British Speedway Forum
dump that clutch

Swindon 2016 - A New Era Starts...we Thought..

Particularly if they put in plans that they know won't pass!

They wouldn't do that surely?

• Like 1

They were always going to be dragged kicking and screaming to build a new stadium and we were always concerned about inadequate plans being submitted. The council were warned on plenty of occasions about not letting them build before a new stadium was in- it seems they didn't really take us seriously.

How messy is this going to get?

• Like 1

It's only a mess to Speedway folk.

For the builder's, land and current stadium owners everything is moving in the right direction and to plan

• Like 1

Why I'm so angry and rude. For anyone who doesn't know the area, the north Swindon development of which the Abbey is now an integral part, is larger than any town in Wiltshire, apart from Swindon, approximately a town the size of Salisbury added on between Swindon and the speedway. So this town has, as always punched above its weight to help the rest of you, most everywhere else round here there are protests against extra housing. So fool that I am I prayed for the saviour of the world renowned Abbey Stadium, after all its just a few acres of land compared to hundreds of acres of new housing. Could it have survived? There's always alternatives to any plan surely? I felt at the time (2007) we should have fought harder to save the place. Old Swindon may have done, but this is a tory town now. The council were generous with planning for this site and even more so when G.I. asked for more. So with six meetings left, what happens next? The only way forward appears to be the demolition of the old before the new can begin, I just want to get it over with now. Oh yeah I'm a miserable insomniac as well.

Why I'm so angry and rude. For anyone who doesn't know the area, the north Swindon development of which the Abbey is now an integral part, is larger than any town in Wiltshire, apart from Swindon, approximately a town the size of Salisbury added on between Swindon and the speedway. So this town has, as always punched above its weight to help the rest of you, most everywhere else round here there are protests against extra housing. So fool that I am I prayed for the saviour of the world renowned Abbey Stadium, after all its just a few acres of land compared to hundreds of acres of new housing. Could it have survived? There's always alternatives to any plan surely? I felt at the time (2007) we should have fought harder to save the place. Old Swindon may have done, but this is a tory town now. The council were generous with planning for this site and even more so when G.I. asked for more. So with six meetings left, what happens next? The only way forward appears to be the demolition of the old before the new can begin, I just want to get it over with now. Oh yeah I'm a miserable insomniac as well.

So, not confident about the play-offs then?!

• Like 1

It's only a mess to Speedway folk.

For the builder's, land and current stadium owners everything is moving in the right direction and to plan

Then it will fall to the fans to messy it up for them.

Then it will fall to the fans to messy it up for them.

and how exactly will they be able to do that??

Sounds like Swindon have a council that aren't interested in their opinion.

Fair play to the Swindon promotion:

SWINDON bosses are urging supporters to roar the Robins to victory when they host Coventry in front of the Sky TV cameras on Monday, July 4.

The club are delighted to announce discounted admission prices of just £10 for adults and concessions for the meeting on July 4 v Coventry.

Fair play to the Swindon promotion:

SWINDON bosses are urging supporters to roar the Robins to victory when they host Coventry in front of the Sky TV cameras on Monday, July 4.

The club are delighted to announce discounted admission prices of just £10 for adults and concessions for the meeting on July 4 v Coventry.

Swindon have usually done this and every club should do it when Sky is present.

• Like 2

Every club should let under 18's in education in free with a paying adult as well.

• Like 2

Yes they have but others do not, it's good that it's been announced weeks in advance as well.

• Like 1

Every club should let under 18's in education in free with a paying adult as well.

Stretch it to under 20 as someone in education is regarded as a child until then

Stretch it to under 20 as someone in education is regarded as a child until then

Under 18's are free at Colts meetings and it's only £10 for adults and £8 for concessions. The racing has been excellent and it's a good way to try to get new fans interested.

Edited by Aces51

and how exactly will they be able to do that??

Sounds like Swindon have a council that aren't interested in their opinion.

I was hoping someone could tell me!

That said we aren't powerless. Unless we roll over and just give in. Its the long game strategy the bas**rds always had and if we do just shrug and say "whats the point" then we really only have ourselves to blame.

Edited by BuzzCagney