British Speedway Forum
robert72

David Hemsley Has Resigned As Promoter Of Leicester Speedway

It seems he has had enough of the way the sport is run in this country.

He's not the only one.

• Like 5

Leicester Speedway has been rocked with the news that David Hemsley has resigned his position as senior promoter of the Lions.

“I have decided to resign as the Promoter of Leicester and the British Speedway Promoters’ Association have been notified accordingly of my intention to stand down. There have been many issues associated with the decision which has not been taken lightly. It was a personal ambition of mine to bring speedway back to Leicester and with the help of many people we achieved what no-one else could. Whilst speedway still remains a passion I am letting go of the reins to give others the opportunity to take the club forward and build upon the foundations that have been set since we opened in 2011” explained David Hemsley.

The decision has come following a run of issues over a number of years that has made the Lions Promoter feel his position is untenable, particularly as he is one of a new breed of speedway promoters who would wish to see change in both the British Speedway Promoters’ Association and the Speedway Control Bureau by bringing speedway more in-line with other sports governing bodies who he deals with through his company on a day to day basis.

“No doubt at some point I will have the opportunity to present my case but in the meantime I am not going into the detail. My role as Managing Director and owner of Leicester Speedway does not change but what it does mean is that it alters my position as the senior promoter of Leicester Speedway.

“My decision to stand down as the senior promoter will leave a vacant position to fill. That said I have offered up to the BSPA a proposal that my wife Yulia takes over this position until the end of the season which if accepted will keep the family connection in the business. With the vast promotional experience of Neil Machin to call upon and supported by David Darcy the club will continue to operate effectively as ever before and it will be business as usual.”

Speedway returned to Leicester after an absence of twenty-eight years in 2011 at Beaumont Park and under Hemsley’s leadership the Lions entered the Premier League, spending three seasons in the middle tier of British Speedway during which time the team reached the play-offs once and were twice runners-up in the Premier League Fours’ Final. In 2014 the club gained membership to the Elite League and whilst they finished bottom of the table that first year an improvement in their away form last season resulted in a sixth place finish.

• Like 1

Been away from speedway for 30 years and since returning the stories I hear (on this forum) as to whats happening in British speedway shocks me.

It seems something is badly wrong, has been for some years, and unless major change will continue into the future.

When I look at my recent copy of Bactrack magazine I am reminded that at one time there were two leagues each with 18 teams.

Of course lots of things have changed in the UK since then that eroded the potential of speedway, but looking at the sorry state of affairs now and one could almost cry.

I dont have an answer to the problem and sadly neither does the powers that be in UK speedway.

I can only see a further demise in British speedway in the future.

I am now only interested in the top individual meetings, but may be tempted to go to the new Belle Vue to see national league speedway sometime this year, maybe soon.

• Like 2

so hes still the owner staying as managing director and his wife is going to take his job as promoter hardly needs a press release hes just having a rant.this is a guy who built a new track that was the wrong shape,races on the wrong night and or runs his team in the wrong league,them blames everyone else

• Like 3

It seems he has had enough of the way the sport is run in this country.

sounds like he has had enough of the shenanigans that go on year on year......

independant panel needed now more than ever before...

• Like 1

I am full of admiration for David Hemsley as he put his money up and brought Speedway back to Leicester and has some good ideas.

However he has made a number of wrong decisions and is very unwilling to listen to experienced advice on matters e.g Track shape,race night and how you deal with your customers.

There is a lot more to his promotors resignation it was more of a case that he walked before he was pushed as his position in the BSPA has become unworkable.

Unfortunately I do have concerns over the future at Leicester for the rest of this season and unless somebody else comes forward to buy it will it continue in 2017 as am unsure whether Mr Hemsley will be happy with current crowd levels to be just the owner.

• Like 2

What amazes me is that with so many promoters moaning about decisions making since the AGM how nobody stood up and said, "look, we're making a pigs ear of this". So far Hemsley, Chapman, Rosco and Horton (half the EL including BSPA chairman) have said the whole thing is a farce, things were rushed or they're disillusioned.

Still, all part of the great new era for Chapman and his band of merry men.

Bit of a non story if his wife is taking over from him is it not? thought she ran the show anyway.

• Like 3

Bit of a non story if his wife is taking over from him is it not? thought she ran the show anyway.

If she takes over officially , thats the end of Leicester speedway

Edited by speedibee

And again a Poole fan misses the whole context of the statement. Its quite clear some promoters have serious concerns how the AGM went and where the sport is heading.

Why vote certain things through then? If most of them had issues with it, seems a bit bizarre.
  • Like 3

That he is getting out but rather than cutting his nose off to spite his face and closing down the club he has built from nothing he's letting his wife take charge for a few months.

Bear in mind Hemsley has always been an, "it's my club....." man!

What amazes me is that with so many promoters moaning about decisions making since the AGM how nobody stood up and said, "look, we're making a pigs ear of this". So far Hemsley, Chapman, Rosco and Horton (half the EL including BSPA chairman) have said the whole thing is a farce, things were rushed or they're disillusioned.

Still, all part of the great new era for Chapman and his band of merry men.

All things 2016 were done and dusted before Chapman was voted in as Chairman. You know that.

As soon as the AGM'S was over Chapman said he'd of done things very different for 2016. The only promoter to say such words immediately after. The other promoters are only crying about it now. They're the thick one's who are so short sighted.

Obviously we have no idea what goes on but Chapman was the first and only to say it was bad. The other's didn't see what was wrong until their teams started racing.

• Like 1