British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCORPIO

Assen Ice Speedway

Having just returned from Assen and seeing the curtain brought down on a run of 45 years of Ice Speedway racing in Assen, I thought this would be a good time for people to relive their memories of their visits to Assen.

I first went in the early 2000s a couple of times and only having been told about it by Mum (Cheetahhawk) and Dad I went with an open mind. As we approached the stadium.... I found excitement welling up inside at the prospect of my first Ice Racing event. I went again once or twice more and it was to be about 14 years until I went again and it turns out to be the final Assen... for now.

For my significant other.... the trouble and strife it was her first time, I think she enjoyed it apart from being cold, lol.

For the Mother in Law... it was her first visit for many a year... last went in about 1980 or 1981 and could not believe how much it had changed in the intervening years, the roof, the walls as was totally open when she last went.

So peoples of Speedway Forum Land...... the floor is open.... let's relive the memories and say farewell to Assen for now.

1985, went with Leicester Lions Supporters Club, brilliant, Sergai Kasakov, Per Olef Seranius, great weekend, great people, played cards in hotel with about 5 different currencies on the table!!!!!!

True speedway spirit, fantastic time!!!!!!!!!!!

saw cribby there back in the day, must have been about 78 and 79 I suppose,think I went twice although memorys playing up a bit!!

I have tried Google, but can't see anything on there.....Is Assen not going to hold any more ice speedway or is it just the big events?

Think it's the ice plant needs updating and the owners can't afford it, but a new rink being built nearby

Not sure how cold Assen gets, but I can imagine they have to have an artificial ice track, but maybe many countries do, especially with so called global warming?

The ice making machine thing is indeed very old and needs to be renewed. This is very expensive and therefore the whole stadium will be demolished. There will be some sort of a congress building build on the 'Bonte Wever' site.

At the moment it's unsure were a new ice stadium will be build. Three plans are in the race for the money from the province (Drenthe): in Assen (near the TT track), in Hoogeveen and in Emmen. Assen seems to have the best cards, and when it all goes ahead then there will be icespeedway in Assen again in 2019.

Not sure how cold Assen gets, but I can imagine they have to have an artificial ice track, but maybe many countries do, especially with so called global warming?

Artificial indeed. There is no chance of a natural icespeedway track in The Netherlands these days.

The ice making machine thing is indeed very old and needs to be renewed. This is very expensive and therefore the whole stadium will be demolished. There will be some sort of a congress building build on the 'Bonte Wever' site.

At the moment it's unsure were a new ice stadium will be build. Three plans are in the race for the money from the province (Drenthe): in Assen (near the TT track), in Hoogeveen and in Emmen. Assen seems to have the best cards, and when it all goes ahead then there will be icespeedway in Assen again in 2019.

Artificial indeed. There is no chance of a natural icespeedway track in The Netherlands these days.

Thank you.