British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PTDragons

Carmarthen Dragons Return!

Why did the dragons lose their home in the first place ?

Finances were an issue with the Dragons home meetings not counting much more than 100 on a Sunday afternoon, despite the track being in such amazing views from the back straight, as SCB said.

The land was owned by the local commerce (I think), who stated that they were building a hotel on land nearby and needed our corner of land (as we were tucked away in the far corner) for their business. 12 years on and the land still stands idle, which is probably the most disappointing thing for me. You can still make out the track if you visit.

Finances were an issue with the Dragons home meetings not counting much more than 100 on a Sunday afternoon, despite the track being in such amazing views from the back straight, as SCB said.

The land was owned by the local commerce (I think), who stated that they were building a hotel on land nearby and needed our corner of land (as we were tucked away in the far corner) for their business. 12 years on and the land still stands idle, which is probably the most disappointing thing for me. You can still make out the track if you visit.

A bit like the scenario at Reading then really ,they wanted the land for development , and it stood idle for years after they bulldozed the stadium , good luck with it anyway , this time round you may attract some of the former Newport Support ,which would help with finances

• Like 1

Update to the fixtures on page 1, the Kings Lynn meeting has now moved to July 14.

We are looking to run a minibus to Stoke on June 18 (7.00 start) if anyone is interested in travelling together from the South Wales area. If anyone is interested, please message menin the next week or so.

A quick update as to where we are in respect of the return of Speedway in Wales with the Carmarthen Dragons. The press release reads:

"At the time of writing we have completed our second fixture. Unfortunately both of these have resulted in a loss for the Dragons.

However, we have taken huge steps forward and considering we are doing this the hard way by riding all of our fixtures as the away team all over the UK, our lads haven't had the benefits of riding the same track week in and week out, no two tracks are the same, bike and engine settings have to be changed which allows no time to experiment or settle in.
Our team spirit is second to none as the team are beginning to gel which is in line with our policy of keeping a regular team instead of a win at all costs and different riders appearing in the team. The supporters need a regular team to follow.
With regard to a home track, we can now say that speedway will sadly never return to the Carmarthen showground but this is far from the end of our search. We have been in talks with other land owners in Carmarthenshire with positive results so far . We will make further announcements as progress is made .
We are already looking forward to the 2017 season as fixtures are already in discussion with a big fixture in the planning stage. The club will make a progression in the near future and when we can announce it, we will do."
  • Like 1

Not sure if this is too far for the Dragons - the old Swansea Greyhound Track is available from the council, I think. It's only a few minutes off the M4 - maybe 30 mins from Carmarthen. Bigger catchment area as well!

I hope you're successful. I'd certainly come and watch if you get a south wales base.

I went in 2004 to watch the Swindon Sprockets there,really enjoyed it the track i loved it what a marathon trip home to Swindon a bloody long way.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Some very interesting news on Twitter - a suitable site has been found. It all now depends on getting Planning Permission.

• Like 3

Some very interesting news on Twitter - a suitable site has been found. It all now depends on getting Planning Permission.

Great news! Fingers crossed for the return of Carmarthen.

Loved the viewing at both Carmarthen and Weymouth Mk 2, where you were looking down at the track.

All the best

Rob

I think someone else has mentioned this previously - the old Swansea Greyhound Stadium site is still available as the Council's proposal to use it as a Gypsy/Traveller site met with huge local opposition. I believe the site is in a bad state of repair now, but may be worth considering if the site which the potential promoters have found falls through - possibly a proposal to use it for Speedway would be welcomed by the local residents in case the Council re-introduces the Gypsy/Traveller site proposal and it has the advantage of a huge population in the catchment area.

I think someone else has mentioned this previously - the old Swansea Greyhound Stadium site is still available as the Council's proposal to use it as a Gypsy/Traveller site met with huge local opposition. I believe the site is in a bad state of repair now, but may be worth considering if the site which the potential promoters have found falls through - possibly a proposal to use it for Speedway would be welcomed by the local residents in case the Council re-introduces the Gypsy/Traveller site proposal and it has the advantage of a huge population in the catchment area.

Didn't Gareth Rogers try for planning permission here years ago?

I'm surprised anyone wants to run Carmarthen, as the crowds were very poor!

Ho please let them get that dreaded planning permission. I could do with a holiday.

Sounds perfect for speedway then...

• Like 1

Sounds perfect for speedway then...

Is anybody sure that Swansea Greyhound Stadium still exists?. From the pictures I have seen of it there is just a field with the derelict remains of some buildings.