British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

Of course Tal chose to be British rather than Aussie because it was easier to get into the GB team....

Everyone know his natural talent would never have got him in the Aussie team as they are so good and even now after two world titles he would stuggle to get a place I am sure....

He also knew that staying in Oz at 15/16 years of age would have stagnated his growth similar to the way their youth system held back for example Adams, Crump, Holder and Ward who must all deeply regret remaining in Oz through their formative years as they only had World Titles, SWC victories and GP wins to show for riding for Aussie..

Lucky for him he came to Britain and the BSPA were able to take him under their wing and nurture him through their extensive, in depth youth training programme..

I am sure Tai thanks the lucky stars everyday that he got all that help and support from the BSPA yet he won't contest the National Championship....!

I don't know, some people eh?..

Don't know their born, wouldn't have happened in my day, etc etc etc

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

Have a look at the last Gp and what he choose to sing ...there you go ..no luck needed

So as I said do you think Chris Froome is a Kenyan ? I never said Woffy was not British I said he has choose to do so at Sport because it suited him but at heart he is a Aussie

No Chris Froome isn't a Kenyan because he was born to British parents, just as Tai Woffinden was.

Your ignorance of the matter really is childlike.

Woffinden didn't and doesn't qualify to race for Australia. There was no choice involved.

As for showing some allegiance to Australia, that is 100% natural as he spent the majority of his childhood there and considers it 'home'.

• Like 4

Once the British Semi-Finals were scheduled for May 13th and 15th respectively - with the Warsaw GP on the 14th this was always going to be a problem, for Harris as well as Woffinden. Obviously, neither would want to ride the day before the GP. Solution would have been to seed them through to the final. Wonder if this was considered/requested.

Harris has often rode for Coventry the night before a GP, he has even got to a meeting on a Sunday lunchtime after a GP. Tai could easily do the semi final on the Sunday afternoon he just doesn't want to make the effort to do it. After Warsaw GP the next one is 4 weeks later, how can a rider be burned out with this schedule?

POL Saturday, GB Sunday, then Sweden and Poland on Tuesday and Sunday for the next 4 weeks, it a very sparse schedule.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Slight difference with Froome in that the cyclist competed for the Kenyan team (albeit whilst being a British passport holder) for a good few years before coming over to Europe to further his career.

National boundaries in sport are becoming increasingly muddied (look at the England cricket and rugby union teams) and with regards to GP Speedway I don't see why riders have to ride under a flag - it's an individual competition.

Harris has often rode for Coventry the night before a GP, he has even got to a meeting on a Sunday lunchtime after a GP. Tai could easily do the semi final on the Sunday afternoon he just doesn't want to make the effort to do it.

Don't forget the Poland v Rest of the World meeting at Warsaw is scheduled for the Sunday...

I highly doubt anyone on here even “knows” Woffinden let alone being able to seemingly know his underhand motives.

The persona (some) have created since his statement is completely bizarre, those against think he has manipulated the entire system and those for him think he now sees British Speedway as a joke, the British Final is crap and everyone is all a shower of little Englanders with their heads in the sand who don’t see the bigger picture (doesn’t do Woffinden any favours by the way even if you are trying to support him)

RE: Woffinden I hope he wins 7/8 or even 9 World Titles, more power to him. He could even win 10. I only wish that for him because I “hate” him though.

In real terms though it won’t matter to me (or his “lovers”) as much as it does to Woffinden and in 10/20 years’ time or so when he has chucked it, it is likely British Speedway (which is what does matter to me) will have seen little from it if his non-attendance in the leagues continues, his decision to skip the Final has probably only magnified that

This is a British Speedway Forum, generally populated by people who support British Speedway, it seems pretty natural people would be irked when they see what they perceive to be an action that damages it taking place, and while it can be argued that the sport has changed etc, most people won’t care for that point as the safety of the sport here matters to them more than the changing land scape of the sport.

Yes there are other factors at play in terms of the slow demise in this country, but Woffinden racing here a bit more often would help rather than him not being here and contributing to one of the 1,000 cuts killing the sport, saying that does not mean you "hate" him

Edited by sparkafag

Slight difference with Froome in that the cyclist competed for the Kenyan team (albeit whilst being a British passport holder) for a good few years before coming over to Europe to further his career.

National boundaries in sport are becoming increasingly muddied (look at the England cricket and rugby union teams) and with regards to GP Speedway I don't see why riders have to ride under a flag - it's an individual competition.

Don't forget the Poland v Rest of the World meeting at Warsaw is scheduled for the Sunday...

If he rides that meeting then fans will have a right to be annoyed.

Bit different, he and his kit are already there!

• Like 2

Of course Tal chose to be British rather than Aussie because it was easier to get into the GB team....

Everyone know his natural talent would never have got him in the Aussie team as they are so good and even now after two world titles he would stuggle to get a place I am sure....

He also knew that staying in Oz at 15/16 years of age would have stagnated his growth similar to the way their youth system held back for example Adams, Crump, Holder and Ward who must all deeply regret remaining in Oz through their formative years as they only had World Titles, SWC victories and GP wins to show for riding for Aussie..

Lucky for him he came to Britain and the BSPA were able to take him under their wing and nurture him through their extensive, in depth youth training programme..

I am sure Tai thanks the lucky stars everyday that he got all that help and support from the BSPA yet he won't contest the National Championship....!

I don't know, some people eh?..

Don't know their born, wouldn't have happened in my day, etc etc etc

How wrong you are has already been explained a few times in previous posts...but don't let that stop you from saying it all over again :lol:

• Like 1

How wrong you are has already been explained a few times in previous posts...but don't let that stop you from saying it all over again :lol:

I think he was being sarcastic. Hope so anyway!!

• Like 3

I wonder what all the other British riders think about Tai's decision? May hear from a couple on the EDP speedway podcast 😊

It ought to be an honour to race in your country's national championship, not be taken for granted but there ya go .....

• Like 3

Exactly what I've been saying!

At the end of the day Tai is his own man who makes his own decisions just like we all do. He has decided to focus on the World Championship in 2016 and not risk injury/fatigue in the British Final bearing in mind there's a GP sandwiched in there. His goal is to be a multi World Champion so his decision makes sense to me. It's his choice so bleating on about it is pointless and rather silly...but I'm sure it won't stop all the usual keyboard warriors who have nothing better to do carrying on with their pathetic persecution.

Tai is British through and through but loves the country he grew up in. What's wrong with that? Sweet FA!!

How right I was! :t:

I'd like to say respect to both Gavan and BWitcher who like myself (and a few others) have taken a step back and sensibly thought about things before posting. I suggest a few others should do the same...however pigs flying has more of a chance!

I wonder what all the other British riders think about Tai's decision? May hear from a couple on the EDP speedway podcast

It ought to be an honour to race in your country's national championship, not be taken for granted but there ya go .....

I doubt they care tbh.

A few may feel they have more of a chance of winning now, but other than that...probably not a lot.

• Like 1

Some folk are so selfish.

There are 50,000 fans who bought tickets for the Warsaw GP last year... they are being compensated with an extra meeting on Sunday afternoon yet a few fans over here expect the World Champion to ignore those 50,000 fans and race over here in front of a few thousand.

The reality is, the first semi-final is scheduled the night before the GP. There is no chance he was ever going to race in that... one poster quite brilliantly (in a bad way) mentioned that Chris Harris has often ridden on a Friday night before a GP. Brilliant! That's the way to go quite clearly with his level of success in such meetings.... :t:

As for the Sunday, Woffinden will be contracted to race in the meeting at Warsaw... where he is already present as are his bikes.

I wonder what all the other British riders think about Tai's decision? May hear from a couple on the EDP speedway podcast

The national championship is an individual meeting.

It should be an honour to race for your COUNTRY which Tai does whereas Scott Nicholls for example, for quite some time has not.

And if he doesn't, about 20 x as many fans will have a far bigger right to be annoyed.

• Like 2

Peter Collins skipped the 77 British final. Riders like mauger, Olsen, Jan Anderson, per jonsson, Bruce pen hall happily skipped their national champs back in the day. Just saying. ..

Edited by waihekeaces1
  • Like 4

I don't recall Jan Andersson skipping the Swedish Championships - certainly not whilst when he was riding at his peak.

Riders like mauger, Olsen, Jan Anderson, per jonsson, Bruce pen hall happily skipped their national champs back in the day. Just saying. ..

I think you're mistaking the Danish, Swedish and US Finals of the World Championship, with the Danish, Swedish and US Championships. Separate events.

All the best

Rob