British Speedway Forum

Have been told the Stadium car park is being signed off to Conlon Groundworks two weeks as of the end of last week...whether that means for Stadium or something else who knows?!

Has this happened yet?

Has this happened yet?

No idea! Lots of smoke and mirrors , Local mp announced in the last few days via twitter that GI/Stadia UK have just agreed to lease the disused park and ride near(ish) the Abbey presumably for parking or storage and that the lego brick stand is assembled sat somewhere oh and a guy called Toby Elliot has said he was pushing the Council into solving the 'drainage issues'.....

Personally I think the long term future for the sport in Swindon is not good.

As has been well documented on this forum GI has a poor record in keeping promises when it comes to building new facilities.

I don't know much about Greyhound racing but it seems to be going backwards in terms of popularity (much like speedway). How much of a return are they going to get on their investment? I can't imagine they make much money out of the Robins.

As has been mentioned already GI has absolutely no obligation to the Speedway club, I would imagine in truth Terry Russell and Rosco know little more than the rest of us about the progress of the facility.

The other thing is the location of the stadium; Blunsdon is now becoming a very built up residential area - give it a few years and there will be a residents committee lobbying the council about noise, parking and other issues linked to the stadium.

I know this is pessimistic but building a new venue for speedway in this day and age is very challenging to say the least.

• Like 1

Personally I think the long term future for the sport in Swindon is not good.

As has been well documented on this forum GI has a poor record in keeping promises when it comes to building new facilities.

I don't know much about Greyhound racing but it seems to be going backwards in terms of popularity (much like speedway). How much of a return are they going to get on their investment? I can't imagine they make much money out of the Robins.

As has been mentioned already GI has absolutely no obligation to the Speedway club, I would imagine in truth Terry Russell and Rosco know little more than the rest of us about the progress of the facility.

The other thing is the location of the stadium; Blunsdon is now becoming a very built up residential area - give it a few years and there will be a residents committee lobbying the council about noise, parking and other issues linked to the stadium.

I know this is pessimistic but building a new venue for speedway in this day and age is very challenging to say the least.

As Belle Vue found out - but they managed it. :t:

While there is life, there is hope - fingers crossed for Swindon. :t:

Swindon should bite the bullet, get permission for a full size training track a few miles out and gradually move towards it. Temporary stands as necessary etc.

Why on earth anyone is still listening to their bull**** is beyond me. Probably because most people can't imagine lying through your teeth for a few quid.

• Like 1

Swindon should bite the bullet, get permission for a full size training track a few miles out and gradually move towards it. Temporary stands as necessary etc.

Why on earth anyone is still listening to their bull**** is beyond me. Probably because most people can't imagine lying through your teeth for a few quid.

That would make sense because as more houses are built the more people there will be to complain about the stadium.

Also if it is built no doubt Stadia will put up the parking charge so more fans will park on the roads in the housing development.

The trouble, as it is with many promoters, that when speedway was making a lot of money they did not invest in their own stadiums.

i agree - i think beleiving these people is crazy

I assume the Robins promoters are not stupid and know this too

theres a nice looking bit of land next to Swindon Supermarine - away from houses and aleady used for sport

• Like 1

Maybe a move further away from encroaching housing might be the best bet if there is land available. We certainly dont want Swindon to go the same way as Reading with the false promises. With recent talk about the possibility of Oxford re-emerging does anyone think there is a possibility of the licence being moved there?

Maybe a move further away from encroaching housing might be the best bet if there is land available. We certainly dont want Swindon to go the same way as Reading with the false promises. With recent talk about the possibility of Oxford re-emerging does anyone think there is a possibility of the licence being moved there?

I think everybody quietly knows this will never happen.

Unfortunately I think that Cowley Stadium has issues despite the recent proposals put forward into saving the complex...all very sad,

Head in the sand appears to be the case once again as it looks more than likely that Swindon will not run in 2018 and fans should enjoy this season as much as they can. Another promoting licence "put on ice" ( rather like a football manager getting 100% support from the board ). The phoenix rising from the ashes, as at Leicester is sadly not the norm for "lost" speedway stadiums / clubs. If there was a genuine, positive aspect to the possibility of the new stadium they would be shouting about it loudly!

Head in the sand appears to be the case once again as it looks more than likely that Swindon will not run in 2018 and fans should enjoy this season as much as they can. Another promoting licence "put on ice" ( rather like a football manager getting 100% support from the board ). The phoenix rising from the ashes, as at Leicester is sadly not the norm for "lost" speedway stadiums / clubs. If there was a genuine, positive aspect to the possibility of the new stadium they would be shouting about it loudly!

Yes they would, but Swindon Speedway are not building the stadium are they. They are in the hands of stadium owners who control the situation. Hardly speedways fault.

• Like 2

This is what happened when The Abbey was first built. I forget the actual year of construction but league racing began there mid-1949. The area was chosen as it was, at that time, 'middle of nowhere's ville', not anymore. Think it's called 'progress'....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

This is what happened when The Abbey was first built. I forget the actual year of construction but league racing began there mid-1949. The area was chosen as it was, at that time, 'middle of wowhere's ville', not anymore. Think it's called 'progress'....

Same with Cowley Stadium...constructed just before the war and no houses in sight.