British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue V Coventry 30th May, 2016

It's not the turnstiles at all, they are fine scan your ticket and walk in. It's the ticket office that is slow, people buying tickets in advance will reduce the queues at ticket office.

The problem is people buying a specific seat in the stand, rather just a seat. When I went the other night, people were taking 5 minutes to buy a ticket as they argued and thought about where they wanted to sit. That compares with 20 seconds buying a standing one for the South Stand.

5 minutes might not seem much but when you have 1,000 people buying tickets you will have problems and until it changes to buying just a seat (rather than a specific one) those problems will continue.

I don't get this complaining about queues to get in. Over the years every track I have been to has queues when they have a bigger than normal crowd. In the end the delay was less than 20 minutes to the start of the meeting. Once people get used to getting their tickets in advance any delays will be less. Every event I have been to, theatre, concerts etc. ,where I have bought tickets in advance I have paid a booking fee and usually more than £1. As I understand it this extra charge goes to the agency, not Belle Vue.

Anyway, to important issues. Anybody who thinks they didn't get value for their entrance money today doesn't like speedway. Fast, close racing with passing in most races, a meeting as good as any league match I've seen for many years. Congratulations to both teams on providing some excellent entertainment.

If memory serves me correctly, both Edinburgh and Newcastle give a discount when tickets are purchased in advance.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I have to say that was an excellent meeting. Most riders made a pass at some point, Nicholls-Bomber heat could've gne either way but Nicholls just always managed to get the outside run. Thought KK was going to get Zagar on the line in heat 15 and Garrity looked very good round there after his first ride, made some excellent passes. Overall Belle Vue deserved the win but that poor start really cost us. How Worrall got away with that start in heat 2 I have no idea.

As for the stadium, very good. Obviously issues with ticketing but I'd advise get them printed the £1 extra will be worth it. Perhaps will need more kiosks behind the back straight when the world cup is on though! Oh and nowhere to dry your hands in the toilets which is a bit shoddy.

If it isnt a sellout why on earth waste time asking people where they want to sit? Its an unwarranted delay for fans entering the stadium.

Let peole sit where they want. Early birds get the best seats

• Like 3

I will be attending many Belle Vue meetings this year but I've no intention of buying tickets in advance.

I live in Yorkshire and the prospect of getting snarled up on the M62/60 and being late or not able to get there at all, is something that is going to happen at some time.

I wouldn't take the risk.

I'm looking at the bigger picture and only outscoring an edr isn't very good, maybe I expected too much.

I think we need riders outscoring Zagar not Jacobs in the world cup but I suppose he's good enough for Coventry.

Hopefully he'll do better in the British final.

After touching the tapes he dropped 2 points and he was leading one of them until the referee called it back - from memory the only heat he did call back for a jumped start.

As a Bees fans I was more than happy with his contribution today. And I also don't really expect him to be in contention for the SWC team either. More worryingly was Harris and how truly abysmal he was until KK babysat him in heat 13

The problem is people buying a specific seat in the stand, rather just a seat. When I went the other night, people were taking 5 minutes to buy a ticket as they argued and thought about where they wanted to sit. That compares with 20 seconds buying a standing one for the South Stand.

5 minutes might not seem much but when you have 1,000 people buying tickets you will have problems and until it changes to buying just a seat (rather than a specific one) those problems will continue.

If memory serves me correctly, both Edinburgh and Newcastle give a discount when tickets are purchased in advance.

I agree, they should make it you can only pick a seat upto say 30-45 mins before start time and then after then seat are just allocated.

If it isnt a sellout why on earth waste time asking people where they want to sit? Its an unwarranted delay for fans entering the stadium.

This is the 21st century, not wooden benches,

I will be attending many Belle Vue meetings this year but I've no intention of buying tickets in advance.

I live in Yorkshire and the prospect of getting snarled up on the M62/60 and being late or not able to get there at all, is something that is going to happen at some time.

I wouldn't take the risk.

Nobody is forcing you to, the option is there to buy on the day,

Edited by Rob B

A few more observations in addition to the above. Kacper Woryna, what a brave young man to even turn up and ride and I don't think a single person would have blamed him if he'd taken a few weeks off.

Ash Morris, in the past I've said he's a bit of a crap kerb crawler but I wasnhugely impressed today. Rode with 100% effort and made a right nuisance of himself. I'd happily watch him in a Bees jacket again soon. Scored 2+1 more than I expected and be no doubt hat had his bike lasted the 4 laps in heat 14 he'd have got another point.

The referee was rubbish. Called Garrity back for jumping, didn't call Sarj back for jumping, yet with Worrall didn't call one back and incorrectly excluded him in another!

And how exciting was Richie Worrall?!

Edited by SCB

Nonsense, this is a modern venue which should bring speedway into the modern world, you should be able to pick your seat, if i pre pay on my laptop i want to guarentee my seat, not have to turn up hours before just to get where i want. Speedway fans need to get with it not the other way around.

• Like 2

Just back home from today's awesome belle vue v Coventry meeting. And what a fantastic hard fought victory that was. Both teams gave 110% resulting in some of the best racing around. And this after just 2 EL meetings. A massive well done to those who designed the track. The world cup is going to be fantastic. It was also my first experience out of the grandstand as I got myself a West terrace ticket today (1st bend) and I shan't be moving anytime soon. What a place to watch your speedway. Oh and BTW all you moaning at big queues. That is the norm on a bank holiday meeting. Was the same at the dog track. Swindon and Poole today was also delayed. The racing was superb. Belle vue won and that is all that matters surely. I had a great day. But very sun burnt some how.

Great to see the riders being able to show us their immense skill and bravery on a big track with plenty of room.

Such a different sport to when they are tripping over each other on tight fiddly tracks.

Some of the races today really put a smile on your face and reminded you why you are a speedway fan!

Extremely jealous of Aces fans who can watch this every week.

• Like 2

Steve broke the tapes?

Well done. 10/10 for observation. It's about as relevant to my post as what you had for tea.

A few more observations in addition to the above. Kacper Woryna, what a brave young man to even turn up and ride and I don't think a single person would have blamed him if he'd taken a few weeks off.

Ash Morris, in the past I've said he's a bit of a crap kerb crawler but I wasnhugely impressed today. Rode with 100% effort and made a right nuisance of himself. I'd happily watch him in a Bees jacket again soon. Scored 2+1 more than I expected and be no doubt hat had his bike lasted the 4 laps in heat 14 he'd have got another point.

The referee was rubbish. Called Garrity back for jumping, didn't call Sarj back for jumping, yet with Worrall didn't call one back and incorrectly excluded him in another!

And how exciting was Richie Worrall?!

Nice to see you changed opinion of ash he knows his faults and works hard to change things.

Good to see so many + points today from all the meetings today ....dare I say it one of the best days for the El in a long time .

• Like 2

It's not the turnstiles at all, they are fine scan your ticket and walk in. It's the ticket office that is slow, people buying tickets in advance will reduce the queues at ticket office.

It is the turnstiles that's where the queues were. the tickets don`t scan that easy and nobody knows how to do it PLUS the security people are looking in bags which holds things up..What difference does it make where you buy your tickets if when you get to the turnstiles theres a big queue as there was today... Edited by dornier

Nice to see you changed opinion of ash he knows his faults and works hard to change things.

Id like to think I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. And when it's a young British rider doing well and making me wrong I love it!