British Speedway Forum

certainly recall mike lanham winning a couple of ht8s, that probably caused even more excitement when the opposing

side thought they were going to get a cheap 5.1

certainly recall mike lanham winning a couple of ht8s, that probably caused even more excitement when the opposing

side thought they were going to get a cheap 5.1

Nobody is arguing against that Colin.

The old tac sub rule was much more fun, seeing your lesser riders beat their top guys on a tac sub ride was great... discussing when the tac subs would be used was great etc.. it gave far more tactical options to the losing team..

That isn't why WK is upset though, he's upset because he thinks tactical rules are unfair.. he just doesn't grasp that what he watched for nigh on 50 years operated a tactical system that gave far more options to the losing team and as a result was more unfair to the winning team.

Hence him boycotting the sport on the premise of 'fairness' makes absolutely no sense at all.

I think all on here would like to see play off style commitment/crowds week in week out. I cant think of a sport that has

lost over 50 to 70% of the crowd the way speedway has. its lost it in a period of weekly TV coverage (not as good

as world of sport), but it is weekly.. There has to be an underlying reason for this, or did everyone just get fed up?

double points, rider sharing, weakening of teams, GP introduction, multiple country leagues, value for money, team colours,

stadium facilities, presentation? theres a whole host of reasons, but unless clubs get there gates back to 1,000 plus,

this sport could become the next "british pubs" or "telephone box" in the next few years...extinct.

Don't forget the majority of the fans had long gone before playoffs, double pts came along.

agree, been on decline for a while, but there appears no sign of changing, frankly I only see it getting worse.

think the GP and World cup works because it has lock-tite rules. League rules and teams are very flexible

No I'm not!!

Their should be NO Tactical Rides and NO Tactical Substitutes. Teams should stand or fall on the number of points they score on the Track. There should be no other amendments to Rules to fiddle closer Results.

NOW THAT WOULD BE FAIR!!

I have NEVER argued for that. (See my above Post).

Might be fair but bloomin' boring!! I like close meetings though it is annoying when it costs you meetings but hey-ho. It's the price you pay for sky being involved.

Might be fair but bloomin' boring!! I like close meetings though it is annoying when it costs you meetings but hey-ho. It's the price you pay for sky being involved.

That is my exact point about unfairness. Doesn't happen very often - but crucially - it can and does happen.

I never really got into the artificial tension brought in by keeping the scores close.For me the excitement is on the track and how the racing goes,not the statistics in the programme.If the racing is poor I get bored even if the scores are close

I never really got into the artificial tension brought in by keeping the scores close.For me the excitement is on the track and how the racing goes,not the statistics in the programme.If the racing is poor I get bored even if the scores are close

I totally agree. I've never understood why some get quite orgasmic about the t/r or the t/s ride. I can just about see something of merit in the t/r if the rider in question goes off 15 metres but otherwise I can't see the point. A good race is a good race whatever the helmet colour.

That is my exact point about unfairness. Doesn't happen very often - but crucially - it can and does happen.

But you went when tac subs changed far more results than double points ...you comments have nothing to with unfairness

• Like 1

No it isn't your exact point because you attended for 50 years.. then when it was changed to a fairer rule, you stopped going.

But you went when tac subs changed far more results than double points ...you comments have nothing to with unfairness

No it isn't your exact point because you attended for 50 years.. then when it was changed to a fairer rule, you stopped going.

Oh Dear.

Yes - I attended Speedway in the days of the old Tactical Substitute - I didn't agree with it then - but - I put up with it.

Yes - I also attended for many years watching the Tactical Ride which used to incense me. Eventually I got to the point of saying to myself - I don't need this - for Health reasons alone I am packing it in until the Double Points is no more. If it stays - no more Speedway for me.

I don't have to explain myself to you two but I have done so in good faith.

Now if 'Dumb and Dumber' would take my reasons for packing in as the truth - perhaps we can move on.

I think when you say you "can't be bothered changing arrangements " in order to watch the Newcastle matches where the tr rule is not in force (ie. The koc matches) it weakens your argument that the tr rule is the only factor. Surely if you still loved your speedway you'd cease the opportunity to go to those?

End of the day you've stated your position so many times that regardless of the truth you can't back down now,and Noone categorically prove/disprove your statement either way.

• Like 1

I think when you say you "can't be bothered changing arrangements " in order to watch the Newcastle matches where the tr rule is not in force (ie. The koc matches) it weakens your argument that the tr rule is the only factor. Surely if you still loved your speedway you'd cease the opportunity to go to those?

End of the day you've stated your position so many times that regardless of the truth you can't back down now,and Noone categorically prove/disprove your statement either way.

I think you will find the word you are looking for is - 'seize'. 'Cease', in my case fits very well though.

Again - I don't have to explain myself to you - but - I will. I am involved at Church on Sundays so it is not possible for me to get to the Speedway at Newcastle at the moment. If, however, if the Double Points were dropped I would change things around in such a way that would enable me to attend. It is difficult for a one off Meeting.

You know I take people's Posts at face value most of the time - you and a couple of others who shall remain nameless (you know who they are) always want to know the far end of a fa*t.

I hope my explanation satisfies you, though I do doubt it.

So for 50 years you attended a sport that incensed you on a weekly basis..

Only when it was changed to incense you less frequently, you decided you'd had enough.

Okey doke. We've got the picture. :)

I accept that you don't like tactical rides, but I would also suggest you simply weren't enjoying the speedway as much as you had in the past and therefore the part you disliked (tacticals) over rode any enjoyment you still had.

Edited by BWitcher