British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

A Walk Down Memory Lane, Remember The Days Of Speedway Sponsorship?

Actually, no. I don't think I've ever been at a tobacco company sponsored meeting come to think of it. I actually thought the Skoal logo looked cool, the way he wears his mask to cover up the hole in his face, awesome.

Still, having your jaw eaten away was infinitely more preferable to owning a Yugo or FSO car.

The essential point is that it wasn't just speedway that took sponsorship from tobacco producers. They were different times. Skoal Bandits were a particularly nasty product, as were all tobacco products and their involvement with our sport was brief.

You can attack speedway for many follies but to use Skoal Bandits and such sensationalist language is below the belt and only wrecks your argument which clearly is based on spite and the need for petty point-scoring, not a desire to develop discussion.

You cannot single out speedway for taking tobacco sponsorship. Anyway, this discussion was intended to be about the sport's inability to attract and keep major sponsors not you showing how unpleasant you are.

That was all good clean cancer though...

A cheap shot HA - I would expect far better from you.

Next month I will face the annual task of consoling my wife on the anniversary of her mother's death from an agonising cancer. I would NEVER use that curse for cheap digs.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

Durex Test Match Series.

Did they still call Test Matches "rubbers" back then?.

• Like 3

Next month I will face the annual task of consoling my wife on the anniversary of her mother's death from an agonising cancer. I would NEVER use that curse for cheap digs.

I'm sorry you've been affected by cancer, but I think you missed the point of the post. Speedway couldn't even tap in the big evil money of the cigarette manufacturers, but only the a**e end of tobacco products - namely Skoal Bandits. Jaw and mouth cancer is especially unpleasant as it's disfiguring and in the worst cases leaves people unable to feed themselves.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

In an attempt to get this discussion back from a pointless discussion about the obvious evils of tobacco-based products, one other minor point regarding sponsorship 'back in the day' was that there was supposed to be a block back then on sponsorship of speedway and other motor sports by producers of alcohol products.

This was rather dented by Sheffield, despite this, getting backing from the local branch of Bass Charrington, Stones to sponsor them.

I always struggled to understand how an off-road bike sport being sponsored by a brewery would encourage drink-driving.

Going right back to the start of this discussion we had blue chip sponsors because we had the crowds and media profile that a professional sponsorship agent like Michael Addison could sell to his portfolio of blue-chip clients. Sadly we don't have the crowds, media profile or a professional like Michael involved now.

I'll leave others to waste time discussing the merits of the sponsors that we did attract. I'm sure the sport wouldn't mind their money now though...

rmc, on 24 Apr 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

The essential point is that it wasn't just speedway that took sponsorship from tobacco producers. They were different times. Skoal Bandits were a particularly nasty product, as were all tobacco products and their involvement with our sport was brief.

You can attack speedway for many follies but to use Skoal Bandits and such sensationalist language is below the belt and only wrecks your argument which clearly is based on spite and the need for petty point-scoring, not a desire to develop discussion.

You cannot single out speedway for taking tobacco sponsorship. Anyway, this discussion was intended to be about the sport's inability to attract and keep major sponsors not you showing how unpleasant you are.

Blow it out yer ass, McCaffery.

I always struggled to understand how an off-road bike sport being sponsored by a brewery would encourage drink-driving.

Quite, but then neither did I take up smoking because F1 was a procession of mobile fag packets during my formative years. I guess it's down to nanny statism that thinks people can't make adult decisions for themselves, but then many can't... :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Think you have to look past the name and see what sort o deal was and is made.Mentioned it on a previous thread about sponsorship,but a big name doesn't neccesarily mean a "big deal".Robert Barth was sponsored by Coca Cola I think and Tobi Kroner by McDonalds.Both had the logo prominently on their kevlars,but they were just local deals rather than with the national or international hq

Edited by iris123

monster appears to be a big sponsor, but just look at there website, no pictures of speedway at all on there main page, it highlights how low speedway is, when it comes under those other sports on that site

Think you have to look past the name and see what sort o deal was and is made.Mentioned it on a previous thread about sponsorship,but a big name doesn't neccesarily mean a "big deal".Robert Barth was sponsored by Coca Cola I think and Tobi Kroner by McDonalds.Both had the logo prominently on their kevlars,but they were just local deals rather than with the national or international hq

The Polish subsidiary of KFC was a SGP sponsor a few years ago, but apparently didn't want to pay up.

Back in 1982 Pirelli sponsored the England v USA test series, and the video company I worked for were commissioned to video the whole series for them. When we got to Belle Vue we were thrown out by the Bamforths. When we protested that we were there on behalf of the sponsors the reaction was "Don't talk to me about sponsors, they've taken a load of seats in our stand." I have cleaned it up, but that was the gist... We've not seen Pirelli since.

Speedway went through a phase when top quality sponsors were found for the sport, usually by Michael Addison until he was released. Now, I wonder why they lost them all?

JC! mentioned Durex. I remember when the London Rubber Company were named as sponsors of a test series we were told that the sport was being pioneering and responsible, that no smutty jokes would result. I remember going to a match in the series at Birmingham where the centre green presenter said "Yes, you know Durex, it's that funny-tasting chewing gum you get in bogs". Again, words to that effect.

I wonder why we lost them all?

When speedway learns to respect the outside world and puts up with the 'nuisance' of sponsors, doesn't take then for granted, hires an agent who can deliver and realises it has to work to attract and retain sponsors it might stand a chance of finding serious sponsors. It has to clean up its act. Obviously there are exceptions on a local scale but corporately the sport has to become far more professional in its dealings with sponsors and the media who help deliver the sponsors' message.

Also Formula 2 Stock Car Racing.

I take it you therefore didn't attend the Embassy Internationale, or the Gauloises National league Riders Championship, to name just a couple of cigarette sponsorships.

wasn't it the Wills internationale ?

wills_zpskhksni0c.jpg

Hackney PJ1 Kestrels, which pretty quickly changed to the HL1 Kestrels (both racing oil companies I do believe).

Were Berwick called The Drybrough Bandits at one time - I think this was a local brewer?

And were Mildenhall named the FSO Tigers - backed by some car dealership/supplier of cheap, imported cars?

LADA, as mentioned, also were the main sponsor of the Wembly Indoor meets I seem to recall - the events generally won by Jan Andersson who (it transpired) sprayed hair laquer on his back wheel for grip. Maybe Cov riders could try similar ;) . Only went twice in the early 80's - and the LADA's used to do a few laps pre-meeting; nice looking paint jobs but at two and a half grand brand new, I guess people knew what they were getting.

Ice Speedway - went to the World Final in Eindhoven in 1983 and there was major sponsorship by CAMEL Cigs - it was on the race jackets of all riders. Every few heats, there were promo girls throwing small packs of 3 cigs into the crowd.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason