British Speedway Forum

Hows the new stadium looking, has Rosco it opened yet?..there was a picture of him with a speedway bike and a set of plans many moons ago in the local paper!!

Edited by Odds On

Is anybody truly optimistic it will ever happen? That's not a sarcasm, but a question.

About as much chance as Coventry having a track next year I'd say.

Is anybody truly optimistic it will ever happen? That's not a sarcasm, but a question.

Despite all of the talk GI have yet to even gain planning permission. Applications to date have been rejected due to chronic flaws, which we have to assume are accidental rather than deliberate.

Without planning permission there will be no stadium.

How long are Swindon allowed to stay at the current stadium if a new one isn't built?

How long are Swindon allowed to stay at the current stadium if a new one isn't built?

At the moment the current stadium cannot be demolished until the new one is up and running, but what has happened in the past is that there just happens to be a mystery fire one night.

It must also be remembered that the speedway only rents the stadium from GI, it is not ours.

A lot will depend upon the council, if they have got the balls to hold GI to the planning conditions they will be stopped building or selling houses. There is a limit on the number they can sell before the new stadium has to either be started or finished, I just hope it is finished.

At the moment the current stadium cannot be demolished until the new one is up and running, but what has happened in the past is that there just happens to be a mystery fire one night.

It must also be remembered that the speedway only rents the stadium from GI, it is not ours.

A lot will depend upon the council, if they have got the balls to hold GI to the planning conditions they will be stopped building or selling houses. There is a limit on the number they can sell before the new stadium has to either be started or finished, I just hope it is finished.

Worrying times. I hope you hear so positive news regarding the new stadium very soon 👍🏻

At the moment the current stadium cannot be demolished until the new one is up and running

That is only speculation though, isn't it.

No one has ever produced a document showing that clause in writing.

I just find this whole scenario quite extraordinary!

Swindon fans were subjected to a lot of claims and promises and still no definite news.

Awful, really. However, it's soon going to be time for Swindon Speedway and the council to dig their heels in - and every speedway fan in the country get behind them.

• Like 1

I just find this whole scenario quite extraordinary!

Swindon fans were subjected to a lot of claims and promises and still no definite news.

Given Gaming International's appalling record of stadium closures and false promises for replacements it is sadly no surprise. How long have Reading fans been waiting for the Smallmead replacement? Where's the new stadium in Milton Keynes?

When there's huge money involved developers can play the same 'long game' that killed Cradley and may well do the same to Wimbledon and Oxford.

The fact that GI keep filing failed planning applications with obviously crucial flaws and the rapid development of the rest of the site it is hard to avoid the suspicion that their version of the 'long game' here is by building most of the estate, right up to the boundaries of the present stadium and to keep issuing unworkable plans for a replacement until they can finally win the argument that they can drop the subject and complete the housing estate.

I hope I'm wrong since I really want Swindon like all tracks to survive. It will give me no pleasure at all if if the scenario I've suggested tragically comes true. There is no victory in being proved right by a stadium closing.

There is one simple fact though amidst all the opinion.

Without planning permission nothing can be built without the risk of having just to pull it all down.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

That is only speculation though, isn't it.

No one has ever produced a document showing that clause in writing.

Have not seen anything in writing Steve but we were assured by J Tomlinson that it was the case.

Awful, really. However, it's soon going to be time for Swindon Speedway and the council to dig their heels in - and every speedway fan in the country get behind them.

If GI try to pull a fast one there is action that fans can take.

If GI pull a fast one, Surely they have enough of a record and there's enough written evidence to either land grab or look at the original agreement as fraudulent?

Have not seen anything in writing Steve but we were assured by J Tomlinson that it was the case.

So let me be clear Dave, you were told it was true by a politician, without any evidence to back it up - and we're going to take what he said at face value and without prejudice?

Excuse my cynicism but until I see it in writing, the clause doesn't exist!