British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LunnasPerm

Boring

It's with a heavy, heavy heart that I declare that speedway is a boring sport.

As I documented elsewhere, I'm a Glasgow Tigers' fan who, due to work commitments, hadn't been to the speedway for five years. Before then, speedway was my drug.

I was at Ashfield last Sunday for the Glasgow and Edinburgh derby, though, and who would have thought it, ended up in the north east of England tonight which meant that, as a neutral fan, I was able to attend tonight's Berwick and Edinburgh match.

What have I learned, since then? Watch speedway in silence and it's boring.

I'm not long home and I've stuck on Leicester versus Swindon's live fixture on Sky from during the week; it's even worse than the live matches I've attended. I've got Pearson and Tattum exaggerating the excitement.

I'm disappointed, more than anything. I don't know if it's the tracks or if it's the fact that sides can freely scuffle their starting seven, they can employ riders who aren't ready to compete, etc., but I'm sad.

I'm not looking for answers, I'm simply throwing in my opinion, having left and returned.

EDIT I feel the need to reitareate how bad this fixture is between Leicester and Swindon. He who gates, wins. No wonder Sky are cancelling meetings. It's boring, plain and simple. Tattum can talk as much rubbishe as he likes, but it doesn't compensate for a significant lack of entertainment.

Edited by LunnasPerm
  • Like 1

The irony is that this post of yours is the absolute definition of boring..... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Rather than just write off the post it may be worth considering that perhaps there may be some credence with the observation and perhaps one of the reasons why the sport is now so desperate for new fans?

I think it's boring because it's too predictable and lacks credibility, plus it's generally run by enthusiastic amateurs who are further restricted by lack of finance. Sky is a huge embarrassment where you see the same riders week after week (irrespective of which teams are taking part) and the crowds are pathetic. The new National Stadium was a great boost and a beacon of hope, but even the saga of that has become boring, as has the sight of two of the least sharp knives in the drawer, trying to maintain interest. The visa problem is adding to the boredom, as are rain-offs and 'too high' admission prices ... ... ... Tiddleywinks anyone?

I completely understand where you are coming from LP...having returned recently after a very long lay off, and like you, I used to live for Speedway.

I totally understand you coming on here and venting your frustration too...I get it. You love the sport deep down...it just frustrates you so much, that you felt the need to say something...somewhere?

There are so many contributing factors as to what makes Speedway less entertaining.

I've come to the conclusion that it will only get worse...but I will try to enjoy what little bit of Speedway magic still exists, at the few meetings I will attend this season.

Having read threads and comments on this forum as well, it also gives you a good insight to how fans and others think about the sport...it's totally mixed...from people who see the demise to others that are happy clappers with their head in the sand...

I feel your sadness.

• Like 3

The strange thing is I to find Speedway boring but just keep going in hope.

I believe there's a age group that struggle to tolerate the sport

0-20 can't get enough of it

21-30 it's not cool enough

31-50 It's an irritation

51-dead find the love again

Last nights rye v peterborough meeting was pretty decent, but I have to agree that the Leicester v swindon sky match was an absolute shocker.

Re the TV meeting, my worry is that Swindon are working their averages so the meeting wasn't a 'proper' competition? With the advent of the playoffs we've seen this loads.

I haven't seen the meeting at all I hasten to add!

The strange thing is I to find Speedway boring but just keep going in hope.

I believe there's a age group that struggle to tolerate the sport

0-20 can't get enough of it

21-30 it's not cool enough

31-50 It's an irritation

51-dead find the love again

I think its closer to 0-10 dragged by parents

10-30 not cool enough etc

I have to say that I do agree with a lot of what you say but the racing can only be as good as the riders and the track and IMO they are effected by the lack of money in the sport today .You will never get away from gate and go races ( they have always been there) and will remain forever ,how many times do we say he will never be any good till he learns to gate .

Think you need to give the sport a little longer and you will find there are some hidden gems which surface and make it all worthwhile ,also IMO if you want to see the best elements of the sport today ( I say this through gritted teeth) then trip to Cardiff would be your best plan of action .

Edited by FAST GATER

You need that passion for your team too, then you feel the effort that is being put in, also stand on the straight as close to the racing as possible, takes my breath away every time, the speed, the vulnerability, wooooooo

• Like 1

Re the TV meeting, my worry is that Swindon are working their averages so the meeting wasn't a 'proper' competition? With the advent of the playoffs we've seen this loads.

I haven't seen the meeting at all I hasten to add!

Best not to make such a comment then, if you haven't seen it. For much of the match there seemed no way past at Leicester, and if Swindon riders tried to they either ended up nearly falling off or actually falling off.

Not the actions of a side trying to lower averages.

It was a boring match. The only thing that kept me watching was that it was Swindon.

One thing speedway needs to do is ramp up the team element so it doesn't just look like blokes riding round a track.

If you think speedway is boring try watching from the centre-green if you can...if everyone could watch from the green loads more would turn-up, its fitting 'em all that's the problem...faster, noisier, more dangerous.

• Like 2

There are some excellent points, here.

Like I said, these past two weeks, I've longed to get right back into the speedway. I'm a wee bit gutted, in all honesty.

I paid £17 at Ashfield, £3 for a programme and last night, I got a bit of change back from £20. A ticket for today's Old Firm game is £1 more than I paid at Ashfield. That's incredible. I don't grudge it and no-one is forcing me to pay it, but the product isn't worth it, if you assess it from a value perspective.

The irony is that this post of yours is the absolute definition of boring..... zzzzzzzzzzzz

A fantastic input, I must say. Amidst a conversation-igniting topic, supporting valid points and genuine concern, you've managed to look like you've taken offence. Well done, don't you look good.

I now feel the need to stress that I am not looking for an argument, I'm simply raising a topic that I feel is a valid subject.

• Like 5