway club. With a good weather forecast for tomorrow hopefully be a decent crowd up on The Hill, and not just the usual 1000 or so diehards. Needs a local guy to inject some interest into the club, with better promotion, to attract fans from the massive catchment area within 40 miles of Swindon.From my cabbie-days I recall junction 15 Swindon East and junction 16 Swindon West being about 8 miles from the stadium. Obviously junc.15 to stadium a lot quicker, but fans can avoid the roadworks on the 419 by using junc.16 then heading east down the M4 to Berkshire. Also cutting through Highworth to Faringdon for fans living in Oxfordshire, avoiding the A420, as the sliproad will be closed tomorrow evening by the old Madison Hotel/ St.Margarets Retail Park.

I am not convinced mate ,will promoting and getting the word around make that much difference? For me the people between 16/22 are the most important age bracket so hard to attract them speedway for me is like Bovril either you like it or you don't.☹️ Edited by Sidney the robin

I am not convinced mate ,will promoting and getting the word around make that much difference? For me the people between 16/22 are the most important age bracket so hard to attract them speedway for me is like Bovril either you like it or you don't.☹️

Haven't had Bovril since about 1975 at the County Ground, when I used to serve it from the Town End kiosk, bloody hate it now,nearly as bad as Marmite. Its getting some of those missing 2000 back that went to the 2007/9 Grand Finals but didn't bother to go in 2012. Probably went when Leigh Adams departed. They would have had decent crowds if they had been in the new stadium, know a few people that wont go again after attending the so-called Farewell meeting that wasn't.

I think another hurdle for people is the cost of watching speedway at Blunsdon at present.

My next door neighbour and her lad went with us for the first time and loved it, but he can only go in school holidays because of the late finish. A spell of decent weather and good results will get those feet back on the grass banks of Blunsdon. But you have so many blank Thursdays where fans lose interest.

Edited by Downsman

Which swindon riders get somerset preference?

Tungate and Wright

Thanks