British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Poole 27/4/16 7.30pm (skysports)

Yep, and im sure you'l be there to lend a hand.

They have, and Ronnie Russell brought them down to poole once, it took us 5 hours to lay them and 4 1/2 hours to take them up roll them up and stick them on the van in the pouring rain. They won't be bringing them to poole again..

Just as Sky cut off it started to rain again, so i doubt they would have saved the meeting, as you would have had to take them off about a hour before the meeting to get air to the track as it will sweat.. then it was still raining a i believe.

Far play to KL, they tried, this weather is getting rediculous..

Fair point. Anyone who preaches about track covers first of all needs to have a go at putting air fences up and down. It takes two people to fold one airfence section and 4/5 to lift it on to the truck. About 10 sections per bend. Very hard work and takes around 45 minutes to pack up, putting them up takes longer. Track covers are bigger, heavier and harder. You would need to get a team of voluteer track staff to have time off work to come in during the day and put the track covers down in probably in the pouring rain. In addition the track curator cant do his job while the covers are on. In practical terms track covers woukd only be of very very limited benefit.

• Like 2

QUESTION: I saw the King's Lynn riders in their kevlars, but didn't personally see any Poole riders changed, did anybody else see them changed ready, in case the meeting went ahead?

Having arrived at the stadium at 5.00pm, I could see the hard work that Buster had put in before the rain arrived. I also saw the hard work that he put in again once the rain had stopped, and it must have been so soul destroying for him, when those responsible, decided it wasn't safe to race on.

I, and I'm sure that many of us have seen meetings go ahead quite safely in far worse conditions than those that were presented to the riders last night. Having said that, I appreciate also that rider safety must ALWAYS come first, but do ask myself that if that had been a GP meeting last light, would it have been called off?

Star Lady mentions in her posting that she's told that Buster issues cash refunds on the day, and I can confirm that was the case last night. I wonder if all clubs have such an understanding policy?

Anyway, I suppose if there can be a consolation from the postponement, it prevents casual observers watching on TV, saying what a load of crap that sport is, because I think it possibly would have been very much follow the leader stuff, and we know it isn't really like that.

QUESTION: I saw the King's Lynn riders in their kevlars, but didn't personally see any Poole riders changed, did anybody else see them changed ready, in case the meeting went ahead?

Having arrived at the stadium at 5.00pm, I could see the hard work that Buster had put in before the rain arrived. I also saw the hard work that he put in again once the rain had stopped, and it must have been so soul destroying for him, when those responsible, decided it wasn't safe to race on.

I, and I'm sure that many of us have seen meetings go ahead quite safely in far worse conditions than those that were presented to the riders last night. Having said that, I appreciate also that rider safety must ALWAYS come first, but do ask myself that if that had been a GP meeting last light, would it have been called off?

Star Lady mentions in her posting that she's told that Buster issues cash refunds on the day, and I can confirm that was the case last night. I wonder if all clubs have such an understanding policy?

Anyway, I suppose if there can be a consolation from the postponement, it prevents casual observers watching on TV, saying what a load of crap that sport is, because I think it possibly would have been very much follow the leader stuff, and we know it isn't really like that.

Poole never changed because it was never going to be on. Buczkowski made that quite clear with his social media message and rightly so. Would have been more farcical had it gone ahead

I read this tweet from Hans last night: Hans Andersen

Let's stop the ball rolling, not racing was a shared decision between both teams, KL suited was due to meeting being in their changing room

What if the tweet by Buzz - about an hour before anything official - that it was off, was spot on. Any 'official' decision was then deferred until Sky went 'live' and they could praise all the hard work that had gone on and show the (pre-recorded?) interviews and rider discussions to make it seem that it was all a last minute decision?!

Cynical? or what..........?? ;-)

ps. Didn't someone on Sky say there was not enough dry shale available?! I thought that was exactly what Buster accused Poole of in the 2014 play-offs?! Double standards??

• Like 1

The Kings Lynn track wasn't raceable that was obvious but it was no worse than at Belle Vue when Poole needed those points. Middlo on Twitter talking bout rider safety what a hypocrite

The only Hypocrite on here is you deary.. Rider safety is paramount, but you wouldn't understand that, would you...

that track last night looked a lot better than the track Doyley rode in Poland last weekend when he was doing a Newman ;) .. WTF is going on with speedway..?

Lets get some continuity going eh?

Meaning ?

Edited by Starman2006

I read this tweet from Hans last night: Hans Andersen

Let's stop the ball rolling, not racing was a shared decision between both teams, KL suited was due to meeting being in their changing room

Thanks for that.

• Like 1

If the riders don't want to race there's nothing you can do

Glad things have changed. The fines given to Harris and Kylmakorpi when they didn't want to ride last year was nuts.

• Like 2

What speedway needs is someone at the very top who will grab this situation by the scruff of the neck; a leader whose both inspirational and innovative.

We have put men on the moon, I am under no illusions than we can introduce track protection in the form of coverings. It is not a difficult concept; protect a track's exposure to rain, snow, sleet, etc. I'm by no means a drainage expert, but off the top of my head, attach the inner part of the protective sheet to the rubbishe line and the outter to the top of the safety fence, creating an angle which encourages any water into the centre green; that's where the track staff shovel the excess mud to, anyway. I'm sure an industry expert could create something appropriate to be implimented.

I know very little about Buster Chapman and I noted his efforts last night, but pushing wet mud around a track with a tractor in an attempt to combat the postponment is the equivalent of travelling on a horse in this day-and-age.

If it rans during the meeting and it's called-off as a result, then fair enough. Meetings are very rarely abandoned, especially in comparison to postponements which, lets be honest, involve the powers that be standing watching their unprotected tracks being leathered with all sorts of weather, awaiting the uncontrollable force that is the weather to stop before they get their shovels, spades and tractors out.

I was also suspicious of Poole's riders being unsuited, but King's Lynn's riders being suited; I don't think Hans Andersen's attempted justification on Twitter makes any sense, either. They had the home changing rooms? What? You had the away ones.

Sky didn't even attempt to offer an alternative for the speedway viewer. Last week's rain-off was replaced by an Anthony Joshua documentary and I didn't even hang around for last night's replacement, but it wasn't speedway.

Oh, well. Hey, hoe. The dying sport that is speedway will plod on with no changes.

Glad things have changed. The fines given to Harris and Kylmakorpi when they didn't want to ride last year was nuts.

Yep especially when an agreed inspection then didnt take place! On this occasion though the ref obviously did an inspection.

...Rider safety is paramount...

Get it right, rider safety is paramount unless Poole need points.

• Like 4

Bikes are too fast and unpredictable to race in the wet

Don't agree, more like today's rider's have no idea how throttle control works & can't manage their set-up's accordingly.

We're in a age now where the throttle cable needs to be at it's most stretched.

• Like 3

The only Hypocrite on here is you deary.. Rider safety is paramount, but you wouldn't understand that, would you...

Meaning ?

pillock. So you think the conditions in the Belle Vue meeting were safe do you???? Last night shouldn't have gone ahead but then neither should the Belle Vue meeting. You can't bleat about rider safety when it suits paperboy

Think you need to look up the dictionary definition of hypocrite as well!