British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

Tai Woffinden chose to align himself to Britain for one reason, and one reason only. He wanted to ride at international level, if he had chosen to take the Austrailan Citizenship route, he would not have got that opportunity, he would have been way down the pecking order to get into the Aussie team, and would have had an equally poor chance of getting into to GP's as an Aussie, there were just to many good Aussie riders at that time.... He chose Britain, purely because we were woeful at the time, and had a far far better set of opportunities with The UK.. He's not the only sportsman that has chosen a flag for convenience, he won't be the last. He just doesn't do a very good job of disguising his loyalties when it comes to where he really wants to be.. I don't buy the burn-out story, that's just a load of old twaddle.. Why didn't he just say he didn't want to race in the British Final, because it would hamper his application for Australian Citizenship.. At least we would of known.. And before you harp on about the SWC, if his application for Aussie Citizenship wascgoing well, he may well have pulled out of that as well and have been picked to represent Australia!!

Absolute nonsense. Even if he was eligible for Aussie citizenship, riding Speedway for GB would have no effect on it.

So, anyway, what you are saying is that he doesn't have Aussie citizenship. So how can he have ridden for Australia then if he wasn't a citizen?

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

Absolute nonsense. Even if he was eligible for Aussie citizenship, riding Speedway for GB would have no effect on it.

So, anyway, what you are saying is that he doesn't have Aussie citizenship. So how can he have ridden for Australia then if he wasn't a citizen?

"If" Tai has used the system to further his career then fair enough but don'y expect everyone to be happy about it !!!

What a bunch of pig ignorant head in the sand people there are on this forum. Tai is British, he was born here his parents are British. They chose to emigrate and obviously at that age Tai had to go with them hardly his fault where he grew up. You fools on here somehow expect him to have no affinity with Australia!! Of course he will love the place he made many friends there. He chose to ride for the UK his parents are British and he considers himself British like his parents are. If you don't like Tai as a person that's fine we don't like everyone, I was never a big Tatum fan, but to simply keep going on and on about he usnt even British is just being a lemming and joining up with the idiots. Once again I ask people have you seen the dates of the semis and final??????? Understandably he doesn't want to be injured. He is a Brit through and through who also loves the country he grew up in what is wrong with that!!!!! As we all say Mark Loram was born in Malta. Didn't see to many people moaning that he rode for Team GB!!! By the pathetic responses on here Mark should have ride for his country of birth then shouldn't he!!!! Those who also say Tai chose GB because he couldn't get in the Aussie team are also talking tosh. Tai as a character backs himself to be the best at anything so he would have fought tooth and nail anyway. Some sad people on here that I would suggest should stay away from Cardiff

• Like 5

I have nothing personal against Tai but his actions here have completely devalued the British Championship. In a time where British Speedway is having a hard time we now have a "British" World champion giving his home championship a snub because he can't be arsed. How can he say he doesn't want to burn himself out when he does half the meeting he used to?

I also think this show's that Tai has little regard for his British fans. Of cause he is going to ride in the World Cup final. Its only one meeting and besides that its sponsored by his big backers Monster so its more than his sponsorship is worth to give that event the cold shoulder.

Sorry Tai I have always supported you but your snub of your British fans is unsavory. It's one bloody meeting and a lot of fans would have turned up just to see you as your appearances here now are far and few between over here. I know at the end of the day its business and you have to look after number 1 but don't forget the people who have always supported you.

British World Champion? - Then behave like one.

Just thought I'd re-post this as a lot of people are now saying that those speaking out against Mr Woffinden are pig headed and ignorant.

I have not made any comment that Tai in anti-British and I have note said he cares more about Australia.

Tai is not forced to ride in the British Final but I do think he is being very selfish and is having very little regard for his British Fan base. With regards to the SWC the only reason Rosco and Chapman are still sucking up to him is due to sponsorship. The SWC is sponsored by Monster Energy. They are Tai's big backers. Monster pull the strings so the BSPA would not dare upset them by not using their golden boy in Team GB.

Just a thought as well. If Mr Woffinden is scared of being burned out he should take a leaf out of Greg Hancock's book. Greg is 46, a 3 time world champ, rides in probably more meetings and also flies back to the States during the season to compete in his home championship combined with having a family!

If lessons are to be learned maybe the BSPA should consider seeding their British GP riders directly through to the Final. I know Tai reads these posts and he has to realise he has let a lot of his supporters down who would have turned up to see him. Maybe it's not too late to change your mind.

• Like 2

Tai Woffinden chose to align himself to Britain for one reason, and one reason only. He wanted to ride at international level, if he had chosen to take the Austrailan Citizenship route, he would not have got that opportunity, he would have been way down the pecking order to get into the Aussie team, and would have had an equally poor chance of getting into to GP's as an Aussie, there were just to many good Aussie riders at that time.... He chose Britain, purely because we were woeful at the time, and had a far far better set of opportunities with The UK.. He's not the only sportsman that has chosen a flag for convenience, he won't be the last. He just doesn't do a very good job of disguising his loyalties when it comes to where he really wants to be.. I don't buy the burn-out story, that's just a load of old twaddle.. Why didn't he just say he didn't want to race in the British Final, because it would hamper his application for Australian Citizenship.. At least we would of known.. And before you harp on about the SWC, if his application for Aussie Citizenship wascgoing well, he may well have pulled out of that as well and have been picked to represent Australia!!

Oh dear.

• Like 2

i personally think woffy imo loves riding for GB. i think he adores Australia, which is fine, i love new york, but on

this part of the discussion, i have no gripes with his nationality......just gutted bout todays decision!

Agree with this, anyone who thinks Tai isnt British need to give their head a wobble. With him being GB captain I just don't think its the right thing for the figurehead and Captain of GB Speedway to miss out on national championships or not even ride here at all. I dont buy the excuse of burning out, a lot of fans will be disappointed in this especially if he rides in Poland the same day as a semi final. We shall see on that one. Edited by woz01
  • Like 2

What a bunch of pig ignorant head in the sand people there are on this forum. Tai is British, he was born here his parents are British. They chose to emigrate and obviously at that age Tai had to go with them hardly his fault where he grew up. You fools on here somehow expect him to have no affinity with Australia!! Of course he will love the place he made many friends there. He chose to ride for the UK his parents are British and he considers himself British like his parents are. If you don't like Tai as a person that's fine we don't like everyone, I was never a big Tatum fan, but to simply keep going on and on about he usnt even British is just being a lemming and joining up with the idiots. Once again I ask people have you seen the dates of the semis and final??????? Understandably he doesn't want to be injured. He is a Brit through and through who also loves the country he grew up in what is wrong with that!!!!! As we all say Mark Loram was born in Malta. Didn't see to many people moaning that he rode for Team GB!!! By the pathetic responses on here Mark should have ride for his country of birth then shouldn't he!!!! Those who also say Tai chose GB because he couldn't get in the Aussie team are also talking tosh. Tai as a character backs himself to be the best at anything so he would have fought tooth and nail anyway. Some sad people on here that I would suggest should stay away from Cardiff

Exactly what I've been saying!

At the end of the day Tai is his own man who makes his own decisions just like we all do. He has decided to focus on the World Championship in 2016 and not risk injury/fatigue in the British Final bearing in mind there's a GP sandwiched in there. His goal is to be a multi World Champion so his decision makes sense to me. It's his choice so bleating on about it is pointless and rather silly...but I'm sure it won't stop all the usual keyboard warriors who have nothing better to do carrying on with their pathetic persecution.

Tai is British through and through but loves the country he grew up in. What's wrong with that? Sweet FA!!

Edited by chris4gillian
  • Like 3

So What if Tai wants to give a worthless meeting a miss. You only have to see how many fans bother to turn up for it to understand where it comes in the swing of things.

Tai is doing what Most Businessmen would do. he is offering his time where he will get the greater rewards. If The BSPA want the Star Attraction there then they should offer The Star Attraction, Star Attraction Money.

• Like 2

It is Woffy's choice. I wonder if the situation would be different if he was seeded straight to the Final ??? If he feels it would be more beneficial to him not to ride the British Final then so be it. The British Final is a grand title in prestige and history but little more. It is not as if the British Final comes with huge sponsorship and financial gain. Not riding in the UK it is logistically expensive.

As for the SWC ; Rosco and Chapman have no option but to adhere to his requests as Woffinden is the only British World Class rider - without him there is no chance of Gold. With him comes every likelyhood of a full-house at Belle Vue.

• Like 1

Once the British Semi-Finals were scheduled for May 13th and 15th respectively - with the Warsaw GP on the 14th this was always going to be a problem, for Harris as well as Woffinden. Obviously, neither would want to ride the day before the GP. Solution would have been to seed them through to the final. Wonder if this was considered/requested.

Have I missed the BSI announcement that they are withdrawing their invitation to the British Final winner to be the wildcard at Cardiff yet?? again?!! ;-)

Or are we still waiting...........................................................................

Just thought I'd re-post this as a lot of people are now saying that those speaking out against Mr Woffinden are pig headed and ignorant.

I have not made any comment that Tai in anti-British and I have note said he cares more about Australia.

Tai is not forced to ride in the British Final but I do think he is being very selfish and is having very little regard for his British Fan base. With regards to the SWC the only reason Rosco and Chapman are still sucking up to him is due to sponsorship. The SWC is sponsored by Monster Energy. They are Tai's big backers. Monster pull the strings so the BSPA would not dare upset them by not using their golden boy in Team GB.

Just a thought as well. If Mr Woffinden is scared of being burned out he should take a leaf out of Greg Hancock's book. Greg is 46, a 3 time world champ, rides in probably more meetings and also flies back to the States during the season to compete in his home championship combined with having a family!

If lessons are to be learned maybe the BSPA should consider seeding their British GP riders directly through to the Final. I know Tai reads these posts and he has to realise he has let a lot of his supporters down who would have turned up to see him. Maybe it's not too late to change your mind.

Tai's British fanbase , consists of a few abusive idiots who post on the bsf since his announcement , the best thing would be to put him on ignore along with all the halfwits who cannot debate their argument without the need for abuse of anyone who doesn't agree with them

• Like 1

Once the British Semi-Finals were scheduled for May 13th and 15th respectively - with the Warsaw GP on the 14th this was always going to be a problem, for Harris as well as Woffinden. Obviously, neither would want to ride the day before the GP. Solution would have been to seed them through to the final. Wonder if this was considered/requested.

Harris is a different kettle of fish. Tai will (hopefully) and expects to be challenging for the World title by then...unfortunately the same scenario can't be said for Harris, even though I'd personally love him to be up there too but being a realist that's very unlikely. Barring injuries Harris must now be the favourite for the British title with Scotty and Cookie not far behind him.

So What if Tai wants to give a worthless meeting a miss. You only have to see how many fans bother to turn up for it to understand where it comes in the swing of things.

Tai is doing what Most Businessmen would do. he is offering his time where he will get the greater rewards. If The BSPA want the Star Attraction there then they should offer The Star Attraction, Star Attraction Money.

Why would it matter ...he told us it was about burn out and nothing to do with money .

• Like 1

Tai said he is giving it a miss this year, he never said he is never going to do the final again, he wants to become a 3rd time world champion ..for me its the timing of the semis.....he cant do the semis as its gp week so maybe feels he shouldtn be seeded into the final, which i believe is also a gp week,If he was seeded straight through then all you Tai haters would feed on the fact of "why?. he didnt do the semis.. give it to some one who rode in them"

To me Tai cant win whatever he does...

• Like 1