British Speedway Forum

so then, how's the new stadium coming along?

Elections next week will lead to a new timetable for planning meetings, but it looks like the next one probably won't be till late May/early June

I drove past the other day and was surprised at how many of the houses are now occupied. They must be getting very close to the 200 limit.

And so it goes on ...... no wonder Rosco didn't answer my twitter question about how things are progressing!

It's the letter to the agent (01-03-16) that you all should check out.

Have already pointed out earlier the issue about the lack of parking spaces, which you mention has not been answered, and am not 100% sure if the request from the Fire Service makes this worse by taking up space allocated for parking for the building of a fire station as the letter is a bit ambiguous.

• Like 1

Makes the little dig at people not having a clue (that were questioning this new stadium build) at the 'Farewell to the Abbey' meeting somewhat embarrassing? the fact this is still dragging on with no signs of any i dotting or t crossing, just seems to be one thing after another to hold things up...having read the poorly worded letter from Wiltshire & Dorset Fire Brigade i have to say i found it a little confusing? But then ive only had two caffeine shots so far

Edited by hagonshocker
  • Like 1

I'm amazed anything ever gets built in this country, other than lego houses and retail parks.

As far as I can see there's the parish council's request for extended acoustic barrier and the car parking problems. One of the planning officer's emails recommends refusal due to the car parking matter. There's a long way to go yet.

Just seen an article in the Wilts and Gloucs. Standard 23 01 16 by Phil Rice that gives a date, 7 July for opening meeting of new stadium, v Wolverhampton!?!??. Yeah right!! Who's Phil Rice?

Just seen an article in the Wilts and Gloucs. Standard 23 01 16 by Phil Rice that gives a date, 7 July for opening meeting of new stadium, v Wolverhampton!?!??. Yeah right!! Who's Phil Rice?

Probably a relative of whoever told T Russell that the stadium would be a 4 month build and be ready for March 16, they have not got a clue.

• Like 1

It's the letter to the agent (01-03-16) that you all should check out.

Thank you. That's pretty damning and amounts to 'go back and start again' re the plans for parking and access.

It echoes the concerns voiced here that the proposed parking will be thoroughly inadequate and that there have been significant revisions to the new stadium's location that have invalidated several previous plans. Most importantly, the idea that the old stadium can continue while the new one is being built is severely questioned.

The reference to the proposal to use a local park and ride to compensate for the car parking shortfall is also cast into doubt by the failure to include plans for revised access to that site.

There is also fundamental criticism of the lack of pedestrian walkways.

These are fundamental problems and in the modern H&S culture would appear to need to be comprehensively addressed.

Something tells me that it is going to be a long time, if at all before we see any diggers moving in.

There is another document regarding noise which states that if after three meetings the noise levels exceed a certain limit then activities will be suspended until the noise barrier can be improved to bring levels below the limit. That again is concerning.

If someone were to go to a council and argue that they would like to build a motorsports stadium in the middle of a housing estate I think we would all know the response, and yet that is what is proposed here, and one with inadequate parking as well.

I really worry for the future. The new stadium plans look great but I really can't see how this is going to happen. It does look to me that once the initial housing is built there will be pressure by GI to claim that the new stadium is unworkable and apply to finish off the housing estate.

I remember reading but cannot find the report from a department in the council where it stated that they would recommend that the stadium could not go ahead because of the parking issues. Presumably it could go ahead for the dog racing as they get very few spectators, it is only the speedway that will have a spectator number issue re the amount of parking.