British Speedway Forum
dj350z

If And When Bomber Retires..............

I was a regular at Brandon, yes, also Perry Barr and Blackbird Road

So was I.

And I'd hardly call him a "character" as another poster has

Go on then, tell me why.

Hated him then, still do - sorry, just a personal opinion - good rider, undoubtedly

The only time I've cheered a rider falling (not out loud, though) was when he fell in the 1977 final in Gothenburg

His circus has ruined British speedway and I will not forgive him for that

That would of happened even if it was not Ole,that is progress i am not a lover of the series but it has in a lot of ways really taken the sport forward.My gripe is who see,s the money? i agree with you Red that i believe you are the same as me you loved league racing the BL was the cream the series has totally DESTROYED that.

By 'hated' I mean I disliked him intensely - the same way I feel about Duncan Ferguson, Alex Ferguson, Marouane Fellaini and Kevin Pietersen

I cheered his loss of three points at Ullevi, only when it was clear he was uninjured

We each have our own likes and dislikes, and Olsen tops my speedway list - which is not a very long one

In 52+ years following this great sport, to me, no one comes near him as a dislike

Surprising for me,he is in the top 10 riders easily that i ever see ride and he would be high up hey i respect your opinion Red" though.

Why? Prior to Ole signing for the Bees in 1976, they were going nowhere. Booey was gearing up for retirement, although it didn't initially last that long, and who else was there in the team to take them forward? No one, that's who.

Which is why Charles Ochiltree stared down the rest of British Speedway until he got his man. He did one of the shrewdest pieces of business in British League history when he paid an undisclosed sum of money to Hull Speedway to secure the Dane's services. Ochiltree and Olsen needed each other and they knew it. Olsen's reputation as an out and out team man and his uncanny knack of getting the best out of the most unlikely team mates turned Coventry into title contenders and attractive visitors everywhere they went. Always gave good interviews as well, and was willing to call any situation as he saw it, which got him into trouble with the authorities on more than one occasion.

He was a real character as well, a 'bums non seats' person who fans would go to see, if only to see him get beaten. I remember him being interviewed (by Tony Butler, I believe) during the interval of the 1977 Second City Trophy at Perry Barr and it was interrupted by the famous 'Soldier Boy'. What followed was around five minutes of totally unscripted comedy gold, real interaction between a rider and a fan. We certainly don't get that today.

Whatever you think of the Grand Prix series, IMO it's churlish in the extreme not to recognise what Ole Olsen contributed to British Speedway over something like 17 seasons. That he spent eight of those seasons with Coventry is more than enough to suggest he is worthy of consideration of the title 'Mr Coventry Speedway' alongside the likes of Nigel Boocock, Ron Mountford, Les Owen, Tommy Knudsen and Chris Harris.

One final thought. At the conclusion of his Farewell Meeting, the 1983 Brandonapolis, he stood on the No1 step of the victory rostrum and delivered his final speech. After apologising to Kenny Carter for momentarily taking his place, it began to drizzle with rain. 'It isn't raining' he began, 'these are my tears at leaving British Speedway'. He then went on to thank Britian, not Denmark, because in his opinion, this country had given him all the riches, monetary and otherwise, during his career. A real character, and one such person the sport is badly missing today.

A great post Hunter Mauger/Olsen for me really put bums on seats ok not always popular but in a quiet way total respect we all knew how lucky we were to see them ride Olsen his style awesome loved him on the gas at Hyde Rd. Edited by Sidney the robin

Why? Prior to Ole signing for the Bees in 1976, they were going nowhere. Booey was gearing up for retirement, although it didn't initially last that long, and who else was there in the team to take them forward? No one, that's who.

Which is why Charles Ochiltree stared down the rest of British Speedway until he got his man. He did one of the shrewdest pieces of business in British League history when he paid an undisclosed sum of money to Hull Speedway to secure the Dane's services. Ochiltree and Olsen needed each other and they knew it. Olsen's reputation as an out and out team man and his uncanny knack of getting the best out of the most unlikely team mates turned Coventry into title contenders and attractive visitors everywhere they went. Always gave good interviews as well, and was willing to call any situation as he saw it, which got him into trouble with the authorities on more than one occasion.

He was a real character as well, a 'bums non seats' person who fans would go to see, if only to see him get beaten. I remember him being interviewed (by Tony Butler, I believe) during the interval of the 1977 Second City Trophy at Perry Barr and it was interrupted by the famous 'Soldier Boy'. What followed was around five minutes of totally unscripted comedy gold, real interaction between a rider and a fan. We certainly don't get that today.

Whatever you think of the Grand Prix series, IMO it's churlish in the extreme not to recognise what Ole Olsen contributed to British Speedway over something like 17 seasons. That he spent eight of those seasons with Coventry is more than enough to suggest he is worthy of consideration of the title 'Mr Coventry Speedway' alongside the likes of Nigel Boocock, Ron Mountford, Les Owen, Tommy Knudsen and Chris Harris.

One final thought. At the conclusion of his Farewell Meeting, the 1983 Brandonapolis, he stood on the No1 step of the victory rostrum and delivered his final speech. After apologising to Kenny Carter for momentarily taking his place, it began to drizzle with rain. 'It isn't raining' he began, 'these are my tears at leaving British Speedway'. He then went on to thank Britian, not Denmark, because in his opinion, this country had given him all the riches, monetary and otherwise, during his career. A real character, and one such person the sport is badly missing today.

I thought the Bees got Olsen from from Wolves so what's with the payment to Hull? I might be old(ish) but don't recall Hull having a team in 1976? Seem to recall them hitting the big time on securing Mauger's services about 1977 though, perhaps someone could confirm.

• Like 1

I thought the Bees got Olsen from from Wolves so what's with the payment to Hull? I might be old(ish) but don't recall Hull having a team in 1976? Seem to recall them hitting the big time on securing Mauger's services about 1977 though, perhaps someone could confirm.

Olsen was allocated to Hull (who did have a team in 76!) under the old rider control system. He refused to ride for them, insisting he wouldn't ride in Britain if he couldn't ride for the Bees. The CO ended up meeting with Ole and Ian Thomas and thrashing something out and Hull were compensated without Ole ever turning a wheel for them.

• Like 4

Olsen was allocated to Hull (who did have a team in 76!) under the old rider control system. He refused to ride for them, insisting he wouldn't ride in Britain if he couldn't ride for the Bees. The CO ended up meeting with Ole and Ian Thomas and thrashing something out and Hull were compensated without Ole ever turning a wheel for them.

never knew that, good info

To liken Olsen and Bomber in the same mould? That's beyond me. I enjoy seeing Bomber race at Coventry (most of the time) but it begins and ends there in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

Olsen - speedway LEGEND of the 70's AND early 80's.

Booey - a bloke who wore blue leathers.

I know who I would have wanted in a Hackney jacket. ;)

Olsen tells the story here: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/other-sport/speedway/2016/02/26/ole-olsen-i-nearly-quit-the-speedway-track/

Charles Ochiltree ended up paying Ian Thomas 15,000 pounds for Olsen's services, bit a farce but then so was forcing a rider to go where he clearly didn't want to be. Hull ended up signing Barry Briggs for the 1976 season, were an average once more in 1977 and signed Ivan Mauger for the Vikings from Exeter for 12,000 pounds (pound sign won't work on my keyboard) for the 1978 season. It's a fascinating story all detailed in Ian Thomas's excellent book "Wheels And Deals".

While happy with Briggos' signing in 1976, and especially Mauger in 1978 (can you tell!), I often wondered how Olsen and the Vikings would have fared had Ole ridden for Hull. Hmm....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2

To liken Olsen and Bomber in the same mould? That's beyond me. I enjoy seeing Bomber race at Coventry (most of the time) but it begins and ends there in my humble opinion.

I'm just too young to see Olsen ride but as regards Bomber the 2010 playoff final where he got up after getting ran over will always put him up there. We had the title in the bag once he sprinted off the track and then won that brilliant rerun. Personally my all time favourite Bee was Tommy Knudsen though.

• Like 1

I'm just too young to see Olsen ride but as regards Bomber the 2010 playoff final where he got up after getting ran over will always put him up there. We had the title in the bag once he sprinted off the track and then won that brilliant rerun. Personally my all time favourite Bee was Tommy Knudsen though.

I'd agree with that.

• Like 1

I'd agree with that.

Knudsen was a class act, he was so unlucky in 1986 he could of been WC but to comeback and still ride to a high level after serious back injuries was amazing.Tommy always had quite a good record against Hans, and i remember him along with Crump,Lee as the only riders who could beat Carter on merit at the shay.

think you should be more concerned about if coventry continue other than a rider.. what a shame to see a team go because of a stadium.. good luck to them finding a new home..

I am very concerned about the future of Brandon Stadium and Coventry Speedway but does that mean we cannot have a discussion on Speedway forum about riders that have had Coventry Speedway in their blood in what might be the last season at Brandon? :cry:

Correct. CO and Olsen had a verbal agreement for him to ride in the '76 season and apparently had a call from CO when Ole was in Australia asking him would he still ride for Coventry and he agreed and CO fought the case. Ole said he never forgot that gesture from CO even though he had never signed a contract.

• Like 1

And he reiterated that at the Evening with Olsen at the Cleveland Arms in Wolverhampton in February this year saying British Speedway gave him everything and it really hurts him to see it in the state it is now in.

• Like 1