British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue V Swindon 11 May, 2016.

Spot on.

Reserves have always played a part in speedway but ever since the "draft" came in, more meetings than not, have been decided by their performances and the heat leaders importance has steadily declined. But this season with the new rules, it really has gone too far and nearly every meeting so far is being decided by whichever team has a so called "reserve" or even "reserves", scoring 15-20+ points on his own or between them, so that even when a World class number 1 like Doyle is missing (and replaced by an average rider like Harris) then the team can still easily win a meeting (away at that too!) because of their number 6 or 7 (or both!!).

No wonder British speedway struggles to attract either a) many real quality riders or B) crowds!!

As I pointed out earlier. It's an illusion that the strong reserve is winning the matches, because the rider who should be there is struggling in the top 5 and can only be replaced once.

Wright could have picked up plenty of points at reserve, and Tungate would have outscored what Wright scored in the top 5.

It's wrong that these riders are at reserve. Pedersen at reserve for Poole is ridiculous. But it's not neccesarily making teams stronger. Pedersen beating reserves by half a lap doesn't score any more than Wright, Ellis or Howarth beating reserves by a small amount, but Ellis or Wright scoring 1 or 2 in the top 5 scores less than the likes of Pedersen and Tungate scoring 6 or 7.

It needs sorting, but, in the end, it's still the same 7 riders. Swindon didn't win just because they had Tungate at reserve.

• Like 3

can someone confirm the prices for belle vue- is it £23 for a grandstand seat

Prices Elite League Terrace Grandstand Premium Grandstand t

£17.00 £20.00 £23.00

Edited by Brummies_Ste

I wonder if Rosco saw any good features at the track that he is mentioning to the designers so that they may be included in the new stadium that we may be getting.

I wonder if Rosco saw any good features at the track that he is mentioning to the designers so that they may be included in the new stadium that we may be getting.

Think the first priority is you get a track. Any extra on that is a plus, I'm sure that's all Rosco will worry about just now.

As I pointed out earlier. It's an illusion that the strong reserve is winning the matches, because the rider who should be there is struggling in the top 5 and can only be replaced once.

Wright could have picked up plenty of points at reserve, and Tungate would have outscored what Wright scored in the top 5.

It's wrong that these riders are at reserve. Pedersen at reserve for Poole is ridiculous. But it's not neccesarily making teams stronger. Pedersen beating reserves by half a lap doesn't score any more than Wright, Ellis or Howarth beating reserves by a small amount, but Ellis or Wright scoring 1 or 2 in the top 5 scores less than the likes of Pedersen and Tungate scoring 6 or 7.

It needs sorting, but, in the end, it's still the same 7 riders. Swindon didn't win just because they had Tungate at reserve.

Spot on Swindon won because Morris got 9 Sedgy/Josh 6 each and Stef 6 also take in to consideration Bomber scored alot less than Doyley would of got.
  • Like 2

can someone confirm the prices for belle vue- is it £23 for a grandstand seat

and for NL matches its £10 £10 and £10 for Terrace, Grandstand, Premium Grandstand

and the program is £2 (EL is £3)

Pleased for Belle Vue fans that they have a track to be proud of.Looks very good given time it will be even better more big meetings on the horizon for this track.Fair play to Chris/Co for making it happen Mort was a big favourite of mine as a rider and is easy to talk to now as a promoter. And he gives fans the time of day chuffed for him and the diehard Belle Vue fans.

• Like 1

Spot on.

Reserves have always played a part in speedway but ever since the "draft" came in, more meetings than not, have been decided by their performances and the heat leaders importance has steadily declined. But this season with the new rules, it really has gone too far and nearly every meeting so far is being decided by whichever team has a so called "reserve" or even "reserves", scoring 15-20+ points on his own or between them, so that even when a World class number 1 like Doyle is missing (and replaced by an average rider like Harris) then the team can still easily win a meeting (away at that too!) because of their number 6 or 7 (or both!!).

No wonder British speedway struggles to attract either a) many real quality riders or B) crowds!!

Most arent happy with that particular ruling especially Alun at Swindon but not really sure what that troll is getting at calling him a disgrace?! The ruling's in most sides will benefit at some stage with a 1-5 rider dropping down and banging in big points...deal with it...oh btw Wright who probably would had scored at least 8 from reserve only scored 2 from the number 2 position..Tungate with the form he is in and gating like he is would had far outscored that

• Like 2

Most arent happy with that particular ruling especially Alun at Swindon but not really sure what that troll is getting at calling him a disgrace?! The ruling's in most sides will benefit at some stage with a 1-5 rider dropping down and banging in big points...deal with it...oh btw Wright who probably would had scored at least 8 from reserve only scored 2 from the number 2 position..Tungate with the form he is in and gating like he is would had far outscored that

KKS is just a pillock and wind up merchant hs

• Like 1

KKS is just a pillock and wind up merchant hs

Very true...i'd go as far as saying it's an inbred, if im being honest ive lost track of what bloody names it uses!

• Like 1

Spot on post.

The same situation applied to Wolves with Masters, where if anything they were weaker with him at reserve and Howarth as a heat leader. The fact Lindgren had gone back to second string and Bech to heat leader made them weaker still.

It wasn't, Rob. It was, as New Science has suggested, a rider drifting off the inside. If either rider had stayed on the kerb, there would have been no passing at all.

Make no mistake, the shape of the track is superb - the entrance to the bends has to be seen to be believed - and there's no reason why it cannot be as good as its predecessor at Hyde Road. Jon Armstrong's brilliant ride last Friday proved that.

But it needs someone - like Colin Meredith - who can prepare it properly. Otherwise it might as well be square and full of holes.

I don't doubt that the rest of the meeting wasn't but I am only commenting on the one heat that's available, not the meeting itself. I trust your judgement of the overall meeting but that heat 11 entertained me hugely, hence my comment which acknowledged that there was still far to go. To me the mark of a good track is the ability to pass on the outside but I can still know a good race when I see one. Obviously I can't comment on the other 14 heats.

I don't doubt that the rest of the meeting wasn't but I am only commenting on the one heat that's available, not the meeting itself. I trust your judgement of the overall meeting but that heat 11 entertained me hugely, hence my comment which acknowledged that there was still far to go. To me the mark of a good track is the ability to pass on the outside but I can still know a good race when I see one. Obviously I can't comment on the other 14 heats.

Problem is mate, it was said, to be the best race of the night, so what were the rest like ? 1 2 3 4. And I don't care how good the track is, you will always get that...

Problem is mate, it was said, to be the best race of the night, so what were the rest like ? 1 2 3 4. And I don't care how good the track is, you will always get that...

I am amazed at the profound wisdom. I'd never realised that if one race is the best of the night the others might not be as good. :lol:

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1