British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue V Coventry 30th May, 2016

Those that pay at the box office should just be allocated seats, not asked to pick one. That's just a ridiculous process.

That way, if they're unhappy with their allocated seat maybe next time they'll choose their own online instead.

Sensible approach..

Either choose your ticket pre meeting on line or over the phone or take 'pot luck' (like at a cinema)....

The Aces are trying to bring the sport into the 21st Century using its ticketing system however this will I would suggest take time as some many fans are used to just rocking up and paying at the gate when attending the sport (even at National finals)..

And for many of the Speedway Fan demographic, 'cash is still king' so some work needs to be done to influence their chosen method of payment (maybe a discount for pre booking would help?)

Planning to have just three ticket booths open was a bit embarrassing as with a big crowd expected (and delivered) processing circa 900 people per booth was always going to take an inordinate amount of time. Processing three people per minute, and that is going some, would still take 300 mins per booth to get the 900 through, (five hours of actual time!)..

They did react by opening extra areas where you could pay so they will know the issues and respond accordingly I am sure.

Maybe also the fans will now react by pre booking more...?

All in all though, what a great day at the Speedway..

A massive crowd for a League match, with plenty of away fans to add to the atmosphere, good weather, a well maintained racetrack and a match that delivered a close scoreline and several 'worth the admission fee alone' races...

Not said that for a long, long time....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Regarding Garrity for the World Cup, surely Lambert is ahead of him.

If the reserve spot was open to anyone and not just under 21 riders then Garrity might have been in contention after what I saw yesterday. He was flying round there. Think there is too many in front of him at the moment. Oh and by the way I can see Lambert loving Belle Vue.

• Like 1

If the reserve spot was open to anyone and not just under 21 riders then Garrity might have been in contention after what I saw yesterday. He was flying round there. Think there is too many in front of him at the moment. Oh and by the way I can see Lambert loving Belle Vue.

In which case the prospective UK team riders need to get up there and practice.

• Like 2

For Gods sake you haven't a clue! That was not a big queue, it took at the most a couple of minutes to get through!

This was THE queue, for the ticket office, the turnstiles are at other end of the building behind the photo.

http://tinyurl.com/httj7xu

Can`t argue with that Rob. I was basing my opinion from looking from the inside of the Grandstand through the turnstiles. I admit you`re right please accept my apology.
  • Like 1

In which case the prospective UK team riders need to get up there and practice.

Very true. Rosco hopefully will speak to Belle Vue about practice sessions. It's great having it on home shale but if our riders haven't been on the track much then there is no home advantage.

Those that pay at the box office should just be allocated seats, not asked to pick one. That's just a ridiculous process.

That way, if they're unhappy with their allocated seat maybe next time they'll choose their own online instead.

Now this post is a bit more like it. I think your spot on with this idea. I think buying from box office on the day of meeting then yes you get given a seat, but if you go box office none meeting days or buy online you can choose your seat. Maybe even say the last 2 hours before a meeting you cant choose your seat.

Very true. Rosco hopefully will speak to Belle Vue about practice sessions. It's great having it on home shale but if our riders haven't been on the track much then there is no home advantage.

He spoke to belle vue when Swindon were up there and they agreed the practice. The crowd will also make it home advantage as it does motivate the riders. The track is like a polish track so our riders really need fast engines and some decent practice

• Like 1

Ffs!

My 'tea' comment was about you saying no warning was given, there doesn't have to be a warning does there and even if there was a warning it doesn't need to be announced so how would you know? I'm not going to take the piss out of you for not knowing that though.

I incorrectly assumed breaking the tapes with 'anything' resulted in an exclusion, it obviously does mention breaking the breaking the tapes by the way but I'm not going to take the piss out of you for not knowing that either.

Between me, you and the ref I reckon the one with the smartass comments has got the most things wrong and that doesn't even include your original claim that he was incorrectly excluded, excluded? It called disqualified now but I won't take the piss out of you for not knowing that either, lol!

You stated he broke the tapes (which he did) and I pointed out it had as much relevance as what you had for tea.

A rider can be excluded for one of two things. 1. His bike touches the tapes, if that happens he starts from 15 or is replaced by a reserve. Or a rider is excluded for delaying the start by moving/jumping/rolling but no replacement is allowed. Worralls bike didn't touch the tapes, his helmet did so thats no exclusion and if the referee excluded him for jumping/rolling/moving (which he could have done) then no replacement was allowed.

As for you sarcy comment about breaking tapes, heres what the rules state,

15.3. A Starting offence is committed where if a rider’s motorcycle touches or breaks the tapes while the Green Starting Light is on and also when a rider fails to comply with Art.15.2.2 (returning into the Pits) or Art.15.2.5(exceeding the 2-minute allowance),

His BIKE has to break the tapes, they didn't it was a his helmet. Same as heat 2 when he wasn't excluded (sorry, disqualified)

You're right about excluded/disqualified. Slap my wrists!

Edited by SCB

When it comes to sarcasm I think we can both agree on this one, we're both liberal users of it! :D Its what makes our chats on here so much fun :P

I'm still not seeing the relevance that he "broke the tapes", it doesn't matter if he broke them or touched them, its all the same thing in the rulebook. The rule, basically say if you touch (or break) the tapes with your bike you're excluded but touch (or break) them with anything else and you're not excluded for it.

Now interestingly, your understanding with 15.3.1 being a sub of 15.3 was my reading too but I got outargued and gave up. I am only too happy to concede that you're right on that one. It's a terribly worded rule anyway even alloing for the fact it's an, IMO (and seemingly yours) sub rule too. See we can agree? If thats the argument then I take back my initial statement that the referee was was wrong yesterday, then I change it to just harsh and inconsistent in excluded Steve after he had given him the green light to do it in heat 2 only to then exclude him for it in heat 4!

If it isnt a sellout why on earth waste time asking people where they want to sit? Its an unwarranted delay for fans entering the stadium.

Let peole sit where they want. Early birds get the best seats

Although I agree with you, if you buy a ticket online and can select a seat then this won't work, unless they have to go around sticking 'Reserved' on the seats already taken - I don't know if you can select a seat online?

Yes you can select a seat online.I tried this for a recent Colts match just to see if the system worked and whether I could do it easily on my home computer.I wanted block C in the main grandstand so clicked on this on the stadium map.As I wanted two tickets I was offered 2 on row J which were next to each other so I accepted them.The people who have season tickets will obviously have their own seats allocated so it does limit your choice but the view from anywhere in the grandstand is superb.If you want cheaper tickets then the south stand(back straight) or first bend have equally great viewing so it depends how much you want to pay.I will definitely use the print at home option again its just like others have said a bit annoying paying an extra quid a ticket.

How sad to see so much discussion on here about what are no more than inevitable teething problems. I've also seen people moaning about a less than 5 minute walk from the ticket office to the southern terrace and bag searches. It's h&s and what would the comments be if, God forbid, something terrible did happen and no searches had been made.

By far more important for the club and the sport is that yesterday I and many others were privileged to watch one of the best league meetings I have seen since the demise of Hyde Road. I don't expect every match to be like that, it wasn't at Hyde Road but what it showed is that the new track is capable of producing such a high standard of racing. Much credit goes to Chris Morton and David Gordon for the design of the track but huge credit also to Colin Meredith and his crew for producing such a brilliant race track yesterday in notoriously difficult conditions, a mid day meeting in hot sunshine.

I hope the British Final is as good to watch. It may not be because of the wide standard of riders taking part but hopefully, it will be a memorable meeting, so long as Sky leave the track preparation to those who know what they're doing.

• Like 1

How sad to see so much discussion on here about what are no more than inevitable teething problems. I've also seen people moaning about a less than 5 minute walk from the ticket office to the southern terrace.

With respect, I hope that comment is not aimed at me. I wasn't moaning about the walk at all - or the time or distance it took. What I did find annoying was that, having purchased my ticket, I had no idea where to go and I felt that some signposting was in order. I was then given directions from a steward which, according to 'Superace' was incorrect. If people are wondering around not knowing where to go (and I was not the only one) and then stewards give out information which is not correct then something is not right.

It's constructive criticism, not moaning. All they need to do is improve signposting a little or perhaps put more detailed directions on the back of the ticket.

• Like 1

Although I agree with you, if you buy a ticket online and can select a seat then this won't work, unless they have to go around sticking 'Reserved' on the seats already taken - I don't know if you can select a seat online?

When you buy online you buy for a section. So when you get there you sit anywhere in that section. Sorted. Only in big events is there a need for allocated seats.

By the way was the grandstand totally full yesterday?

There appear to be a lot of seats between the fourth bend and the tapes not allocated. Particularly in the furthest block from the start/finish.

Maybe these can be issued as unreserved seating to 'pay on the day' punters, allowing larger groups the opportunity to sit together without a problem.

A separate queue, or perhaps a kiosk at the back straight turnstiles for standing patrons, would then see the whole entry process moving along much more quickly.

Is this possible?

On a happier note, what a fine meeting, the best I can remember in years. It had been a little processional in the two meetings I'd seen so far, so it's a big relief to see what can be served up on our new track. Let's hope this will be closer to the norm rather than the earlier meets (I have seen worse than them though in the past)

There were so many great races with multiple passing manoeuvres it's hard to recall them all

For what it's worth I thought Garrity was pretty good. I know he is a bit wild sometimes, but I can't help liking his attitude. He shows some real balls and will to win and no little skill on a bike.

Anyway, that is what Speedway can and should look like. I can't imagine anybody there yesterday, walked away saying "I'm not going there again"

It was good to hear the roar of a crowd again at some of the things going on out there. I was buzzing all afternoon at work at what we saw.

More of the same please.

• Like 1

How sad to see so much discussion on here about what are no more than inevitable teething problems. I've also seen people moaning about a less than 5 minute walk from the ticket office to the southern terrace and bag searches. It's h&s and what would the comments be if, God forbid, something terrible did happen and no searches had been made.

By far more important for the club and the sport is that yesterday I and many others were privileged to watch one of the best league meetings I have seen since the demise of Hyde Road. I don't expect every match to be like that, it wasn't at Hyde Road but what it showed is that the new track is capable of producing such a high standard of racing. Much credit goes to Chris Morton and David Gordon for the design of the track but huge credit also to Colin Meredith and his crew for producing such a brilliant race track yesterday in notoriously difficult conditions, a mid day meeting in hot sunshine.

I hope the British Final is as good to watch. It may not be because of the wide standard of riders taking part but hopefully, it will be a memorable meeting, so long as Sky leave the track preparation to those who know what they're doing.

The thing is I don't think the queues outside will be a teething problem and will be more like a permanent fixture unless the method of sale is changed. What the answer to that is I am not so sure but the present system can't stay in place.

I went to 4 meetings this weekend - at Isle of Wight, Plymouth, Eastbourne & Kent and didn't see a single bag search. In fact, I am reasonably sure it hasn't happened at any of the 20 or so tracks I have been to this season (to be honest, I don't take a bag in).

If that's the case, why is it a H&S issue at Belle Vue but nowhere else ?

I have to say, though, that I regard both the above as pretty minor in the whole scheme of things especially when it is clear that the track is proving to be just as good as it looks.

With respect, I hope that comment is not aimed at me. I wasn't moaning about the walk at all - or the time or distance it took. What I did find annoying was that, having purchased my ticket, I had no idea where to go and I felt that some signposting was in order. I was then given directions from a steward which, according to 'Superace' was incorrect. If people are wondering around not knowing where to go (and I was not the only one) and then stewards give out information which is not correct then something is not right.

It's constructive criticism, not moaning. All they need to do is improve signposting a little or perhaps put more detailed directions on the back of the ticket.

I had the same problem against Swindon so what you are saying is (as usual) perfectly reasonable. To be fair to Belle Vue, on that score I think things will improve.