British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

How Do We Attract A New Young Audience?

Well done to Philip Rising for instigating this thread. There are lots of interesting comments and pleasingly the ones offering suggestions for how to address this issue far outnumber the ones saying what's the point, we're doomed.

As I read through I found myself grouping the ideas under various headings:

1. Market speedway based on what makes it unique (or different)

* the spectacle of the crashes

* the hard man ability of riders to walk away from nasty crashes and continue racing / recover from broken bones within weeks

* the ability to mix with riders pre- and post-racing

* the uniqueness of the bike, ie no brakes, incredible acceleration, looks different to other bikes, etc.

* the adrenalin rush / dangerous / edgy nature

* the versatility of the race format, ie you can have individual meetings, team meetings, pairs meetings, fours meetings

* the statistics

2. Improve how speedway is marketed to the general public

* survey different groups, eg pre-teenagers, teenagers, 20yr olds, 30yr olds, 40yr olds, females, biker groups, etc to find out what they want / dislike and act on their feedback

* utilise posters / flyers / local media for broadcast advertising

* push match reports and announcements etc to social and traditional media

* (re)create supporters groups to help with the above plus raise awareness and encourage loyalty via word of mouth and other events

* revamp websites and enhance digital the footprint across all forms of social media

* affinity marketing via local businesses and other organisations

* travel schemes that make it easier / more cost-effective for people to get to venues

3. Improve what happens on race day

* allow kids access to the riders / bikes before racing for selfies, merchandise, autographs, etc.

* other pre-racing entertainment, eg face painting, live bands / entertainment, Walk The Track experiences, etc.

* improve mid-racing entertainment, eg interact with fans via social media, Centre Green viewing experiences, show replays / action / pit cams on big screens, show / announce more statistics, special effects / fireworks

* programme / scoring apps

* strict time limits between races, prohibit returning to pits for re-runs etc.

* enable fans to access other things they would otherwise be missing if they went to the speedway, eg other sporting events

4. Improve the venue

* better sound systems

* administer paint and running repairs to facilities

* return centre greens to grass

* replace mud with tarmac

* better food / drink on offer

* improve track covers, drainage, etc. to better combat adverse weather

5. Improve the product

* remove rules that make speedway harder for a non-fan to follow

* permit acts of aggression that create heroes and villains

* increase areas of discretion for team managers that can impact on meeting result

* restrict bike speed / specifications so racing is close and less costly to participate

* increase the number of races on offer / re-introduce (meaningful) second halves

* reward teams for retaining riders each year so it is easier for fans to strengthen the loyalty bond with their team

* (re)introduce novelty events, eg match races

* establish independent governance to control the administration of the sport

* handicap gates to increase likelihood of overtaking in races

6. Pricing

* affordable family tickets

* kids go free

* young persons' discounts

* bundle entrance with food / drink offers

* discount food / drink so it is cheaper than local pub etc

* discount for away fans

* loyalty card / reward schemes

* cheaper tickets (at start of season) to entice newcomers

* open gates / reduce admission after a certain point to entice newcomers

7. Learn from others

* what makes ice hockey an exciting evening

* copy the razzmatazz of darts

* how does one-day cricket keep crowds entertained between points of excitement

Philip, I don't know what you intend to do off the back of this but it would be great to see some effort made to put some of these ideas into action. Clearly some things are easier and more cost-effective to do than others, and a number will require the co-operation of promoters, stadium owners, etc. That said I hope something does become of the collective efforts of those of us that want speedway to re-emerge as an entertaining sport to be proud of.

I like much of what you suggest! Good article!

You can't blame the riders as they have a living to make, and their careers could conceivably end tomorrow one way or another.

now this is where speedway is well and truly stuck in the dark ages, it isn't rocket science but when riders pay cheques are more than what comes through the gate on a race night then the promoter,track, speedway is fekked, riders are a bigger part of the problem as anything.

The riders know the dangers of the sport when they first enter it but lets be honest when a rider can earn more in one night than the average man earns in two weeks then there in lays a problem, sadly the average rider only works 7-8 months of the year.

• Like 4

Well done to Philip Rising for instigating this thread. There are lots of interesting comments and pleasingly the ones offering suggestions for how to address this issue far outnumber the ones saying what's the point, we're doomed.

As I read through I found myself grouping the ideas under various headings:

1. Market speedway based on what makes it unique (or different)

* the spectacle of the crashes

* the hard man ability of riders to walk away from nasty crashes and continue racing / recover from broken bones within weeks

* the ability to mix with riders pre- and post-racing

* the uniqueness of the bike, ie no brakes, incredible acceleration, looks different to other bikes, etc.

* the adrenalin rush / dangerous / edgy nature

* the versatility of the race format, ie you can have individual meetings, team meetings, pairs meetings, fours meetings

* the statistics

2. Improve how speedway is marketed to the general public

* survey different groups, eg pre-teenagers, teenagers, 20yr olds, 30yr olds, 40yr olds, females, biker groups, etc to find out what they want / dislike and act on their feedback

* utilise posters / flyers / local media for broadcast advertising

* push match reports and announcements etc to social and traditional media

* (re)create supporters groups to help with the above plus raise awareness and encourage loyalty via word of mouth and other events

* revamp websites and enhance digital the footprint across all forms of social media

* affinity marketing via local businesses and other organisations

* travel schemes that make it easier / more cost-effective for people to get to venues

3. Improve what happens on race day

* allow kids access to the riders / bikes before racing for selfies, merchandise, autographs, etc.

* other pre-racing entertainment, eg face painting, live bands / entertainment, Walk The Track experiences, etc.

* improve mid-racing entertainment, eg interact with fans via social media, Centre Green viewing experiences, show replays / action / pit cams on big screens, show / announce more statistics, special effects / fireworks

* programme / scoring apps

* strict time limits between races, prohibit returning to pits for re-runs etc.

* enable fans to access other things they would otherwise be missing if they went to the speedway, eg other sporting events

4. Improve the venue

* better sound systems

* administer paint and running repairs to facilities

* return centre greens to grass

* replace mud with tarmac

* better food / drink on offer

* improve track covers, drainage, etc. to better combat adverse weather

5. Improve the product

* remove rules that make speedway harder for a non-fan to follow

* permit acts of aggression that create heroes and villains

* increase areas of discretion for team managers that can impact on meeting result

* restrict bike speed / specifications so racing is close and less costly to participate

* increase the number of races on offer / re-introduce (meaningful) second halves

* reward teams for retaining riders each year so it is easier for fans to strengthen the loyalty bond with their team

* (re)introduce novelty events, eg match races

* establish independent governance to control the administration of the sport

* handicap gates to increase likelihood of overtaking in races

6. Pricing

* affordable family tickets

* kids go free

* young persons' discounts

* bundle entrance with food / drink offers

* discount food / drink so it is cheaper than local pub etc

* discount for away fans

* loyalty card / reward schemes

* cheaper tickets (at start of season) to entice newcomers

* open gates / reduce admission after a certain point to entice newcomers

7. Learn from others

* what makes ice hockey an exciting evening

* copy the razzmatazz of darts

* how does one-day cricket keep crowds entertained between points of excitement

Philip, I don't know what you intend to do off the back of this but it would be great to see some effort made to put some of these ideas into action. Clearly some things are easier and more cost-effective to do than others, and a number will require the co-operation of promoters, stadium owners, etc. That said I hope something does become of the collective efforts of those of us that want speedway to re-emerge as an entertaining sport to be proud of.

GREAT summary which I will be passing on to Buster Chapman in the hope that he and his colleagues will at least take a serious look at it ... which in the case of Buster at least I am sure he will.

• Like 2

One thing that used to happen in some places but you don't see so much now.

Pre meeting parade. Instead of having the riders standng on an old truck with some old fanfare or whatever blaring, have them walking down the greyhound track, close to the fans, slapping kids as as they go.

Make the fans feel closer to the riders.

Some way old buiding up the "team" aspect needs to be maintained too. To some people it looks like 4 blokes going round a track - but it is more than that.

Keep the "match" element upfront rather than just: "And the result of heat blah blah blah in a time of...."

• Like 1

now this is where speedway is well and truly stuck in the dark ages, it isn't rocket science but when riders pay cheques are more than what comes through the gate on a race night then the promoter,track, speedway is fekked, riders are a bigger part of the problem as anything.

The riders know the dangers of the sport when they first enter it but lets be honest when a rider can earn more in one night than the average man earns in two weeks then there in lays a problem, sadly the average rider only works 7-8 months of the year.

The riders can do a lot to help. How many of them interact with the fans. You may get the occasional vertical arm in the air on a parade lap but very few of them do much more. I get sick or riders spending longer "gardening" at the tapes than they do racing and they then disappear into the pits faster than you can say 5-1. They need to add to the entertainment factor.

They could easily do celebration wheelies, make them individual like football goal celebrations. The odd kick at a bike when they lose. There are loads of "pantomime" actions they could do. It may be slightly fake but kids and big kids love it, they feel involved and that riders care.

That on its own won't solve anything but every little helps.

• Like 4

And put the phone to the ref's box back by the start line and allow (encourage!) riders to use it.

• Like 3

GREAT summary which I will be passing on to Buster Chapman in the hope that he and his colleagues will at least take a serious look at it ... which in the case of Buster at least I am sure he will.

Do that but they should have considered it ALL!!!!

The riders can do a lot to help. How many of them interact with the fans. You may get the occasional vertical arm in the air on a parade lap but very few of them do much more. I get sick or riders spending longer "gardening" at the tapes than they do racing and they then disappear into the pits faster than you can say 5-1. They need to add to the entertainment factor.

They could easily do celebration wheelies, make them individual like football goal celebrations. The odd kick at a bike when they lose. There are loads of "pantomime" actions they could do. It may be slightly fake but kids and big kids love it, they feel involved and that riders care.

That on its own won't solve anything but every little helps.

The whole lot of WWF is fake , but it seems to thrive . they say you can't polish a turd but WWF has managed to do it ,

• Like 1

Sure, but the fault of paying more than the sport can afford is entirely that of the promoters. In what other walk of life would an employee turn round to their employer and say "I think I'm being paid too much, you should pay me less"?

I don't buy into the "it's a dangerous sport" reasoning, but the reality is that most professional riders won't be making a great living by the time expenses are taken into account.

I've long suspected that far too many people wander into speedway assuming it's an individual sport and just watch 15 unconnected races, only interested in who wins the races., maybe hoping for a bit of close racing and incident.

Speedway learned in Britain early on that making team racing paramount would give the sport a firmer foundation and so it proved, with the 'nine day wonder' maturing eventually, although many of those early leagues were incomplete.

It's the team aspect that's still vital. We have to have the public understanding that if the race up front is drawn out that race for the third place point could be vital. Team racing allowed interest in races to go beyond the race winner.

We need to give supporters teams that they can identify with; riders that show commitment to the 'cause', that mix socially with the supporters , aren't constantly riding for someone else and won't be automatically wandering off somewhere the next season.

We need stability in teams, full teams, not guests and teams that supporters can feel involved with. My happiest days in the sport were when I had close involvement with my team, knew the riders and my fellow supporters and felt part of it all, win or lose. I watched young riders grow into men and move on within the sport and watched their progress with pride.

If we lost, well at least it was MY team that had tried, not just a bunch of individuals just testing bikes with their minds elsewhere, thinking of richer pickings.

The present situation has made winning all that matters - the team are just there to get the wins. The racing doesn't matter and the sense of involvement practically gone. For a sport surviving on three-figure gates that is a toxic situation. When the wins run out, so do the fans.

• Like 1

I don't buy into the "it's a dangerous sport" reasoning, but the reality is that most professional riders won't be making a great living by the time expenses are taken into account.

Most riders don't know what day of the week it is, imo their pay is very good, compare it to the average mans pay cheque.

I've long suspected that far too many people wander into speedway assuming it's an individual sport and just watch 15 unconnected races, only interested in who wins the races., maybe hoping for a bit of close racing and incident.

Speedway learned in Britain early on that making team racing paramount would give the sport a firmer foundation and so it proved, with the 'nine day wonder' maturing eventually, although many of those early leagues were incomplete.

It's the team aspect that's still vital. We have to have the public understanding that if the race up front is drawn out that race for the third place point could be vital. Team racing allowed interest in races to go beyond the race winner.

We need to give supporters teams that they can identify with; riders that show commitment to the 'cause', that mix socially with the supporters , aren't constantly riding for someone else and won't be automatically wandering off somewhere the next season.

We need stability in teams, full teams, not guests and teams that supporters can feel involved with. My happiest days in the sport were when I had close involvement with my team, knew the riders and my fellow supporters and felt part of it all, win or lose. I watched young riders grow into men and move on within the sport and watched their progress with pride.

If we lost, well at least it was MY team that had tried, not just a bunch of individuals just testing bikes with their minds elsewhere, thinking of richer pickings.

The present situation has made winning all that matters - the team are just there to get the wins. The racing doesn't matter and the sense of involvement practically gone. For a sport surviving on three-figure gates that is a toxic situation. When the wins run out, so do the fans.

there are no teams anymore , even the national league is full of superstars whose only idea of Team is that they all have the same name on ntheir paycheck , as far as the sport goes their team mates wear the same race jacket but helping any other member to score points only tarnishes your superiority

........Grachan.........Pre meeting parade. Instead of having the riders standing on an old truck with some old fanfare or whatever blaring, have them walking down the greyhound track, close to the fans, slapping kids as as they go.

Good idea but not possible at some tracks due to the fort knox type barriers in place. At Coventry there is approximately a 15 foot high fence to protect everyone from any stray Stock Cars deciding to leave the track.