British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

Eastbourne on Facebook:

"Live broadcasting won't be permitted. It has been brought to our attention that in recent years many fans like to broadcast our events. Usually via social media streams or periscope. Unfortunately it breaches the rights of British Speedway and our club as a whole. Any users found to be broadcasting our meetings from an unofficial source will be banned from the stadium and legal action could be taken further. We hope you understand our decision. If you have any queries please contact Connor or Martin."

Wake up British Speedway, it's 2016....

I wonder if there is a sign outside of or at the turnstiles at the club informing people that they are not allowed to film any part of the meeting. What are Eastbourne going to do if someone uses a drone from outside the stadium to record and broadcast anything.

The people in charge of British speedway do almost nothing to promote the sport, does it not sink in that the showing of an odd race on social media may entice people to visit a track and watch it.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

Has anyone made a paid visit/purchase on an item/service/entertainment/sport after seeing/hearing it on YouTube or similar media outlet?

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a sign outside of or at the turnstiles at the club informing people that they are not allowed to film any part of the meeting. What are Eastbourne going to do if someone

uses a drone from outside the stadium to record and broadcast anything. The people in charge of British speedway do almost nothing to promote the sport, does it not sink in that the showing

of an odd race on social media may entice people to visit a track and watch it.

The club itself cannot do anything but operating drones over crowded areas without permission is not allowed (see quote below) it also have to abide to aviation laws regarding drones.

The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

B) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or

d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

So if you decide to operate a drone to film a meeting at Eastbourne, the club/promoter cannot stop you from doing that but it would quite possible be

a police matter since you, by breaching the CAA regulations, might be considered to be putting others at risk. You might also be considered to obstruct

aviation which might lead to heavy fines if you are found to be guilty.

The club itself cannot do anything but operating drones over crowded areas without permission is not allowed (see quote below) it also have to abide to aviation laws regarding drones.

So if you decide to operate a drone to film a meeting at Eastbourne, the club/promoter cannot stop you from doing that but it would quite possible be

a police matter since you, by breaching the CAA regulations, might be considered to be putting others at risk. You might also be considered to obstruct

aviation which might lead to heavy fines if you are found to be guilty.

Looking at those conditions for the non flying of drones:

over or within 150 mtrs of a congested area

over or near a public meeting of more than 1000 people

being within 50 mtrs of buildings etc

If you filmed from more than 50 mtrs away I would think none of the above would apply to Eastbourne Speedway. Those conditions could apply to other speedway tracks.

I wonder if there is a sign outside of or at the turnstiles at the club informing people that they are not allowed to film any part of the meeting. What are Eastbourne going to do if someone uses a drone from outside the stadium to record and broadcast anything.

The people in charge of British speedway do almost nothing to promote the sport, does it not sink in that the showing of an odd race on social media may entice people to visit a track and watch it.

What people so often fail to grasp is that British Speedway has a TV deal for exclusive rights....without which there would be no such thing as an Elite League (some may view that as a good thing).

Clubs are able to put racing clips onto their website, these come via a DVD company who are permitted (by the Club) to film the meetings....something that I would assume the video company pays for, and if not then the Club will make money from DVD sales.

It has become easier and easier for people to be able to record and/or live stream, but to do so won't entice people in (mostly poor footage from the grandstand/terraces on a mobile phone) but is more likely to hit Clubs themselves in the pocket imho.

It's going to be impossible for Clubs to prevent it completely, but I don't understand the want or need for someone to go out of their way to do it. Whilst I agree it shouldn't be a closed shop, races on websites shared via social media has to look better than some bit of footage from a mobile phone in terms of enticing people in?

Edited by Reliant Robin

What people so often fail to grasp is that British Speedway has a TV deal for exclusive rights....without which there would be no such thing as an Elite League (some may view that as a good thing).

Clubs are able to put racing clips onto their website, these come via a DVD company who are permitted (by the Club) to film the meetings....something that I would assume the video company pays for, and if not then the Club will make money from DVD sales.

It has become easier and easier for people to be able to record and/or live stream, but to do so won't entice people in (mostly poor footage from the grandstand/terraces on a mobile phone) but is more likely to hit Clubs themselves in the pocket imho.

It's going to be impossible for Clubs to prevent it completely, but I don't understand the want or need for someone to go out of their way to do it. Whilst I agree it shouldn't be a closed shop, races on websites shared via social media has to look better than some bit of footage from a mobile phone in terms of enticing people in?

Do not think that is quite right, it was mentioned a couple of days ago that clubs are not allowed to put clips of races on their websites without going through all the rigmarole of getting permission from go speed etc.

I do agree with your last para, anything that entices people to attend is needed.

Do not think that is quite right, it was mentioned a couple of days ago that clubs are not allowed to put clips of races on their websites without going through all the rigmarole of getting permission from go speed etc.

I do agree with your last para, anything that entices people to attend is needed.

From a conversation I've had with someone that would 100% know what can and cannot be done, footage on the host Clubs website is allowed (a restricted amount)....but only on their website.....not on Youtube etc, but will obviously end up being shared etc through the usual channels. It seems things aren't quite as restrictive as people like to think

From a conversation I've had with someone that would 100% know what can and cannot be done, footage on the host Clubs website is allowed (a restricted amount)....but only on their website.....not on Youtube etc, but will obviously end up being shared etc through the usual channels. It seems things aren't quite as restrictive as people like to think

If that is the case it is a shame that more clubs do not use that facility to promote their club and the sport.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

I fully grasp the nuances of exclusive broadcast agreements having had professional involvement. The mistake made by speedway was to allow the inclusion of these choking online restrictions. Normally broadcast rights and online rights are kept separate.

Yes we needed a deal to prop up the EL, just not the one we got.

• Like 1

I fully grasp the nuances of exclusive broadcast agreements having had professional involvement. The mistake made by speedway was to allow the inclusion of these choking online restrictions. Normally broadcast rights and online rights are kept separate.

You'll find that the inclusion of online rights within a broadcast deal is becoming much more frequent. The value of these deals is within the exclusivity, and with viewing as easy as it is online nowadays, these rights are often combined......

As you have said, a deal was needed to prop up the EL, and as a sport it hardly has the negotiating power of Premier League football in being able to lay out demands or restrict rights.

Can't help thinking that if the multi-million pound might of Sky cannot defeat the thieves then the BSPA will have no chance

But they do. Streamers are continually hunted down and closed. Take this year and the much-vaunted abuse of Kodi.

At the start of the football season one add-on was offering access to N.B.C. Sports Network in full HD. That has gone. Few offered links to that station which carries coverage of football's Premier League including Saturday 3p.m. matches actually now work.

More recently another has been offering access to Premier League Pass which gives full HD access to all PL games. Now that is out of use more often than it is.

There was a website called 'Wiziwig' that was used by many to find speedway coverage. That was closed. Live TV.ru is now blocked on most major UK isps

Yes you can still find streams as new ones open. You will see several links to NSport in Poland. Few work, if any.

In a small sport like speedway with the very restricted number of streamers it is far easier to make the blocking more effective. At the moment the incentive isn't really there but if speedway matches were being screened behind a pay wall the game would be a very different one.

Edited by rmc

If that is the case it is a shame that more clubs do not use that facility to promote their club and the sport.

I believe that this is only a recent concession to the 'rules' regarding the showing of meeting footage, but with a restriction on how long that footage can be displayed.

ATB

Dave

I fully grasp the nuances of exclusive broadcast agreements having had professional involvement. The mistake made by speedway was to allow the inclusion of these choking online restrictions.

Normally broadcast rights and online rights are kept separate.

I very much doubt this. Exclusive right usually is limited to a geographical area (like UK or Nordic countries) and not to a certain platform. Especially when it comes to first hand rights.

The broadcast rights for sport did used to be split down seperate for TV and online which in turn meant that you could sell the online rights to a group of companies who would each feature it online but spilt the costs between them.

It then all changed in 2013/14 when Sky launched Sky Go which enabled customers to watch Sky sports online and via a mobile. Sky were quite happy at this point to continue to operate like this but one of these groups of companies took Sky to court saying that they didn't have the online rights so when the new contracts were put in place Sky made sure that in the TV rights they had the online rights as well for most sports even now online companies can't show football matches in top leagues live online.

The problem Speedway has got is that they need the TV deal so are not in a position to try to get some online rights moved away from the tv contract it was exclusive rights that Sky agreed to.

It remains to see how BT sport will fare will GP coverage if its a success which it looks like it will be , I am sure they will be keen to get the elite league from Sky

Ipswich this year have shown clips on their Instagram account from 3 heats at Foxhall on Thursday and another 2 from Scunthorpe on sunday. So is this not allowed?

These clips have been good and something to show non speedway followers.

Ps Was also mentioned at Foxhall that someone was filming on 2nd bend as a red light was seen in the stands and this was not allowed.