British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LunnasPerm

Boring

I suppose it depends what you class as a good race.

Here is a meeting widely regarded as one of the best ever world finals up to then. I was there and the atmosphere was unbelievable but how many 'good races' were there?

There are hundreds of youtube clips from the good old days and if this is a benchmark of speedway from then (which I really enjoyed, but I still do really enjoy speedway, I wouldn't bother otherwise) then clearly it was no better then than it is now.

Yes, this is a very good example of the the rose tinted glasses effect.

I think there were only 3 good races and yet, as you indicate, this meeting seems to be perceived as an all time classic.

• Like 1

A few years ago D Norris went from the pit to the startline with 1 finger in the air to the crowd at Kings Lynn. The crowd hated him but he created an atmosphere. Shane Parker once walked the track and shook fans hands after the meeting at Lynn. He also stole the tractor at Ipswich to grade his start position. Speedway needs people like them so fans have something to remember from there night out even if the racing is poor it gives them something to talk about. No controversy means a quite crowd. A quite crowd means no atmosphere. The riders could do more to get fans involved but it seems riders are only interested in their pay cheque.

Shane Parker was a great character, remember at a Fours meeting at Worky, a streaker ran onto the centre-green and Parks covered him with red marshal's flag. Then there were the near-naked spins at testimonials, and Leigh Adams Farewell at Swindon. Still watches speedway back home in Adelaide, my bruv spoke to him a couple of years back.

• Like 1

whilst i agree with above post, its gimmicks, the actual sport itself needs those things, as the racing on offer no longer appears

to be enough

Norris and Parker would be heavily fined and quite possibly thrown out of the meetings these days. Nothing to do with riders only being interested in the pay check and everything to do with the rules.

• Like 2

The man-on-the-mike is now a very, very important person to the meeting, he must be totally tuned into the meeting and the fans, he must be intuitive, bias, interesting and enthusiastic ..... have all of our clubs got these people?

Edited by Trees
  • Like 2

Having a good man on the mic won't bring the crowds flooding back. The racing needs to be better and closer. I watched 2 heats of Young Stars v Stoke last week it was terrible. The leader was the length of the straight ahead of last place.

Having a good man on the mic won't bring the crowds flooding back. The racing needs to be better and closer. I watched 2 heats of Young Stars v Stoke last week it was terrible. The leader was the length of the straight ahead of last place.

No, not alone, but they would help to involve the crowd imo ....
  • Like 1

The man-on-the-mike is now a very, very important person to the meeting, he must be totally tuned into the meeting and the fans, he must be intuitive, bias, interesting and enthusiastic ..... have all of our clubs got these people?

People are not going to pay £18 quid every week just to watch a bloke trying to be funny on the centre green. We have that very man at Wolves but crowds are the lowest I've ever known.The people I know who stopped going did so for the very reason of this topic : that they were bored and the racing was not as good as it used to be.This is from the BSPA track of the year

• Like 1

People are not going to pay £18 quid every week just to watch a bloke trying to be funny on the centre green. We have that very man at Wolves but crowds are the lowest I've ever known.The people I know who stopped going did so for the very reason of this topic : that they were bored and the racing was not as good as it used to be.This is from the BSPA track of the year

Don't think I said it would, I just think it's really important to the whole package ....

A few years ago D Norris went from the pit to the startline with 1 finger in the air to the crowd at Kings Lynn. The crowd hated him but he created an atmosphere. Shane Parker once walked the track and shook fans hands after the meeting at Lynn. He also stole the tractor at Ipswich to grade his start position. Speedway needs people like them so fans have something to remember from there night out even if the racing is poor it gives them something to talk about. No controversy means a quite crowd. A quite crowd means no atmosphere. The riders could do more to get fans involved but it seems riders are only interested in their pay cheque.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with you, those days are gone.

Norris and Parker would have received life bans if they had tried their party pieces nowadays, but as you say people always remember them even if they have forgotten the races that happened the same night. Lynn fans looked forward with relish to the visits of Eastbourne.

UK clubs meant a lot to riders then, nowadays they are just one of several.

Just an observation, but several riders tweet every week about how they are looking forward to racing for their clubs in Poland. Those same riders rarely, if ever, tweet about looking forward to racing for their UK club. I wonder why :wink:

• Like 2

dont thinkyou will witness a more boring meetin g than the 91 world final in gothenberg!

How about the 89 final in Munich? The worst final ever in my opinion, and also the worst line-up.

At least Rickardsson livened up 91 a little!

BWitcher, on 17 Apr 2016 - 2:30 PM, said:snapback.png

An incorrect observation.

The difference between top riders and bottom end riders is less now than it was in the 'glory years'.

Why is it an incorrect observation? Do you have any statistics to prove your opinion that the difference is less now? For example, how many Reserves beat Heat Leaders in, say, 1976, compared to 2016?

Until you can prove an opinion with stats, it remains an opinion and not a fact, as you well know.

Do you really believe that if you shout louder than the other person, you are right and they will give in and agree with you? Stoke Potter has as much right to his opinion as you do.

Yes I'd also like to to know what factual evidence supports that claim?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

I was at Munich in 1989. It was one of the worst meetings I've ever been to.. mainly due to the track - but you're right, Troy Butler qualified from the IC final..the final ine-up was indeed very average... coach journey back was awful too as we left after visiting a beer cellar and several people were ill all the way back to the ferry.. Yuk...every time the coach rdriver braked...well I won't go into details..

• Like 2

Briggo's Golden Greats meeting the previous evening in Landshut was a hell of a lot better. At least that made the weekend worthwhile.