British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Are There Any Characters Within The Sport Anymore?

Terry Kelly was one I used to look forward to seeing whenever Workington came to Paisley or Coatbridge in the mid seventies . He was done when he eventually became a Tiger , but when he was at Workington he was a decent rider and was full of fun . And he had a temper too as I witnessed him lose it one night at Paisley . But most of the time his antics were light hearted and added to the enjoyment of the speedway

• Like 3

Terry Kelly was one I used to look forward to seeing whenever Workington came to Paisley or Coatbridge in the mid seventies . He was done when he eventually became a Tiger , but when he was at Workington he was a decent rider and was full of fun . And he had a temper too as I witnessed him lose it one night at Paisley . But most of the time his antics were light hearted and added to the enjoyment of the speedway

From that Workington Team you can add 'Taffy' Owen. I travelled from a Crewe Reunion once in a Taxi with both 'Taffy' Owen and Terry Kelly. We were returning from the Reunion to our Hotel when 'Taffy' said - where do you live Ian - Sunderland I replied. Taffy said to the Driver "take us to Sunderland then". I had to jump in sharpish and say the Hotel name (which I can't remember now it might have been the Crewe Arms) which was our real destination.

Both Terry and Taffy were true Characters, great fun and great blokes.

Very happy days....

• Like 1

Wasn't he an amateur boxer also? Remember seeing him ride in a pair of Ivan Mauger's leathers.

Edited by steve roberts

So back to the original question. The only suggestion riding in the EL these days is Garrity, honestly I can't think of another!

It depends on the definition of “character” and you could make the point that the legacy of “characters” grow with time when people become misty eyed and start to reminisce.

A few cases being ..... I would say Hans Andresen has “character” he is pretty funny when he is on the TV, speaks his mind and has been involved in a fair few moments of controversy over the years. In 20 or 30 years’ time his antics during the World Cup Final at Poole are the kind of thing that should be eulogised over and sound uber controversial because you can add arms and legs to it, just like most story’s from so called “characters” back in the day.

To give it context “Yeah Hans Andersen was a character, he cost Britain a World Cup by team riding a Swedish rider around for 4 laps” there was also a race between him and Nicholls (I think) at Peterborough and it is the kind of thing that will look absurd if watched on You Tube in 30 years, so much so that you could frame it as par for the course for him, even though like riders of 30 years ago, it actually wasn’t, it was a moment that can be countered with the hours of footage showing Andersen in dull meetings and not doing much, you don’t really have that for the characters of the 60/70 and 80s.

20 years ago a Kozza Smith who is a modern day, and far more talented version of someone like Buzz Burrows would have been seen as a “character” because, he, at times, is a bit daft on the bike. I would also add Fisher and someone like Wilkinson who would probably fall under that category as well.

Tungate probably would have been a character because he ploughed into Auty after a race last season, Richard Hall another because he punted Auty (trend) on the ground? It seems chasing people with a shovel or half killing riders like Nagy (Matousek) was seen as “character” 20 years ago, so in that case Hall definitely would have been seen as a character as not only did he kick someone of the ground he was involved in a fight during one of the most hotly anticipated domestic meetings in 30 years so you could frame him as such.

The Tungate example is probably a decent test case re how characters could grow 30 years ago but probably can’t now.

30 years ago Tungate knocking Auty off would have been able to grow far more arms, legs and “character” due to Chinese Whispers rather than people clicking on the internet and watching the incident, which sort of squashes it rather than him being an evil villain by the time he reaches the next track, booed and it feels like every incident involving him is the act of the king of evil.

As well as those points, there is of course the fact that news moves fast now, incidents come and go and there is so much more content readily available and thus things are far more forgettable.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 3

Is Dick Barrie still involved in the sport? He was always ready to wind up the opposition and add spice to a meeting! 'Uncle' Len once questioned Dick's patriotism when Dick was presenting a Test match between England and the USA at Poole. Len was moaning at Dick's impartiality and that he wasn't taking the side of England. Len said "Where's your national pride?" to which Dick replied "Back up in Scotland where it belongs!" announcing it all those present!

So any rider that hits another rider is a character? Tigers characters that spring to mind grievesy, jason lyons, charlie mckinna and Stewart Dickson. Garrity defo a character and cheeky chappy. Darcy has surely got to get a mention fits the bill and has ticked most boxes when qualification for being a character is discussed.

Edited by baba

Characters within the sport is just not about the riders, as I have tried to elaborate with examples within this thread, but those on the peripheral. Presenters, Announcers, Fans, Referees, Team Managers etc etc are all part of the same package (after all speedway is not only a sport but an entertainment) in their various guises. Basically anybody who brightens up proceedings by adding their own particular flair which can leave a lasting impression.

Edited by steve roberts

Characters within the sport is just not about the riders, as I have tried to elaborate with examples within this thread, but those on the peripheral. Presenters, Announcers, Fans, Referees, Team Managers etc etc are all part of the same package (after all speedway is not only a sport but an entertainment) in their various guises. Basically anybody who brightens up proceedings by adding their particular flair which can leave a lasting impression.

the bugle boy on foxhall back straight was another..

• Like 1

I think part of the issue is the TV coverage. Nowadays all the top riders are interviewed during the Sky coverage and the nature of the interview doesn't exactly allow them to show a great deal of "character".

"We really need the points tonight"

"are you going to make any changes?"

"Its a bit greasy but there should be some good lines later"

As Charlie asks the same inanities season after season, meeting after meeting, any individuality is quashed. And they mustn't forget to apologise for any offence when any "industrial" language is overheard. Fifteen years of Sky coverage and the only rider I remember who I really enjoyed listening to, such that I can still remember him talking, was the wonderful Roman Povazhny.

45 years ago we saw the opposition once or twice a season and that was it. Garry Middleton was, I think most agree, a "character" but I don't think I ever heard him speak. My exposure to him was his annual visit, the occasional guest appearance, and his Speedway Star column. Yet he had a reputation at Dudley Wood in the early 70's that would have added a fair few to the gate.

My advice to any rider wishing to be a modern day character. Keep the helmet and goggles on and never utter a word to the camera.

• Like 1

Characters within the sport is just not about the riders, as I have tried to elaborate with examples within this thread, but those on the peripheral. Presenters, Announcers, Fans, Referees, Team Managers etc etc are all part of the same package (after all speedway is not only a sport but an entertainment) in their various guises. Basically anybody who brightens up proceedings by adding their own particular flair which can leave a lasting impression.

Oh well in that case I'll nominate Peter York.

• Like 1

How about the flag waver Paul Johnson? Brought colour to the start line in his pink outfit and flamboyant flag waving!

Has anyone mentioned Chris Holder, he always gives interesting, not run of the mill, interviews as does Nicki P I guess.

David Norris was certainly a "character"

Shane Parker and Joe Screen had their own way of doing stuff...

A lot of the things mentioned on this thread that 'characters' used to do would be very cringeworthy in the modern era.

Modern fans aren't taken in as easily I'm afraid and that is one of the problems the sport has..