British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Threat To The Elite League

Is the security of the Elite League genuinely under threat.

Coventry & Swindon's situations look bleak for their whole future's and now the shinanigans at Leicester.

Are we at the end of the Elite League? I believe so

Yes please.

Maybe, but not under the circumstances anyone wanted. A genuine that to the closure of 3 clubs at the end of the same season.

Disaster IMO

• Like 2

Without new teams and why would they anyway i see it going soon..One big Premier with north and south sections would be the way to go financially

• Like 1

Is the security of the Elite League genuinely under threat.

Coventry & Swindon's situations look bleak for their whole future's and now the shinanigans at Leicester.

I do think the EL could be on its last legs and I would not object to a larger PL, but can anyone see any common sense coming from the promoters or would the promoters of the current EL clubs cause chaos in any new organisation.

Do not discount Swindons future yet.

• Like 2

The 'end of the EL' has been going on for at least 7 years now! But the promoters won't give up on it til there is 0% chance of it continuing.

• Like 1

Certainly looks pretty bleak. I think Swindon will be up and running but Coventry are in trouble, Leicester have been dragged in to the mire and if memory serves nothing is concrete for Lakeside next year.

Obviously there are ambitious clubs that might be offered incentives to step up? Rye House, Kent and Ipswich?

At least if Ipswich move up Starman can't banish Gavan to the PL threads!! Lol :D

Would have to be big incentives to move up, Rye House being the most likely candidate at the moment.

1 large PL would worry me. Personally I would be fine with it. I love the PL racing.

But there are alot of people I know and see on social media etc that are EL snobs.

The EL clubs fans will half at most.

• Like 2

It needs two divisons of 10 teams each, with 2 or 3 up and 2 or 3 down promotion/relegation. Low team points limits. Scrap the FDR system, maybe have 6-man teams.

Top 5 in each dvision have playoffs. Bottom 5 in Division 1 have relegation playoffs. Bottom 5 in Div 2 have playoffs for one-off playoff v winners of NL, with possible promotion/relegation at stake.

Why?

Swindon will carry on at the Abbey, Glasgow are keen to move up whilst Ipswich have said they would step back up when it suits them.

The sport needs a top flight of racing , without it the sport is as good as dead.

Interesting interview on BBC Radio Solent this morning with Matt Ford wishing for more fixtures next season - either from an expanded EL and/or a second competition. Fans to be polled for their opinions and views to be put to the BSPA AGM in October/November!!

• Like 1

Why?

Swindon will carry on at the Abbey, Glasgow are keen to move up whilst Ipswich have said they would step back up when it suits them.

The sport needs a top flight of racing , without it the sport is as good as dead.

I agree we need the top flight otherwise how do we get good British riders? We need Lambert getting tips from NKI for example and Adam Ellis getting them from Holder and Andersen. Not in a million years will the Elite League close due to two things Matt Ford and Belle Vue new stadium. As a Poole fan, Matt Ford is not going to want Brady Kurtz as his number 1 in the Premier League. Until the richest and biggest club says so well its never going to happen. Maybe, Coventry go but can see Ipswich and Glasgow coming up and Rye House then a league of 10 again which would mean more fixtures which everyone wants. I like seeing Holder, Doyle, Zagar, AJ, NKI, KK and Fast Freddie ride here they will never ride again unless we don't have the EL. Just need a fixed race night and then all of a sudden it will get better. Just for example all it needs is Dudek and Magic to go to Poole which could happen then Holder to Swindon and Doyle to the Lions and the league can get better. Just need Poole, Belle Vue, Swindon and King's Lynn to get better riders and then it will trickle down.

• Like 2

I remember that, when there was talk of Leicester moving up to the Elite League, someone came on here and said 'be careful what you wish for'. Never been a truer saying and worth repeating! I watch speedway in both the Elite and Premier League and much prefer the latter!

Edited by Happy Hunter

I remember that, when there was talk of Leicester moving up to the Elite League, someone came on here and said 'be careful what you wish for'. Never been a truer saying and worth repeating! I watch speedway in both the Elite and Premier League and much prefer the latter!

As do I.

Absolutely miss the PL at King's Lynn