British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

Statement regarding Periscope from BSPA.

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.30214

Ah, the good old BSPA there coming up with a flat-out ban, when streaming the odd race here and there might catch the imagination of potential new fans, or tempt back old ones. I go to watch a lot of bands and, with the exception of one or two 'big' acts, I've yet to see any musicians making similar threats to fans filming or streaming their performances. Polite requests to enjoy the moment rather than thinking of YouTubing songs, yes, but nothing like the BSPA who are so stuck in the past and heavy-handed it's laughable.

Currently amusing myself by imagining a large prearranged group of fans from one track all turning up and filming a meeting - see if the threat of a stadium ban still stands if it would mean there were no paying customers left at the track... :lol:

• Like 1

To surrender rights in this way should only be done if there's a fair amount of dosh involved, which I'm not sure there is in Sky's case any more. If there is an unfulfilled need, someone will fill it, seemingly amateurs on Periscope. There's so much that could be done with live streaming of speedway and with declining crowds at the tracks, this has to be looked at seriously and quickly. IMHO.

The whole deal is detrimental to the sport. I could go to Lynn tonight to see Belle Vue, I won't because the cold is not good news health wise but as it's likely to be a decent meeting I'd be more than happy to pay to watch it online. Pretty sure a fair few BV fans would too. I can't be the only one so Lynn and others I'm sure are missing out on additional revenue.

• Like 2

How is it the bspa keep getting things wrong, do the promoters not realise that either the odd race shown on periscope that could promote interest from old or new fans, or a complete meeting on a pay for view will bring in more fans and income than a ban, which will be almost impossible to impose anyway.

The whole deal is detrimental to the sport. I could go to Lynn tonight to see Belle Vue, I won't because the cold is not good news health wise but as it's likely to be a decent meeting I'd be more than happy to pay to watch it online. Pretty sure a fair few BV fans would too. I can't be the only one so Lynn and others I'm sure are missing out on additional revenue.

I live in the US and would love the opportunity to pay and watch. Are the rights they have sold to Sky worldwide rights or just UK rights?

How is it the bspa keep getting things wrong, do the promoters not realise that either the odd race shown on periscope that could promote interest from old or new fans, or a complete meeting on a pay for view will bring in more fans and income than a ban, which will be almost impossible to impose anyway.

The new regime do realise the problem and say they're going to address it but they're locked into an existing contract so any change will happen later rather than sooner.

• Like 2

problem is .lynn and others would not wind up with the money . it would go in the pockets the russells through gospeed . If iwere a promoter I would take no steps to ensure they take more money out of speedway

• Like 1

I'm against full-meeting streaming, whichever platform is used, BUT if the BSPA are so protective of their contract with SKY/GSI then SKY/GSI should be responsible for producing some sort of 'whizz-bang' promotional highlights video for every club to be able to personalise to their own club websites, local events/venues and social media options (those that utilise them?!)

#

I wonder at the recent BSPA fans forum, how many fans raised this topic as one of the major issues facing the sport from a fans' perspective?!

I asked this question when Buster Champman did a Q&A on Twitter. Basically said its something they are looking at in the future

I am not sure why the BSPA have taken such a hard nosed approach to this other than to protect their income through the gates.

As although they have an exclusive contract with Sky as long as the clubs don't do the filming themselves or promote that you can watch heats online then nothing more would have been said about this.

I can see this being very difficult to control especially in the busier tracks I am sure there will still be streams appearing

• Like 1

I am not sure why the BSPA have taken such a hard nosed approach to this other than to protect their income through the gates.

As although they have an exclusive contract with Sky as long as the clubs don't do the filming themselves or promote that you can watch heats online then nothing more would have been said about this.

I can see this being very difficult to control especially in the busier tracks I am sure there will still be streams appearing

So maybe by just issuing the statement the BSPA have covered themselves legally

• Like 1

I think its a great idea if periscope or such idea was used. As its been said previously Pete from Clean Cut Sports is very much the person in the know about setting these up as he has for a good while with the ice hockey. How many people subscribe is another matter but where sky can't make it and its available I cant imagine it effecting people who go regular anyway. I doubt its as easy as it looks and you wouldn't want to be paying for someone trying to stream a race from ground level and it all blurring past you. Done right this could be a really good way for people to watch meetings they just cant get to but the powers that currently hold the contract will not want to know. It could bring extra revenue and exposure to all clubs. Its not like they are daft enough not to think how many people watch sky sports through streaming websites anyhow that is free !! Riders are the worst asking for links :lol::nono:

Edited by Coventry_Bee