British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Who Has Ridden At Most Uk Tracks?

I have Gordon Kennett at 57 tracks with 2 unconfirmed - Weymouth (Radipole Lane) and Belle Vue (Kirky Lane).

TMC, please note that Simmo rode at five Glasgow tracks - White City, Hampden Park (rode in the first meeting), Coatbridge, Craighead Park and Shawfield.

I followed Gordon during his Oxford, White City and part of his Eastbourne British League career. I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have ridden at Weymouth during his 'Rebels' years...can't recall either team, in any format, ever riding at Radipole Lane. Couldn't be sure about his Eastbourne appearances however.

• Like 1

Most enjoyable thread on this forum for ages.

Delighted to see the great Jim Squibb out in front - not many got past him once he did that on the track!

One thing I think it proves is that the backbone of our wonderful sport is the "average" riders who make up the bulk of teams. Superstars are also an essential ingredient of course but all those 3rd heat leaders, second strings and reserves are often the unsung heroes.

Thanks to those who did all the research.

:) :) :)

• Like 1

Guest compost

I have Gordon Kennett at 57 tracks with 2 unconfirmed - Weymouth (Radipole Lane) and Belle Vue (Kirky Lane).

TMC, please note that Simmo rode at five Glasgow tracks - White City, Hampden Park (rode in the first meeting), Coatbridge, Craighead Park and Shawfield.

Kennett rode for Wolverhampton at Belle Vue in the league on the 15th October 1993 (6-5-1) which would have been at Kirky Lane. I think that is a confirmation for you source S/way Star.

Thanks for that update. If Kennett rode at Radipole Lane it was between 1979 and 1984 but it's looking doubtful, in full meetings anyway.

Of the league circuits in operation during his career he didn't appear at either Barrow circuit, Glasgow Blantyre, Nelson, Paisley or Scunthorpe (Ashby Ville). Buxton, Iwade/Sittingbourne and Linlithgow ran in a league capacity for the first time in 1994, the year he retired, you could technically add them though there was no chance of him appearing on any of the circuits that year, training sessions excepted.

• Like 2

Ran another couple of these looking at the Beaton brothers, Bobby and Jim.

Bobby, in a career that spanned 1968-88, managed 52 circuits. He began his career in the British League and remained a top league rider until dropping down to join Newcastle in 1982. This undoubtedly stifled his potential figure, 12 of the 13 tracks he didn't appear at were second division.

Jim's career was badly affected by injury and although it spanned 1971-86 he was largely absent for 7 of those seasons. In the end Jim got around 43 circuits, riding almost exclusively in the 2nd division. He only missed out on 5 possible second division tracks which is remarkable when you consider both his absences from racing and the fact that he only rode one away match in 1980, and that was at Edinburgh!

• Like 2

Just harking back to the George Hunter post, I concur with the 63 track total. I could also add one more though slightly dubious, a challenge match staged at Dunmore, Belfast in 1968.

• Like 1

Just harking back to the George Hunter post, I concur with the 63 track total. I could also add one more though slightly dubious, a challenge match staged at Dunmore, Belfast in 1968.

Well spotted. So at the moment it's Jimmy Squibb on 68 from George Hunter on 64 and Colin Gooddy on 60?
  • Like 1

I've so far got Rob Hollingworth on 57. I'm pretty sure I've missed some as well. Need to have a more thorough look.

His big bonus is 1977, when as well as being an ever-present with Boston, he almost did every meeting with BL Wolves that as well. And, of course, his 2000 to 2005 comeback mops up another set of tracks.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

lucifer sam, on 01 Jun 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

I've so far got Rob Hollingworth on 57. I'm pretty sure I've missed some as well. Need to have a more thorough look.

His big bonus is 1977, when as well as being an ever-present with Boston, he almost did every meeting with BL Wolves that as well. And, of course, his 2000 to 2005 comeback mops up another set of tracks.

All the best

Rob

Is that 57 including the 2000-onwards tracks?

• Like 1

Great to see the names of Jimmy Squibb, George Hunter and Colin Gooddy at the top. Was privileged to see all three race in 1964-68. Amazing longevity of JS career-always a great entertainer!! BTW- Gooddy is quite an unusual name-was Colin any relation to the Great Train robber of the same name-anyone know??

Great to see the names of Jimmy Squibb, George Hunter and Colin Gooddy at the top. Was privileged to see all three race in 1964-68. Amazing longevity of JS career-always a great entertainer!! BTW- Gooddy is quite an unusual name-was Colin any relation to the Great Train robber of the same name-anyone know??

Remember 'Joe' Gooddy riding for Oxford and according to the late Malc Simmons a great guy!

Once had a good look at his bike and it appeared to be held together by bits of string and tape but, boy, could he gate when the mood took him!

Edited by steve roberts

Is that 57 including the 2000-onwards tracks?

It does include them, but I'm not confident that I've got every track from this period. Rob Hollingworth has also competed in amateur meetings, and those need to be captured as well.

All the best

Rob

It does include them, but I'm not confident that I've got every track from this period. Rob Hollingworth has also competed in amateur meetings, and those need to be captured as well.

All the best

Rob

Thanks, Rob, for kindly agreeing to check out Rob Hollingworth's full appearance list, to add to the excellent work Dave Allan has already put in.

As well as his spell with Wolverhampton, Robert also rode more than 30 top flight matches for Coventry spread across two seasons, 1980-81.

Is Alan Mogridge, who rode for 18 different teams and had a very long career, also a possible contender?

I'm going to check out where Ken McKinlay stands in the post-war UK track appearance rankings.

Edited by tmc

What do you all think about including training tracks in the list?

Dave Allan has confirmed that Les Collins rode at Linlithgow when it was just a training venue and we know for sure that Barry Thomas and Malcolm Simmons also both rode at Iwade (Thommo and his brother Ivor built the place!), but these were mere solo practice sessions and not official, licenced meetings.

Also, some of those who do feature in the top 25 will possibly have had unofficial laps at other training sites, including the old one in the north-east at Felton.

And who can prove which riders had laps at the original, bigger Rye House training track, which was a major training centre in the 40s, 50s and early 60s?

For this reason I don't believe they should be included in the definitive list, but mentioned as a footnote.

Ivan Mauger is another whose list needs to be thoroughly checked, because it would be easy for some venues to slip through the net.

While it's true that his spell of riding third division for Eastbourne in the late 50s and Newcastle at Provincial League level in 1963 and '64 was brief, Ivan appeared at a number of second tier tracks in the BL2/National League era, riding in match-races and testimonials.

Edited by tmc

I followed Gordon during his Oxford, White City and part of his Eastbourne British League career. I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have ridden at Weymouth during his 'Rebels' years...can't recall either team, in any format, ever riding at Radipole Lane. Couldn't be sure about his Eastbourne appearances however.

Gordon Kennett appeared the weekend before last at Lydd in the Vets Championship! Another to add to the list!!