British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

The League To Be In

With the announcement that the NL now has a league sponsor, not so long ago there were only 6 teams now there is 12 with big clubs like Eastbourne, Cradley, Birmingham,with theses clubs stating they have very healthy crowds is the NL the league to be in?

• Like 1

With the announcement that the NL now has a league sponsor, not so long ago there were only 6 teams now there is 12 with big clubs like Eastbourne, Cradley, Birmingham,with theses clubs stating they have very healthy crowds is the NL the league to be in?

If we want to make speedway a total amateur sport in this country then yes the National League is the place to be.

it looks like a really exciting, varied, and in most importantly, in my opinion, even league this year, should be interesting to watch it develop.

Just wish we had a NL Club at or near Swindon.

• Like 1

I've loved watching The Storm at Brandon and some of the racing is as good if not better than the Bees matches, which confirms my opinion that you don't need the so called top riders/GP riders to get good racing. I'm really looking forward to the new season as that league looks very healthy and competitive which is more than can be said for the E.L. where it's already looking like Poole will be the most dominant team again. :sad:

• Like 3

I agree with Gemini, I have watches all the different Leagues, and there are good meetings in all. The Elite league is dying, it would make no difference if more of the so called top riders rode in it, there is no variety of competition, just 14 home meetings a season, and if you are lucky a couple more play-off meetings. If you do not look like making the play-offs your meaningful season can be over by May.

All one can hope for is that someone, anyone, can stop bloody Poole winning the title again.

• Like 4

If we want to make speedway a total amateur sport in this country then yes the National League is the place to be.

I'd rather have a thriving amateur sport than a dying, desperate professional one.

• Like 4

Each to their own really. I think you get good and bad meetings at all levels but personally I've never got much of a buzz from NL speedway despite attending several meetings at Lynn over the twenty odd years its held third division speedway and quite a few at Mildenhall too. The skill level and speed is obviously lower than the two leagues above it and while I accept you may get more passing in what is essentially a training league its not really for me, but it is for many people and good luck to them. It certainly is in better shape than the EL and the lower running costs means clubs may have more security at that level.

• Like 3

When I first started going in 1976 it was still to all intents and purposes an amateur sport.............most of the riders had day jobs they did............

RP

We would settle for any sort of speedway in West Yorkshire. Its staggering that nearly 20 years have idled by without a single turn of a wheel in anger in an area that was once one of the cornerstones of the sport on this Island. But sure the NL looks set for a healthy campaign.

We would settle for any sort of speedway in West Yorkshire. Its staggering that nearly 20 years have idled by without a single turn of a wheel in anger in an area that was once one of the cornerstones of the sport on this Island. But sure the NL looks set for a healthy campaign.

Same here in East Yorkshire where it's been a 'mere' 11 years without speedway but seems much, much longer. Sigh, :neutral:....

When Eastie dropped to the NL last year I really thought about not attending after watching them for 15 years in the so called Elite league. I just feel so lucky I gave it a go, better, more unpredictable racing rather than a procession, mostly young kids who give it their all, and interact with the crowd, and looking a very even league this year. Maybe a lower overall standard of riding, but if Eastie are anything to go, as professionally run as it was in the Elite. The likes of us , Birmingham, Kings Lynn etc will raise the standard even further. Place to be :- National League.

• Like 5

How is watching a load of wobblers the place to be? Each to there own i guess

When Eastie dropped to the NL last year I really thought about not attending after watching them for 15 years in the so called Elite league. I just feel so lucky I gave it a go, better, more unpredictable racing rather than a procession, mostly young kids who give it their all, and interact with the crowd, and looking a very even league this year. Maybe a lower overall standard of riding, but if Eastie are anything to go, as professionally run as it was in the Elite. The likes of us , Birmingham, Kings Lynn etc will raise the standard even further. Place to be :- National League.

zzz ...there are more riders than there are fans ....i expect the riders know the crowd by name ....the racing is unprectictable as riders fall off all the time ....most matches don't make it it end as the curfew ends them as there is so many re runs .

How is watching a load of wobblers the place to be? Each to there own i guess

Er ... you have actually seen any NL racing? They are NOT 'wobblers'!

• Like 6