British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyE

Lakeside Hammers V Leicester Lions - 27 May Elite 'b' Fixture

Bad result all round. Another nail for the EL Lions and a result that won't have the Hammers fans in any rush to return. The scores need to be close down there to maintain any kind of interest due to the racing on offer.

Fingers crossed for both.

Why isn't Dennis Jonsson replacing Kim, I thought that's what #8's were for?

I believe the concept was that the likes of Dennis could step in to replace a missing 'second string' (hence the 4 point assessed average). Kim is averaging 8.38 around Arena this year so why replace him with a 4 pointer!

[quote name="ouch" post="2788066" timestamp="1464419679"The scores need to be close down there to maintain any kind of interest due to the racing on offer.

Ok this is my first post but I have been reading the forum for years. Ouch, are you speaking as a lakeside fan here or someone who has been to Arena just a few times in your life?

Lakeside went down by about 70-20 or something at Poole a few years ago. Happens to most clubs sooner or later, but things come in cycles. Feel sorry for you guys but Lakeside also had a pretty grim year last year, losing half the home matches. It just the way things go sometimes.

That's when the track wasn't so tricky ;)

• Like 2

Bad result all round. Another nail for the EL Lions and a result that won't have the Hammers fans in any rush to return. The scores need to be close down there to maintain any kind of interest due to the racing on offer.

Scores need to be close to maintain interest due to the racing on offer? Who told you that

Feel for Leicester, tough times. As other posters have mentioned this happens to all teams, but it really is a tough situation for them. I don't see where they can turn to in order to strengthen up, which is definitely required in order to keep the remaining fans. You can't blame fans for staying away in times like this, parting with your hard earned just to see your team lose is not going to keep people coming back. Having said that Leicester have been putting in some encouraging performances at home, which from reading the Leicester threads is keeping fans happy. Hope they find some viable solutions

Good performance from the Hammers tonight. Some encouraging performances, mention to Eddie with a good score on his return

Wolves up next, this will be the real test

Lions certainly looked a weak outfit but something that has to be mentioned is the determnation of the Hammers to win every race no matter what. And you couldn't find a better example than AJ hitting the fence and dropping to the back then coming through to 2nd.

Also throw in the fact that Edward Kennett wanted to prove his value to the team and Richard Lawson came back to form and it looked like Leicester came on the wrong night.

Louis B is getting there and so is Lewis K and having seen LK at Peterboro it looks as though he can cope with both types of track.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me if Jawas are more difficult to sort/ride than GMs because AFAIK these two are a rarity. Are they works supported?

Crowd was down but plenty of good racing by the Hammers, I know Lions are not a huge draw but as some will no doubt stay away next Wednesday when the telly is in I though more would have taken the opportunity to come out and support the club.

Tonight is a new low. Had enough !!

Teams have good and bad times.My club B/vue had an 8 year bad run where 4th from bottom was our best finish and we collected 3 wooden spoons.Most of the fans stuck by the club and in part because they did we now have a decent team and a new stadium to ride in.In time things can only get better.So give it time and stand by your club its times like these that they need the fans more than ever.

• Like 3

Crowd was down but plenty of good racing by the Hammers, I know Lions are not a huge draw but as some will no doubt stay away next Wednesday when the telly is in I though more would have taken the opportunity to come out and support the club.

Several factors could have contributed. Poor opposition, people going away for the weekend, prospect of being anywhere near the Dartford Crossing/tunnel prior to a bank holiday weekend - there was yet again a problem for those travelling from Kent. With school half-term next week and the quality of the opposition there could be more attending Wednesday than you think.

Edited by tocha

Louis B is getting there and so is Lewis K and having seen LK at Peterboro it looks as though he can cope with both types of track.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me if Jawas are more difficult to sort/ride than GMs because AFAIK these two are a rarity. Are they works supported?

I am not in the know but my understanding is that Jawas are (or at least we're) faster but more difficult to set up right. If you remember in the early part of the season Lewis Kerr was falling off quite a lot, almost always on apex of the bend. Lewis Bridger said then that the Jawa engine rather than the rider was the cause of those falls. However the Revolution Team seem to have sorted that out and both riders are much smoother on their bikes now.

I believe Revolution Speedwáy are the Jawa importers. They are certainly a very professional outfit.

I am not in the know but my understanding is that Jawas are (or at least we're) faster but more difficult to set up right. If you remember in the early part of the season Lewis Kerr was falling off quite a lot, almost always on apex of the bend. Lewis Bridger said then that the Jawa engine rather than the rider was the cause of those falls. However the Revolution Team seem to have sorted that out and both riders are much smoother on their bikes now.

I believe Revolution Speedwáy are the Jawa importers. They are certainly a very professional outfit.

Thanks that explains a lot. It would certainly help if spectators knew that it's not always the rider's fault especially someone as as controvesial as Bridger who attracts all sorts of comments. He rode well all night but had a "moment! on turn 4 that almost caught him out

Be fair , leicester looked dreadful pre season, theyve snuck a win or 3.

I dont really think the promotion want to be in the top league

I believe the concept was that the likes of Dennis could step in to replace a missing 'second string' (hence the 4 point assessed average). Kim is averaging 8.38 around Arena this year so why replace him with a 4 pointer!

The #8 can step in to replace any rider from 2 to 5 I believe, and as you say, Dennis' average is assessed, so he could well outscore that. He needs to gain experience to aid his own development, and to benefit the club in the future.

Kim's average around Lakeside is irrelevant really as the meeting in question was at Leicester. Kim's average at that track in 2016 is 11.00, so whoever replaces him will have a tough job on their hands, but I believe that for the reasons already stated and one less use of the guest rule, this is the way Lakeside should have gone.

OK -maybe I should not have used the word 'concept' - likelihood would have been more appropriate. There was discussion on at least one forum concerning his use in the

home meeting instead of R/R.

You cannot blame a team for maximising their chances of success - it has been done to the Hammers on numerous occasions.