British Speedway Forum
KIRKYLANE

Bbc Sports Personality

Just to show the beebs interest in motorsport they announced today that they are cancelling their formula one contract three years early seems it will be channel four from now on.

Edited by barncooseboy

How does Andy Murray win it?

Didnt win a slam and ok he was a big factor in the Davis Cup win but as world number 2 surely he is expected to pretty much beat everyone he plays! We won the Davis Cup because the other guys stepped up, and lets be fair he isnt even captain!

No way should Hamilton win it. Only had 1 guy to beat in a farce of a sport.

Had to be Sinfield (and im not a rugby fan) Farah or Froome

I don't know why people dignify SPOTY by discussing it. The whole thing is a total farce, and even though no-one would deny the visibility of speedway is very low these days, to not highlight a British World Champion of a professional sport is a total disgrace.

Unless the BBC cover the sport in question they are not interested

• Like 2

I think there is a certain amount of truth in that.

Was Harris guesting for Tai, in true Speedway fashion?

No they just wanted a British rider who raced in Britain

Didnt win a slam and ok he was a big factor in the Davis Cup win but as world number 2 surely he is expected to pretty much beat everyone he plays! We won the Davis Cup because the other guys stepped up, and lets be fair he isnt even captain!

No way should Hamilton win it. Only had 1 guy to beat in a farce of a sport.

Had to be Sinfield (and im not a rugby fan) Farah or Froome

That was are first Davis Cup in about 100 years with Murray winning all his games so not hard understand how he won it .. not sure how the others step up as nearly all the points were won by him in all formats

Just to show the beebs interest in motorsport they announced today that they are cancelling their formula one contract three years early seems it will be channel four from now on.

Not really it just a case of money ..Horse Racing has gone Golf is going as well as the Lakeside Darts etc

Yea look at all of the Boxing they have shown this year .

Tyson Fury should have won it for upsetting all the bleeding hearts

• Like 2

No problem at all with Andy Murray winning SPOTY. Where I have a problem is naming a short list. Woffinden would have a better chance and a raised profile if the short list didn't exist though I don't think he would gain enough votes to win outright.

• Like 1

I don't believe they were there last night, but they were a couple of years ago!!

ps. I watched the programme last night but must have blinked or nodded off before Tai was apparently mentioned?!

You're right. It was actually 2010.

Rosco tweeted an old photo last night from then and I wasn't paying attention.

Well next year, if you don't play tennis, snooker, or are a gymnast or athlete, you won't win it...

Diabolical!!

How can you have the title "Sports Personality Of The Year" when you only cover around 4% of professional sports???

I don't really expect Tai or another other British world champion from a minority sport to be nominated unless it is something truly exceptional. Having said that, it did seem like a particularly flawed SPOTY this year. Andy Murray is a top sportsman, no doubt about that. But he had a below par year in the Grand Slams (he was thrashed by Federer at Wimbledon) and the Davis Cup (despite the BBC hype) ain't all that big. The best player he beat throughout the whole run was 10th ranked Tsonga. No Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. In fact Federer and Wawrinka gave it a miss this year for Switzerland, which shows were it really sits in the priorities of the very best. Just because we have been rubbish at tennis for 80 years doesn't make it a greater achievement this year. I also felt a bit uncomfortable at the pandering to the hosts. Northern Ireland winners in unsung hero, coach and lifetime achievement categories. All worthy contributors, but it did seem slightly more than coincidental that they all won in Belfast. If next year's awards are in Truro, Chris Harris might be in with a shout...

• Like 1

I don't really expect Tai or another other British world champion from a minority sport to be nominated unless it is something truly exceptional. Having said that, it did seem like a particularly flawed SPOTY this year. Andy Murray is a top sportsman, no doubt about that. But he had a below par year in the Grand Slams (he was thrashed by Federer at Wimbledon) and the Davis Cup (despite the BBC hype) ain't all that big. The best player he beat throughout the whole run was 10th ranked Tsonga. No Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. In fact Federer and Wawrinka gave it a miss this year for Switzerland, which shows were it really sits in the priorities of the very best. Just because we have been rubbish at tennis for 80 years doesn't make it a greater achievement this year. I also felt a bit uncomfortable at the pandering to the hosts. Northern Ireland winners in unsung hero, coach and lifetime achievement categories. All worthy contributors, but it did seem slightly more than coincidental that they all won in Belfast. If next year's awards are in Truro, Chris Harris might be in with a shout...

.... you'll be watching it in black and white :lol:

Edited by ancient mariner
  • Like 1

Because its tennis. Posh sport. Not hard to figure out. The BBC is supposed to be an impartial organisation but it is about as impartial as Donald Trump. This is the mob which has twice awarded their "prestigious" trophy to a member of the Royal family.

Edited by macinter

What strikes me as very odd was the massive decline in Lewis Hamilton's vote from 12 months ago. Winning a third world title is a better achievement than winning a second and moves him into the ranks of the all-time greats.

How odd that he received a mere fraction of the votes he did 12 months ago. Nothing to do with the BBC's announcement the following day that they are dropping F1, I suppose?

A cynic would suggest that someone is making up the voting figures.

All the best

Rob