British Speedway Forum

it would be interesting to see the line ups of british teams at both EL and PL levels should GB leave Europe.

I should imagine there would be a great deal employment of protection afforded to British riders and therefore far fewer non GB riders in our leagues,especially in the PL I would suggest

That's something that has crossed my mind too.

Lot's of work permits for foreigners needed.

It's unlikely to make a difference. In the short term it will be business as usual, as Britain won't want hundreds of thousands of European workers having to leave and in turn a similar number of ex-pats being forced to return.

In the longer term Britain will more than likely sign a free trade agreement with the EU, similar to what Norway have negotiated, which will allow the four freedoms of the EU Single Market, what are free movement of goods, services, capital and people.

It's unlikely to make a difference. In the short term it will be business as usual, as Britain won't want hundreds of thousands of European workers having to leave and in turn a similar number of ex-pats being forced to return.

In the longer term Britain will more than likely sign a free trade agreement with the EU, similar to what Norway have negotiated, which will allow the four freedoms of the EU Single Market, what are free movement of goods, services, capital and people.

i was thinking more about how it might affect speedway - i think your general assertions are prob fairly accurate

as blocktread says - lots of work permits needed and i suspect they will be much harder to obtain in future

i was thinking more about how it might affect speedway - i think your general assertions are prob fairly accurate

as blocktread says - lots of work permits needed and i suspect they will be much harder to obtain in future

I suspect not. I think MattK is right very few riders will be prevented from riding over here - perhaps the next Rafal Konopka but beyond that I doubt whether there will be much difference, apart from some extra paperwork.

If we leave the EU it'll collapse, that's why they are begging us to stay. They foolishly rushed to allow lots of former iron curtain countries in and they are contributing nothing, they desperately need our money. It wont make much difference to riders, other than the need for Aussie style visas.

Of course it won't collapse.They will keep it going just to spite us and probably pump money into the German Bundesliga and entice most of the best riders into their league which they will out of spite run on the same nights as the EL,just out of spite

Or it might just be business as normal with a few adjustments being needed

If we still have the freedom of people if we come out, if we negotiate a trade agreement, there is no point in coming out, in my opinion. Surely, freedom of movement is the top issue or one of the top issues, for wanting to leave?

• Like 2

If we still have the freedom of people if we come out, if we negotiate a trade agreement, there is no point in coming out, in my opinion. Surely, freedom of movement is the top issue or one of the top issues, for wanting to leave?

True. People are basing their agreement assumptions on other countries who were never in the EU. They don't want to lose our business, no matter what.

Of course it won't collapse.They will keep it going just to spite us and probably pump money into the German Bundesliga and entice most of the best riders into their league which they will out of spite run on the same nights as the EL,just out of spite

Or it might just be business as normal with a few adjustments being needed

Well the Czechs have already indicated that they would want to leave if we did and some of the Eastern countries don't wish to take immigrants from outside, so that bubble is likely to burst as well. The states in America have more independence than we do.

• Like 1

As someone else has said 74m reasons to leave. It's called Turkey and not a Turkish rider in sight. Apart from scare mongering by the French and Germans open door policy (they need the migrants because of an ageing population plus a skill shortage) we could just as easily sell more to emerging markets such as The Far East and Africa where the young and wealthy have the money to spend. Who needs a crocked currency and a club whose members are contantly at odds. Work with those where the sun always shines and never a rained off meeting and no more Poles dictating the schedules. A winning option if ever I saw one!!!!!!!

Personally, if the vote is for OUT, then I think somehow UK will stay in. EU is not going to allow UK to leave easily, it will probably start to much unrest in other countries. Ther will be new offers.

Still important to have an OUT vote though

we might have to be part of any agreement to take asylum seekers and non EU Migrants . personally I think if we leave to avoid being inundated by immigration .we should refuse any agreement on free movement .unless they would accpet a deal for the core countiries of Europe , spain italy frnace belgium holland and germany .

I cannot see too much of a problem, as all it will mean that riders from abroad will have to apply for permission to work, but as they wont be seeking residency, shouldn't be an issue. If one or two of the weaker foreign riders struggle to get permission it will at least give some of the younger Brits a ride.

Presumably the same issues will arise that currently occur with the Aussies and used to apply with Swedes before they joined.