British Speedway Forum
Paul Johnson

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2016?

Based in Yorkshire now so his local track ain't it

Based in Yorkshire now so his local track ain't it

Lives in Sheffield area so not that far

MPT is in attendance most weeks, now often seen pushing a pram.

Correct... but never seen him embrace the promotion team like he did last night ;)...​ time will tell.

Robs said that the changes will leave us with a team; they believe will at least win home matches. We seem to have definitely made a commitment to Andreas Lyagers inclusion; so I cannot square winning home matches by including Lyager; Holub and Bailey. All three are learning the ropes at Premier League level. So we keep Josh Auty; Ryan Douglas; Alex Davies; and Carl Wilkinson. Josh Baileys position is protected so he is safe.

Ashley Morris is replaced by Lyager and alas it will be Zdneck Holub who steps down (albeit he has had precious little chance to show his undoubted potential). Replacing Holub with most likely MPT,or say Ty Procter definitely strengthens the team without giving us the second "big hitter" but MPT or Procter do have the experience. It should then see Wilko revert to reserve and a riding order say; 1.Auty 2.Lyager,3.Douglas; 4.Davies; 5. Procter/MPT; 6.Wilko 7.Bailey. Its solid enough; if MPT comes in he can link up with Lyager and pass on his knowhow and help him settle.

I do think it is quite tough on Holub; who clearly has potential; Rob says no one's place in the team is safe; but in the end it will come down to how many "new to PL" riders we can afford to carry along in the hope of realising their potential now. Three is a bit of a leap of faith if we are to realistically win home matches and keep and build the crowd levels at the EWR. So reluctantly; we will put Zdnecks British career on hold for now and hope that these two changes will give us the shot in the arm we are looking for the rest of the season.

After last nights British Semi-Final; the entertainment bar has been lifted once again; and with the line up above there is sure to be more interesting times and thrilling Speedway at the EWR as the re-energised Scorpions pick up for the rest of the season starting next week against Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Tigers. With a quick return for last nights winner Simon Stead; and team mates Kyle Howarth(3rd) Jason Garrith (Qualifier) and Josh Bates its one not to be missed that's for sure.

Edited by the outsider

You could, possibly, say that Holub was put into a similar position as Victor Palovaara was when he joined Glasgow. 7pt assessed average and thrown in at the deep end at No.1. Victor settled down when moved away from being a No.1 and now has a 5.28 average.

Given time, Holub may well do a similar thing. The question is, do you give him that time and, if you do, at what expense?

Edited by Steve Park

Its interesting how some promotions can pick a decent side pre season and stick with it, yet other promotions cant pick a decent side from a blank canvas, relying on getting averages down to bring others in.... Season in season out. Shouldnt be allowed other than injuries Imo.

• Like 2

Its interesting how some promotions can pick a decent side pre season and stick with it, yet other promotions cant pick a decent side from a blank canvas, relying on getting averages down to bring others in.... Season in season out. Shouldnt be allowed other than injuries Imo.

I think its to do with finances, clubs like Redcar, Scunny and Plymouth don't have the cash to pick and choose any rider they want so they have to take a gamble on riders, often these riders will not live up to their average. If these clubs can't then strengthen their teams they will struggle and that will lead to poor crowds and that could lead to dire consequences.

Edited by eric i
  • Like 2

Are you actually saying teams should not be allowed to change unless there is an injury?

Are you actually saying teams should not be allowed to change unless there is an injury?

Think is wrong that a month or so into the season teams can change the side yes, making them stronger for the league campaign.... PL cup is a joke and a massive chance to manipulate things in time for the league campaign. Makes a mockery things in my opinion.
  • Like 1

Think is wrong that a month or so into the season teams can change the side yes, making them stronger for the league campaign.... PL cup is a joke and a massive chance to manipulate things in time for the league campaign. Makes a mockery things in my opinion.

IMO I don't think most clubs are manipulating the averages i.e telling riders to lower their average.

If the LC didnt count towards averages things may be different??

Edited by Arson fire

When Scunny won the Premier League did their crowds show a big increase, Or was it flat ? Just wondering if there is any mileage in spending the money to put together a decent team or the Crowd levels stay the same with in reason whether you were top, middle or a bottom of the League team.

From memory crowds were ok that year no massive increase but has seemed to be a steady decline up to robs plea last year. From what I have seen this year crowds seem even with the post plea meetings. Scunny haven't been helped though by having probably the fairest track in the country with no huge home advantage (some people won't come if your not smashing everyone every week regardless of the quality of the racing) and the huge threat of mass redundancies on the steelworks.

From memory crowds were ok that year no massive increase but has seemed to be a steady decline up to robs plea last year. From what I have seen this year crowds seem even with the post plea meetings. Scunny haven't been helped though by having probably the fairest track in the country with no huge home advantage (some people won't come if your not smashing everyone every week regardless of the quality of the racing) and the huge threat of mass redundancies on the steelworks.

Just an observation, but It's strange how weak teams, Redcar, Scunny, ect all seem to have fair track with no home track advantage, were as strong teams like Somerset have a home track advantage!!