British Speedway Forum
norbold

The Dominant Rider Of Their Time

Cant agree with the last two.

2006-2010 would be Pedersen for me. One the title twice in that time and had a third (?) as well. And was also top notch in the leagues. I think it was 07 where he produced probably the most dominant world title year ive seen. Crump was class though, id say its a hard one. Be interesting to see their polish/uk/ swedish stats for that period

Also tai surely from 2013 to now?

• Like 1

Here we are - have also included Gollob as clearly the third most consistent rider over that period. And gollob is clearly third, but Pedersen v Crump is quite tight with Nicki getting the verdict overall

Poland

.............Pedersen Crump Gollob

2005 ........9.72 ......9.11 ......9.76

2006 ......10.16 ....10.64 ......9.17

2007 ......10.92 ......9.17 ......9.24

2008 ......11.10 ....10.34 ......9.44

2009 ........9.90 ......9.98 ......8.98

2010 ........9.77 ......8.37 ....10.70

Sweden

2005 ......10.00 ......7.26 ......8.52 Crump - 5 matches only

2006 ......10.17 ......9.60 ......8.19 Crump - 3 matches only

2007 ......10.74 ......9.96 ......9.39

2008 ......10.89 ....10.11 ......8.93

2009 ........9.51 ....10.65 ......8.11

2010 ........8.00 ......9.12 ......9.25

Edited by arnieg

Here we are - have also included Gollob as clearly the third most consistent rider over that period. And gollob is clearly third, but Pedersen v Crump is quite tight with Nicki getting the verdict overall

Poland

2005 ........9.72 ......9.11 ......9.76

2006 ......10.16 ....10.64 ......9.17

2007 ......10.92 ......9.17 ......9.24

2008 ......11.10 ....10.34 ......9.44

2009 ........9.90 ......9.98 ......8.98

2010 ........9.77 ......8.37 ....10.70

Sweden

2005 ......10.00 ......7.26 ......8.52 Crump - 5 matches only

2006 ......10.17 ......9.60 ......8.19 Crump - 3 matches only

2007 ......10.74 ......9.96 ......9.39

2008 ......10.89 ....10.11 ......8.93

2009 ........9.51 ....10.65 ......8.11

2010 ........8.00 ......9.12 ......9.25

But "arnieg" are you saying that Gollob was certainly.? third best behind Crump/Pedersen? Crump i see as a young lad before he rode was chuffed to bits he bettered his dad who believe me was top class.Pedersen i admire his grit ,longevity, class and he is still class but for me Gollob at his best would beat Pedersen.The roll of honour differs from that so credit where it is due Pedersen won three titles to Gollob's one end of i suppose but we all have our own opinions.

Not this debate again

Pedersen has always been a class above gollob, and the stats back it up.

It's a bit like pc vs Mauger and Olsen. Collins was the better racer, but when you look at their records it's hard to argue he is anything but third.

• Like 2

Nicki had two very good seasons in 2007 and 2008.

But when judging the overall record over the 5 seasons, it's Crumpie for me:

World Championship:

Crump Pedersen

2006 1st 3rd

2007 3rd 1st

2008 2nd 1st

2009 1st 6th

2010 3rd 10th

All the best

Rob

Not this debate again

Pedersen has always been a class above gollob, and the stats back it up.

Is the Roll of honour record gospel to you "Pinny? not for me as a example was Peter Collins not a better rider than Egon Muller and Jerzy Szczakiel the roll of honour says they all won a title each.! Edited by Sidney the robin

No its not gospel but apart from the odd time Pedersen has been better than gollob throughout that peroid and only a numpty like yourself will argue otherwise.

Like him or loathe him Pedersen has been a class act.

Gollobs pathetic attitude to not trying if there aint a line around the fence doesnt help his cause and taking so long to master big circuits. Pedersen and crump, imo, were a level above gollob during that era. Excitement doesnt come into it - id prefer to watch charlie gjedde or frankie smart over hancock any day of the week - doesnt make them better riders

Gollob had an amazing career and was top value to watch, but I think both Crump and Pedersen are ahead of him.

It's arguable as to who is best between Crump and Pedersen (I'd say Crumpie, but there was definitely a spell when Nicki was on top), but Gollob doesn't really come into the argument. Too inconsistent, compared to the other two. Gollob had one year he was on it throughout (2010), but otherwise he's struggled to maintain his momentum throughout a whole season. Mind you, if it was a last-heat decider in the World Cup, he's the rider I'd want ahead of any of them.

All the best

Rob

Gollob had an amazing career and was top value to watch, but I think both Crump and Pedersen are ahead of him.

It's arguable as to who is best between Crump and Pedersen (I'd say Crumpie, but there was definitely a spell when Nicki was on top), but Gollob doesn't really come into the argument. Too inconsistent, compared to the other two. Gollob had one year he was on it throughout (2010), but otherwise he's struggled to maintain his momentum throughout a whole season. Mind you, if it was a last-heat decider in the World Cup, he's the rider I'd want ahead of any of them.

All the best

Rob

I believe Rob that Gollob's best was better than Pedersen full stop talent wise no comparison.Another example Pedersen three titles Ole three titles so on achievement roll of honour both level.Again Ole again for me a different class to Pedersen and Rob have you forgot Gollob has been on the podium a few times not a record to be sniffed at.

Edited by Phil

I started this thread to generate a bit of interest in some of the great names of the past and to get people's views on who they thought the greatest were.

I didn't start it so that two people could just behave like kids in the playground and hurl ridiculously childish insults at each other. Start up your own thread if you want to do that and leave this one to the grown ups.

Thank you.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 4

I wish that I was able to have seen more of Ronnie Moore. To think that he gave Britain a miss for a number of seasons during the sixties but then returned (1969) and carried on his high scoring as if he'd never been away. Now that's class in anyone's language!

I wish that I was able to have seen more of Ronnie Moore. To think that he gave Britain a miss for a number of seasons during the sixties but then returned (1969) and carried on his high scoring as if he'd never been away. Now that's class in anyone's language!

More up-to-date, I sometimes wonder just how great Todd Wiltshire would have been, without the shattered pelvis that took him out of the sport for 5 years. He spent all that time out of racing, yet got back into the Grand Prix within a couple of years of starting again (rode Germany in 1997, rode for Oxford in 1998, qualifying for GP by winning 1999 ICF at Poole). Reached his first two finals in the GP in 2000, as well.

How good would Todd have been if he hadn't been injured in 1992? A multiple World Champion?

All the best

Rob

The spread of dominance by Ivan on the original list is too broad. Yes, he won more individual world titles than anyone else during that period but there were some specific seasons where others were more prominent overall.

1971 was Ole Olsen's year, underlined by his brilliant last-to-first in the decisive race of the World Final, where he came from miles back to blow Ivan away. In the previous round, the European Final, he has passed Ivan before being hit by mechanical problems.

As previously mentioned, 1973 belonged to Anders Michanek, who won virtually every meeting that mattered apart from the ultimate one.

1976 had to be PC's year. In addition to what he did in such thrilling style at Katowice, he won about nine top individual meetings in Britain that season, including the GP, which was another sure sign of his consistency. Simmo was a close second to Peter that year, with Ivan behind them both.

As mentioned by Rob, I'd also give 1979 and 1980 to Mike Lee, who was the only man to beat Ivan in the '79 final.

Edited by tmc