British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

I remember Steve one day at the Abbey it P....d down all day i got to the meeting only about half/hour before the meeting thinking it has to be off.They run it The Mike Keen benefit meeting Dag cleaned up remember when he challenged for the helmet? in 74 he was a world class rider.Bit like Tommy Jansson ( Wembley) he struggled at first but stuck at it came back the rest is history Dag retired to young.

Yes Sid I also went to the Mike Keen Meeting. Dag was majestic and recorded a 15 point maximum! Super performance. Only rode in one World Final unfortunately but a classy act nevertheless.

Felt sorry for Mike because he was told that if the meeting didn't go ahead there wasn't a suitable alternative date to run. The weather was shocking...all the more surprising considering the blistering 76 summer!

I would agree. I have nothing but admiration for what Ivan achieved. He started with nothing and thru' sheer dedication and hard work achieved the ultimate to become the best ever speedway rider!

I recently re-read his first autobiography 'Triple Crown Plus' and is an amazing rags to riches story.

Barry Thomas - another rider who showed potential but never quite realised it...another great entertainer however!

Barry started riding about the same time as Dave Jessup, (although Thommo was a couple of years older), they were of similar ability at first, but Thommo enjoyed the social side of the sport, and was in the bar after meetings chatting to the fans, while the more dedicated DJ was tucked up in bed!

Obviously Jessup was top class, but given the choice between watching him or Thommo every Friday night at the Wick is a definite no-brainer, they were at opposite ends of the excitement scale. Mind you we would have won more matches with DJ, but who cares!

I know I speak for every Hackney fan when I say we felt almost privileged to watch him for twenty unforgettable years.

Apart from winning the 1970 British junior championship, (beating Jessup into second place incidentally), his finest moment for me was when he rode between the team riding Ivan Mauger and Scott Autrey coming off the last bend after four pulsating laps to give Hackney the win, and White City the league title.

Strangely enough he always seemed to have Mauger's measure at Waterden Road, and more often than not would beat him, even if he was having a bad night he'd always pull out something extra against Ivan.

• Like 2

George Hunter.

It was a privilege watching George during his two seasons at Cowley (1978 & 79) His team riding skills were second to none. Another rider, alas, no longer with us.

Barry started riding about the same time as Dave Jessup, (although Thommo was a couple of years older), they were of similar ability at first, but Thommo enjoyed the social side of the sport, and was in the bar after meetings chatting to the fans, while the more dedicated DJ was tucked up in bed!

Obviously Jessup was top class, but given the choice between watching him or Thommo every Friday night at the Wick is a definite no-brainer, they were at opposite ends of the excitement scale. Mind you we would have won more matches with DJ, but who cares!

I know I speak for every Hackney fan when I say we felt almost privileged to watch him for twenty unforgettable years.

Apart from winning the 1970 British junior championship, (beating Jessup into second place incidentally), his finest moment for me was when he rode between the team riding Ivan Mauger and Scott Autrey coming off the last bend after four pulsating laps to give Hackney the win, and White City the league title.

Strangely enough he always seemed to have Mauger's measure at Waterden Road, and more often than not would beat him, even if he was having a bad night he'd always pull out something extra against Ivan.

As a White City fan Barry will always be regarded of one of 'our' heroes! I believe that Bob Dugard made every tentative enquiries wanting to know if Barry was available for transfer? Or it may have been just a publicity stunt!

Garry Middleton - My first hero. Could have gone much further in the sport but one got the impression that his mind was often on other business ventures and he didn't give speedway his fullest attention. Tony Webb's book gave a great insight to his character and personality.

Edited by steve roberts

Barry is one of the most exciting riders i have ever had the privilege to watch really exciting remember one of the first times seeing him was in the England v USSR test matches. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I think Ove Fundin should have won more world titles.....

• Like 1

I think Ove Fundin should have won more world titles.....

NO NO NO 😆😆Norbold have you been on the pop!Myself so disapointed Briggo only won four titles 1972? but when you analyse it you are RIGHT Ove should of won more than 5 titles.😆 Edited by Sidney the robin

Joe Screen for me.

I was there for his debut and still haven't seen anyone as good at his age.

Obviously his gating held him back but he was still making progress when he suffered his big injury whilst riding for Bradford? Never quite the same after that.

billy janniro, henka gustafason, danny king, dave Morton, chris pusey, john boulger, john titman, doug wyer

Phil Herne - Top rider at Birmingham in 1974 (topped the averages in the New National League) and was expected to move up with Ipswich but signed for Newport instead. Starred at Somerton Park and did well at Bristol in 1977 but went back to Birmingham for the 1978 season. Sort of went downhill from then finishing his career at Swindon in 1983 (?)

He had two sons, Lee can't remember the other's name, who both rode briefly.

Bo Petersen - Achieved a high average at Hackney and for a tall rider had a super style. Won many races from the back but should have achieved more. A move to Swindon proved productive but he retired from Britain before resurfacing at Arena Essex in the lower league and proved an inspired choice. I recall Malcolm Simmons as co-promoter of King's Lynn signed Bo but was disappointed with his performances for 'The Stars'.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Joe Screen for me.

I was there for his debut and still haven't seen anyone as good at his age.

Obviously his gating held him back but he was still making progress when he suffered his big injury whilst riding for Bradford? Never quite the same after that.

Think Mike Lee was in a different league, saying that you didn't see Mike did you.I really rated Joe what a talent he was and all in all he had a great career.

Think Mike Lee was in a different league, saying that you didn't see Mike did you.I really rated Joe what a talent he was and all in all he had a great career.

First saw Michael Lee ride in exhibition rides as a 15 year old against Colin Richardson at Cowley in 1974. His debut season riding for Boston and doubling up with King's Lynn in 1975 soon established him as one to watch. Saw quite a bit of him at White City in 1976 and Michael was soon challenging Terry Betts as the number one at King's Lynn. Saw his international debut, again at White City, in 1977 riding for England against the Rest of the World (there were no other worthy teams who could challenge England in those days...how times have changed!) and he rode exceptionally well winning many of his points from behind.

First saw Michael Lee ride in exhibition rides as a 15 year old against Colin Richardson at Cowley in 1974. His debut season riding for Boston and doubling up with King's Lynn in 1975 soon established him as one to watch. Saw quite a bit of him at White City in 1976 and Michael was soon challenging Terry Betts as the number one at King's Lynn. Saw his international debut, again at White City, in 1977 riding for England against the Rest of the World (there were no other worthy teams who could challenge England in those days...how times have changed!) and he rode exceptionally well winning many of his points from behind.

The first time i ever saw Michael Lee was in the Silver Plume at Swindon he scored ten points ( think he was 16? ) very impressive when he reached stardom my first thought was that he was a gater.Then i realised he was decent from the back a racer when things were right, when you think to be a in/out no1 in the old NL aged 16 averaged over 9 points some going that .In 1975 he averaged over 9 for Boston and 7.43 for King,s Lynn, the next year for King,s Lynn full time he averaged 9.43 .Carter is the only Brit that comes near to him in my view, and again he was good very good Tai now has has taken over his era and i am a supporter of him to. Edited by Sidney the robin

I saw Mlke Lee at 15 around Kings Lynn and have yet to see a better rider at the age ,and I think he did underachieve with the talent had even though he was a World Champion.

• Like 1