British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Could Woffy Be Making An El Return?

OK, we get it, Robert72, you don't like Tai Woffinden. Doesn't mean you have to keep saying it over and over again. And, would you really want Tai to be excluded from Team GB in the SWC? Really? Cut off nose to spite face? Lessen your country's chances of competing and possibly getting on the rostrum, or better? Deprive the people who do want to watch the best team that GB can put out and want to watch the two time British World Champion ride in this country, the opportunity of doing so? The one true world class rider Britain has. A British sportsman who excels in his field. And for what purpose? To teach him a lesson, or to satisfy you? A very poor and sad point of view in my opinion.

(I won't point out the miss-spelling you made in your last sentence, but it did make me chuckle. Thank you. I just wonder how much they will get for it.)

I love Chris Harris to bits, and his Team Harris initiative is great, but he is taking young riders and young mechanics to SGP's with him? British and Polish league meetings, I would understand, but SGP's, really?

He is certainly taking one rider (Roberts) to some just to gain experience and feel what a GP day is like. I dont think there will be several per GP, perhaps one or two at a time from what I've read.

• Like 1

I would like to make one thing clear, which didn't come over on my previous posts, as I am quite angry on this subject.

I do believe Woffinden is a great rider and worthy World Champion. His work for charity is exemplorary and he deserves praise for his work in this field. No other rider off the top of my head has done so much for such worthy causes.

But it does frustrate me that we have a British World Champion who has shunned his own country's league to entertain fans in other countrys rather than his own. He might feel its a pain to ride in the EL but as a Brit and as a World Champion is is an ambassador to the sport and should have helped re-ignite the sport by riding here. Instead he has chosen to be invisible to the British speedway public and his time as World Champion is a waste for the sport in the UK when it could have been used well.

Not only has he alienated UK fans with his blatant disregard to the EL, but he has also probably missed out on quite a but of sponsorship.

Furthermore, a world champion normally has a huge following from his own country behind him, but his actions have split his support in the UK, as this thread clearly shows.

A shame IMO and one he will probably look back at at after his career is over with regret.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 5

I would like to make one thing clear, which didn't come over on my previous posts, as I am quite angry on this subject.

SS is angry :mad: ? Never of guessed would we :lol: ?

But it does frustrate me that we have a British World Champion who has shunned his own country's league to entertain fans in other countrys rather than his own. He might feel its a pain to ride in the EL but as a Brit and as a World Champion is is an ambassador to the sport and should have helped re-ignite the sport by riding here. Instead he has chosen to be invisible to the British speedway public and his time as World Champion is a waste for the sport in the UK when it could have been used well.

An angry and frustrated SS? Not good, As I said in my earlier post, I simply despair sometimes. Not sure TW108 has 'shunned' his own country's league to entertain fans necessarily, more to earn better money and to offer him a better opportunity to excel in the SGP series. Hold on a minute - you called him a 'Plastic Brit' before, whereas now you say: 'shunned his own country's league' - an admission therefore that he is indeed 100% British. Well done SS, I knew you could do it. Welcome to the 'Tai is British' side of the forum. No more comments of 'Plastic Brit' from you then now. :t:

Not only has he alienated UK fans with his blatant disregard to the EL, but he has also probably missed out on quite a but of sponsorship.

Alienated some UK fans maybe, but nowhere near all, or even the majority - unless you have facts to disprove this. Whilst all professional sports people could always use extra sponsorship, looking at his web-site, Tai seems to be doing ok for sponsorship. But then, maybe 'a but of sponsorship' is more than a lot?

Furthermore, a world champion normally has a huge following from his own country behind him, but his actions have split his support in the UK, as this thread clearly shows.

A shame IMO and one he will probably look back at at after his career is over with regret.

Split? What as in 'split in half', as I don't think that has been anywhere near proven and I would be surprised if this split manifests itself to any great degree at Cardiff, at the SWC, or at the re-staging of the Peter Craven Meeting if he is invited back to that, if he accepts and if the NSS can fit it in to the diminishing weeks of the season. You may hear Star Lady emitting a 'boo' or giving him 'the silent treatment' :lol: and speedibee may become an uncowardly lion for few minutes and be brave enough to flick Tai the finger from the top tier of the Principality Stadium, but the majority of true British speedway fans would be proud to have one of their own as the World Champion and will show their support for a rider who could become ranked the greatest ever Brit this season, I would've thought.

Will he regret not riding more in the UK when he has, hopefully, safely retired? Maybe, but he might just be too busy counting his money, soaking up the sunshine, flipping out on an MX, skydiving, taking out his boat, water skiing, walking round his mansion and enjoying the family lifestyle that his skills will have provided by then back in his own country ... whoops, I mean, when he finally settles down in Western Australia :lol: . Or maybe he will just chuck it all in and test his talents in another motor sport discipline and 'shun' the whole sport. Whatever he does, I wish him well.

• Like 4

I doubt Danish riders get slagged off by Danish fans as much as the British World Champion (born in Scunthorpe to British parents) does by a certain section of, so called, British speedway fans.

If Tai had ridden for the Pirates, Poole fans would be tripping over themselves defending him. These comments just convey a typical Poole bias I'm afraid.

Ask yourself this, if your club signed Tai Woffinden, would you stop going, or would you go and not support him, even boo him?

I don't go to many meetings anyway to the moment so wouldn't affect that. I wouldn't boo him far too much effort!!

I have never liked him so it is not Poole bias, sorry to disappoint. Don't believe much that comes out of his mouth, but I'll let his sheep hang on to his every word. :)

• Like 1

a very good post by Steve Shovlar, I can see why Tai chose to ride in the likes of Poland, Sweden etc as opposed to Britain, the main reasoning being money, the one thing I don't understand is that previously he has said he was "tired" during a season, like most things in life you cant have the best of both worlds.

By all accounts Pete Adams has been instrumental in his achievements and success in the sport, time will tell if Tai has anybody in his camp with that influential and calming manner.

• Like 1

a very good post by Steve Shovlar, I can see why Tai chose to ride in the likes of Poland, Sweden etc as opposed to Britain, the main reasoning being money, the one thing I don't understand is that previously he has said he was "tired" during a season, like most things in life you cant have the best of both worlds.

By all accounts Pete Adams has been instrumental in his achievements and success in the sport, time will tell if Tai has anybody in his camp with that influential and calming manner.

Tai has added Mark Lemon to his team for the GP's

• Like 2

Oh look dump the Brit for a Aussie how fkn predictable

• Like 1

I doubt Danish riders get slagged off by Danish fans as much as the British World Champion (born in Scunthorpe to British parents) does by a certain section of, so called, British speedway fans.

If Tai had ridden for the Pirates, Poole fans would be tripping over themselves defending him. These comments just convey a typical Poole bias I'm afraid.

Ask yourself this, if your club signed Tai Woffinden, would you stop going, or would you go and not support him, even boo him?

Danish riders dont stop riding in Denmark as soon as they can go for Big money in Poland , and all of the Danes are really Danish , not claiming to be for convenience , thats why they dont get slagged off in their own country , I've never seen a Dane win a big meeting and then sing the British national anthem ,then stand talking laughing like Mickey the monkey while theiir own anthem is played ,

• Like 5

Lol! You couldn't make it up.
  • Like 1

Lol! You couldn't make it up.

It's ok ive heard blocker Holder is adding Rosco to his....joking aside i agree L.C.G it really is laughable...but does this suggest Team Aussie may not be competing in the SWC after all this year?

Danish riders dont stop riding in Denmark as soon as they can go for Big money in Poland , and all of the Danes are really Danish , not claiming to be for convenience , thats why they dont get slagged off in their own country , I've never seen a Dane win a big meeting and then sing the British national anthem ,then stand talking laughing like Mickey the monkey while theiir own anthem is played ,

It's unlikely Tai would stop riding in the UK if it was one night a week racing here like it is, in the main, in Denmark.

So, not a good comparison at all.

Anyway, why are you upset about it? You're always complaining he is Australian. You're always complaining about Australians taking up places in our leagues that English kids should have. You should be happy!

• Like 2

hagonshocker, on 20 Apr 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

It's ok ive heard blocker Holder is adding Rosco to his....joking aside i agree L.C.G it really is laughable...but does this suggest Team Aussie may not be competing in the SWC after all this year?

who gives a flying fekk about the Aussies in the SWC, most of them are just good time charlies.

.....BWitcher......It's unlikely Tai would stop riding in the UK if it was one night a week racing here like it is, in the main, in Denmark.

So what night would you suggest so he would come rushing back to ride, along with all the other G.P. stars? Not Friday's now Poland seem to have taken that day over as well.

Who a rider has on his World Championship team has no bearing on nationality.

You see people on here saying that Kenny Carter was a "true Brit", but he teamed up with Ivan Mauger - as did Hans Nielsen.

• Like 2

Oh look dump the Brit for a Aussie how fkn predictable

DUMP is a bit harsh. Pete, like me, is no Spring Chicken and I don't think he envisaged doing more than a couple of years when they first got together.

• Like 2