British Speedway Forum
robert72

Tai Should Never Ride For Team Gb Again

Actually less than 38% of the eligible electorate voted for independence.

To be honest, I don't really think accidents of birth should really be the determining factor. You should really represent where you spent your formative years and learnt your sport.

If Tai Woffinden is not an Australian citizen then he's not Australian full stop, but the question comes when a competitor takes a passport of convenience.

Perhaps you think that - but crucially - that is not the way it is.

You are what you are - and Tai is British.

Maybe, but 44.7% of those that went to vote, said yes. And who is to say that those that didn't vote, if they had to, would have tipped the balance to a 'yes'.

Even if all of the non-voters had voted for independence, I still don't think the swing would have been enough. However, the fact remains that less than 38% of the electorate positively voted that way, and I think it's more probable that those who wanted independence actively voted rather than the other way around.

• Like 1

Actually he's not an Aussie. He has no claim on being Australian.

British parents. Born in Britain. Never lived in Australia long enough to qualify for citizenship.

Maybe he has a strong connection with the country, and grew up singing their national anthem in school - but he ain't an Aussie.

Jason Crump is more British than Tai is Australian

Maybe I'm in the minority but I expect someone who is British to act like they are British especially when they are representing their country on the international stage.

• Like 1

Perhaps you think that - but crucially - that is not the way it is.

The way it increasingly is, is that international sportsmen and women adopt flags of convenience which is making international representative competition a farce.

• Like 1

My own personal opinion is that national anthems are a waste of time and I don't see what purpose they serve at sporting events. Tai is British, it says so on his race jacket. That's all that matters to me. You can debate the technicalities of his qualifications all you like. Looking forward to see him trying to become BRITAIN's first three time world champion next year and leading the World Cup campaign. And I would also like to see him and a GB team in the Pairs events as well.

It says japanese on the documents to my motorbike , dont make me japanese

44.7% did! But Tai might not be saying he is British.......only his passport says he is British.

Well maybe SOME voted to break away but that is not what you said. If Tai didn't want to be British why did he SAY that he was proud to wear this "bad boy", the Union Flag, in the World Cup?

Maybe, but 44.7% of those that went to vote, said yes. And who is to say that those that didn't vote, if they had to, would have tipped the balance to a 'yes'. Whichever way you argue the figures, a lot of Scots wanted to and probably still do want to, break from the UK. And in my opinion, fair enough.

How can you use an argument about the people "that did not vote would have voted yes"?. You can't argue about if's,but's and maybe's. I could say that they would have voted "no" but I can't because I don't know.

im all for people sharing views and opinions, but this thread is bizarre..can we not just get behind the national stadium, and team GB in a year that british speedway desperately need to succeed..

Nobody in world speedway will give Britain the publicity Tai can give. If you don't like a rider, so be it, but these accusations against possibly "englands" best ever rider are tiresome now

• Like 5

im all for people sharing views and opinions, but this thread is bizarre..can we not just get behind the national stadium, and team GB in a year that british speedway desperately need to succeed..

Nobody in world speedway will give Britain the publicity Tai can give. If you don't like a rider, so be it, but these accusations against possibly "englands" best ever rider are tiresome now

The publicity Tai could give British speedway if he hadnt turned his back on it !!!. any half decent journalist would tear him to pieces if he tried to big up British speedway , but chooses not to be part of it .

• Like 1

Maybe I'm in the minority but I expect someone who is British to act like they are British especially when they are representing their country on the international stage.

By "act British", do you mean tai shouldn't win? Would that be sufficiently British?
  • Like 3

I remain very disappointed that Tai isn't racing in our league. I was even more disappointed when asked about a berth over here next year, after winning the world title, he said he hadn't even given it a thought, that says it all doesn't it?

• Like 1

NOTHING mysterious about it ... as far as the FIM were concerned they were British as New Zealand had no direct affiliation with the sport's governing body and were represented by the ACU.

One of speedway's many oddities! I could never understand how a team known as GB was represented by just one Englishman (Ray Wilson) when it won the World Team Cup in 1971. I remember talking to non speedway fans who used to think it laughable that the internal politics within speedway allowed Aussies and Kiwis to represent Great Britain! Just another example whereby federations (whether the ACU, FIM, SCB, BSPA etc) were unconnected causing confusion and there I say, derision, amongst non fans. Not surprising that speedway always appeared to suffer when it came to be taken seriously!

It says japanese on the documents to my motorbike , dont make me japanese

No, it means your bike is Japanese. Tai's race jacket says Britain, he is representing Britain, therefore he is British and as I am supporting the British team, that's all I need to know.

• Like 6

I remain very disappointed that Tai isn't racing in our league. I was even more disappointed when asked about a berth over here next year, after winning the world title, he said he hadn't even given it a thought, that says it all doesn't it?

WHY? Plenty of people, not just sportsmen or women, ply their trade abroad but are proud to represent Britain when given the chance. Tai is passionate about wanting Britain to succeed at international level.

Perhaps at BV next year we will have a chance especially if Scott Nicholls can be persuaded to ride on his home track alongside, for example, Tai, Harris and Lambert.

One of speedway's many oddities! I could never understand how a team known as GB was represented by just one Englishman (Ray Wilson) when it won the World Team Cup in 1971. I remember talking to non speedway fans who used to think it laughable that the internal politics within speedway allowed Aussies and Kiwis to represent Great Britain! Just another example whereby federations (whether the ACU, FIM, SCB, BSPA etc) were unconnected causing confusion and there I say, derision, amongst non fans. Not surprising that speedway always appeared to suffer when it came to be taken seriously!

To be fair other sports such as Football, Rugby Union and Cricket do the same or worse. Just look at the makeup of the Japanese Rugby team, The Irish Football team and yes even the English Cricket team that jumped on the distant relative get out or the limited domicile rule all of which are more farcical than than Mauger Briggs etc representing GB

WHY? Plenty of people, not just sportsmen or women, ply their trade abroad but are proud to represent Britain when given the chance. Tai is passionate about wanting Britain to succeed at international level.

Perhaps at BV next year we will have a chance especially if Scott Nicholls can be persuaded to ride on his home track alongside, for example, Tai, Harris and Lambert.

Once upon a time it was a given that almost all World Champions would be riding in Britain , oh how the sport has sunk.

As far as Tai is concerned it is highly debatable as to whether he would have gone on to become World Champion without his British League experience

I actually found it very disappointing when, during the Austalian GP Tai seemed to be proud to sing the Australian National anthem but laughed his way through the British Anthem with his hat on. Not interested in the Royal Family but i do think it was a bit of an insult to his "fellow" Brits. So it's hardly surprising he turned his back on our domestic scene when he had the ability in his Position as World Champion to really give British Speedway a boost.

• Like 1