British Speedway Forum
Bryn

What Do Speedway Fans Want?

I've written something similar posing this sort of question elsewhere on a particular thread relating to one match but felt it ought to be asked on a general basis

Judging by some people's comments on this forum and indeed on other speedway forums, I can't help but wonder just what people want/expect from a speedway match? Yes we all want to see our club win, that's only natural, but do some fans really prefer 74-16 or so home wins and circa 60-30 away ones as opposed to let's say meetings that ultimately go to last heat deciders and/or produce great racing with plenty of passing, or see their team make a comeback from being behind in a match after being behind in the early heats and seemingly heading for defeat? I'd really like to hear any comments.

Speedway fans want far too many different things to make them a viable single body of opinion.

• Like 7

Well run meetings are what I want. I can tolerate a poor match as long as there are not too many delays. You can't legislate for crashes and medical issues, it's the extended intervals and multiple tractor breaks that annoy me.

• Like 4

end of d/u and ftr....personally just want a team of 7 riders. realyy detest riders swapping race jackrets every other night

• Like 2

Honesty

• Like 2

Speedway fans want far too many different things to make them a viable single body of opinion.

Absolutely right but I will share mine anyway regarding the Elite League:-

• All UK tracks to be reworked, leveled, removed of bumps & ruts with plenty of dirt added
  • Removal of rider assets, contracted stays only
  • Review of the EDR system - No'7 Brit U-21 - No'6 any Brit with less than 5 years EL experience
  • Team building back to 42.50 average
  • A move to 2 race night's a week (Monday & Thursday)
  • Foreign assessed riders 5.50 or above, their averages cannot drop below at any time
  • Referees to have access to video technology
  • Like GP's, ready to race in 2mins with visible stop clock

That's just a few

Edited by Danny Smith

Close racing, overtaking, more than one racing line, no restarts, and a result that goes down to the wire.

• Like 1

Sensible, well thought out rules.

Start with a sensible average and say for a period of 3 or 5 years allow the teams to keep the same riders. Other teams can build up to the average of the top team for this 3 or 5 year period, after which the team limit is re set and it all starts again.

A short period for practice before the meeting starts, this will help the away riders and check out the track.

A quickly run meeting with the option of second half for juniors etc.

The season to start when it is not so cold.

Get rid of T/R.

The return of only 2 points for a home win if the away team is within 6 points.

I want to see close racing with plenty of overtaking and action and most meetings ending with close scores rather than white washes, we had those a few years back when we headed the league and quite frankly the races became predictable and boring.

It would be good if most meetings were only decided in the last couple of heats.

What do we want? Entertainment! When do we want it? Now!

What chance have we in getting it...none. :(

• Like 1

I've written something similar posing this sort of question elsewhere on a particular thread relating to one match but felt it ought to be asked on a general basis

Judging by some people's comments on this forum and indeed on other speedway forums, I can't help but wonder just what people want/expect from a speedway match? Yes we all want to see our club win, that's only natural, but do some fans really prefer 74-16 or so home wins and circa 60-30 away ones as opposed to let's say meetings that ultimately go to last heat deciders and/or produce great racing with plenty of passing, or see their team make a comeback from being behind in a match after being behind in the early heats and seemingly heading for defeat? I'd really like to hear any comments.

Depends whether you're talking about 15 minutes action or the complete entertainment package?

Peter Oakes is the new head of Peterborough Speedway and will run the club as Director of Speedway on behalf of Owner Rick Frost

Peter explained that his role will be to run the club for Rick Frost and in conjunction with staff that are already in place. He will be bringing in fresh ideas on the presentation side and he will be looking at improving attendances amongst other things.

Peter Oakes said: “I will be looking to add a more complete entertainment package and we have discussed and we will be exploring new ideas.

• Like 1

Honesty, integrity and an explanation of why certain decisions are made. Not to be treated with contempt.

A close meeting with my team winning but I accept that can't be made to happen and some times my team will lose and sometimes they'll win so easily it's a bit boring.

All of the above and an end to refs' obsession with "unsatisfactory starts". If a rider has better reactions than the rest and/or can get away with anticipating the start without breaking the tapes, why should he be penalised? The only starting offence should be breaking the tapes.

• Like 5