British Speedway Forum
remembertheracers

Alarmingly Low Crowds

I actually gave up reading this comment half way through.

So did I...and I was author of same!

Edited by steve roberts

FROM all accounts there were some decent crowds at speedway meetings over the Bank holiday weekend.

But how ridiculous, for example, that after tomorrow Poole don't have a fixture until June 29th.

That's crazy. Why such a big gap?

That's crazy. Why such a big gap?

I'm guessing, but maybe Matt doesn't want to run against Eoro 2016?
  • Like 1

I'm guessing not wanting to clash with the football

Edit: beat by a minute Nick.

Edited by salty

One reason (amongst many) why I stopped going to speedway...the lack of continuity. To have a gap like that in June is just plain nonsense. Without knowing the facts I guess it's due to rider unavailability?

I believe part of it is to do with a certain little football competition in France...The two above beat me to it.. ;)

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

I believe part of it is to do with a certain little football competition in France...The two above beat me to it.. ;)

Thanks for that! I honestly have no interest in football whatsoever so wasn't aware of the potential clash of dates.

It can't be because Euro 2016 as England don't even feature on a Wednesday

I can't see how the euro fixtures are going to effect Speedway.

A vast amount of the fixtures are being played in the afternoon, when most of us are at work or on our way back.

And many football fans will only be watching the home nations...and dipping in and out of the other games.

Can see many watching on catch up tv.

Wouldn't it also be a good marketing tool to incorporate the euro's into a Speedway meeting.

Play it in the bars...so you can keep an eye on both and have a bevvy whilst doing so?

• Like 1

I can't see how the euro fixtures are going to effect Speedway.

A vast amount of the fixtures are being played in the afternoon, when most of us are at work or on our way back.

And many football fans will only be watching the home nations...and dipping in and out of the other games.

Can see many watching on catch up tv.

Wouldn't it also be a good marketing tool to incorporate the euro's into a Speedway meeting.

Play it in the bars...so you can keep an eye on both and have a bevvy whilst doing so?

I remember Oxford having screens located in various locations during one football tournament...not that I bothered with the facility!

• Like 1

Alarmingly large crowd at swindon last night! Great atmosphere.

Looking on the telly, that didnt look a viable turn out for Lakeside..A few hundred at best. Was that just because of TV coverage or is that the norm this year?

Edited by Notenoughnerve

Alarmingly large crowd at swindon last night! Great atmosphere.

I bet the atmosphere wasn't so great tonight. :neutral:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

British Speedway is uniquely different to the continental model and is fundamentally an on terrace spectator sport having a coffee and a burger or better still a pint if your not driving. Our model is not comfortable with TV and the razzematazz of the Slovenian GP. To make matters worse there are too many rules and regulations which need simplifying and relaxing while ensuring the safety of rider and spectators alike.

Looking on the telly, that didnt look a viable turn out for Lakeside..A few hundred at best. Was that just because of TV coverage or is that the norm this year?

It's always like that on the telly but one local on here claims their crowds are always down for televised meetings.

I bet the atmosphere was

n't so great tonight. :neutral:

I bet it wasnt!