British Speedway Forum

Kelvin Tatum said last night that he wanted Bjarne in the team and classed him as a true pro. He also said he wanted Bridger as well and wanted to get rid of another rider but the choice was not his.

How injudicious of him (if that is what he actually said). His role is to work with the team formulated by the promoters (those whose money is at risk) rather than undermine their selection of riders..

Not sure just what team make up he was contemplating - with AJ, BP & LB in the top five, there remains only 11.78 to play with. Dropping Kim just doesn't make sense. Eddie & Richard share one position for a reason.

All of which, leads me to believe he has been quoted out of context and, given the poster, I am quite prepared to believe that is the case.

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 2

How injudicious of him (if that is what he actually said). His role is to work with the team formulated by the promoters (those whose money is at risk) rather than undermine their selection of riders..

Not sure just what team make up he was contemplating - with AJ, BP & LB in the top five, there remains only 11.78 to play with. Dropping Kim just doesn't make sense. Eddie & Richard share one position for a reason.

All of which, leads me to believe he has been quoted out of context and, given the poster, I am quite prepared to believe that is the case.

If it is as reported, then this was my first reaction too, but maybe best to wait and see what words were actually used...

That sounds like the usual Shovlar spin to me, aimed at stirring, but does anybody have a link to what was actually said, in what context and the words used ?

Kelvin is a bright guy and very articulate.. He is also a riders man who doesn't speak in BSF language. I don't believe for one moment that he spoke in blunt terms of "Getting rid" of another rider. I am sure it would have been expressed differently to that. After all he said about building the team last week I don't believe he is so stupid as to alienate riders by saying things as pejoratively and as bluntly as that. as that. I think he is far to astute to give the impression that he disagrees with management thinking when he hasnt been in the job 5 minutes

Nobody wanted to see Bjarne go but as we now know he would be missing a total of seven meetings in all then after all that was said about r/r last year the team can't be going into a quarter of the league programme with r/r for the second heatleader, especially against teams like Belle Vue or Poole.

The only rider who could be dropped to fit Lewis average in would be Kim Nilsson who not only has done nothing wrong, but he was one of the first riders signed up and is a fans favourite so it would be monstrous to drop him this close to the start of the season.

Once again all we have so far from Lewis is talk and expectation. I hope for everyones sake he delivers but he still has to walk the walk. He still has to show he can score well on all the away tracks and he still has to show he has a new attitude. Kim is in much the same position as Lewis, in that he still has to reach his potential and still has to master most of the away tracks, although he has on occasions topped the away scores,which I dont think Lewis has..Plus Kim fits in with the rest of the team , which Lewis has still to learn to do.

I'll ask Kelvin at Press and Practice, but I bet the point he was making was not quite as the Poole stirrer in chief would like us to think ;)

Steve is correct, that is exactly what he said in reply to some good natured ribbing from Matt Ford over Bjarnes' sacking. Wether he should have said it is another matter though, but that's the nature of these evenings, great banter mixed with some serious discussion.

I really like Kelvin and I am sure he will do a great job as coach at Lakeside but how will he combine this with his job as Sky Sports Speedway presenter?

• Like 1

I really like Kelvin and I am sure he will do a great job as coach at Lakeside but how will he combine this with his job as Sky Sports Speedway presenter?

Other than when presenting for Sky, he will be available to Lakeside. They took him on knowing that to be the case.

Steve is correct, that is exactly what he said in reply to some good natured ribbing from Matt Ford over Bjarnes' sacking. Wether he should have said it is another matter though, but that's the nature of these evenings, great banter mixed with some serious discussion.

Now all is clear - Ford is to blame.

• Like 2

Pedersen is this week's guest columnist in Speedway Star. He says he was surprised to get the call from Jon Cook on Monday telling him he was dropped. He says they'd been talking for a few weeks about the fixture clashes and he'd got it down from 7 to about 3 or 4 and Cook told him that if it stayed at that it wouldn't be a problem. He says he doesn't think the fixture clashes was the real problem and cites the interest in Lewis Bridger as a factor.

• Like 1

Read it also.

Whilst I aknowledge that it may be slightly biased to support his opinion, I have to say that Lakeside haven't come out of this very nicely. Combined, if true, with what Tatum said then it sounds as though Lakeside have dumped him for not a lot of reason.

I have a feeling they have gone into this squad thing very much like a bull in a china shop and simply had themselves too many riders.

Edited by acef

So, it was said as banter.

Whichever way you break it down it comes to the simple fact that Bjarne first of all said he was going to give GB priority, then he subsequently got a job in Poland and we find he starts missing meetings. The goal posts had moved.

There is some dispute over just how many meetings would be missed, but the starting point was still that Bjarne is 37 years old with a history of falling averages. Lakeside were at best taking a bit of a chance that he could turn the clock back but missing meetings against the two strongest teams in the league was a step too far. It's not as if he was sharing a position like Lawson and Kennet but as second heatleader you can't just go missing for key matches.

It's unfortunate that all this comes up when Bjarne had spent money but if they look Bridger in ahead of someone else that person would also have spent money. I feel genuinely sorry for Bjarne but nobody forced him to say he was giving priority to GB . If he said at the start he would give priority to Poland he probably wouldn't have got the job in the first place.

Of course it is once again Steve Shovlar who makes a rare post on the forum these days to come on and stir it up.

Edited by E I Addio

Read it also.

Whilst I aknowledge that it may be slightly biased to support his opinion, I have to say that Lakeside haven't come out of this very nicely. Combined, if true, with what Tatum said then it sounds as though Lakeside have dumped him for not a lot of reason.

Bet they didn't like his agent.

it sounds as though Lakeside have dumped him for not a lot of reason.

Not a lot of reason ? After last season nothing is going to hit attendances harder than yet more unnecessary, guests and r/r. A rider signs on the basis of being available for all meetings then suddenly he is not riding in key meetings against the best two teams in the league . In the entertainment business doing something that hits a promoters income is one of the best reasons there is to drop someone.

It is quite simple really, Lakeside signed Bjarne first at a time when he had no Polish team or commitments. If, when he later contemplated signing for a Polish club, he could have said that his UK club comes first re fixture clashes and may well have done so (although unlikely) and the Polish club would almost certainly not have signed him on that basis. Anyway, he did sign up knowing there would be an issue and has now paid the price insofar as Lewis is the better option when it comes down to availability.

• Like 1

It is quite simple really, Lakeside signed Bjarne first at a time when he had no Polish team or commitments. If, when he later contemplated signing for a Polish club, he could have said that his UK club comes first re fixture clashes and may well have done so (although unlikely) and the Polish club would almost certainly not have signed him on that basis. Anyway, he did sign up knowing there would be an issue and has now paid the price insofar as Lewis is the better option when it comes down to availability.

Until he takes it upon himself to do a runner.

So, it was said as banter.

Whichever way you break it down it comes to the simple fact that Bjarne first of all said he was going to give GB priority, then he subsequently got a job in Poland and we find he starts missing meetings. The goal posts had moved.

There is some dispute over just how many meetings would be missed, but the starting point was still that Bjarne is 37 years old with a history of falling averages. Lakeside were at best taking a bit of a chance that he could turn the clock back but missing meetings against the two strongest teams in the league was a step too far. It's not as if he was sharing a position like Lawson and Kennet but as second heatleader you can't just go missing for key matches.

It's unfortunate that all this comes up when Bjarne had spent money but if they look Bridger in ahead of someone else that person would also have spent money. I feel genuinely sorry for Bjarne but nobody forced him to say he was giving priority to GB . If he said at the start he would give priority to Poland he probably wouldn't have got the job in the first place.

Of course it is once again Steve Shovlar who makes a rare post on the forum these days to come on and stir it up.

Sadly his posts will probably get more frequent & not sure the forum gains much from them.

• Like 1