British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Fundin Olsen Nielsen Would They Have All Won More World Title's If There Had Been A Gp Series Around.?

Fundin,Olsen,Nielsen could they have won more world titles if there had been a Gp Series around.?Fundin i hate to say it because he was a great rival of Briggo would of done Olsen could of done in my view as well.Hans well no exaggeration he could of won 6/8 world titles in my book interesting looking back at Nielsen's career how many he could of won.

Yes. No. Yes. I just don't see where Olsens extra titles would have come from. In the 70s you have possibly 2 extra titles up for grabs (Michanek and sckaziels) with mauger, Olsen and in later years Lee and Collins competing for them. I think Lee would have won in 79 and Collins in 77, meaning for Olsen to win more mauger would have won less.

• Like 1

Hans Nielsen would have dominated much of the eighties in my opinion. Winning in 1983 thru' to 1989 and perhaps beyond!

Hans was best rider in the world 83-89, but Eric had the ability to raise his game for the big meetings. He would have done the same under the gp system and while I doubt he would have won 3 titles I'm sure he would have won at least one.

The early90s is where it gets interesting, could hans have retained his dominance in that format or would the likes of Jan o jonsson and ermolenko still won titles?

Yes. No. Yes. I just don't see where Olsens extra titles would have come from. In the 70s you have possibly 2 extra titles up for grabs (Michanek and sckaziels) with mauger, Olsen and in later years Lee and Collins competing for them. I think Lee would have won in 79 and Collins in 77, meaning for Olsen to win more mauger would have won less.

Think Olsen could of won titles in 72 and 77 Collins was unlucky in 77 was Collins best year 76?

Hans Nielsen would have dominated much of the eighties in my opinion. Winning in 1983 thru' to 1989 and perhaps beyond!

Think 83 over a series would of been well open Carter,Lee,Sigalos,Nielsen,Gundersen,Sanders all riding well 84 onwards Hans certainly.

Think Olsen could of won titles in 72 and 77 Collins was unlucky in 77 was Collins best year 76?

But Ivan would have probably won in '71 and '75. Mauger was the major force until 1975.

The only 'definite' year for Olsen would have been 1978.

All the best

Rob

If workload ever eases hope to produce rankings for the 70s. But I think Collins best season was 77. Olsen maybe champ only 75 &78?

If workload ever eases hope to produce rankings for the 70s. But I think Collins best season was 77. Olsen maybe champ only 75 &78?

1971 i think Olsen always keeps for me 71-75 were Olsen's best years.Mauger i think in 68/69/70 he would of been mighty hard to beat.

But Ivan would have probably won in '71 and '75. Mauger was the major force until 1975.

The only 'definite' year for Olsen would have been 1978.

All the best

Rob

I believe Olsen over those years would of been a mega threat to Ivan. Mauger for me on one off meetings generally his record is superb what a rider what a temperament. Mauger was never a mile clear of his rivals from 73 onwards in my opinion still riding at a great level though but Michanek and Ole were on par with him easily in 74/75. Edited by Sidney the robin

Ove Fundin is an interesting one. I think he could well have won every year from 1956 to 1963, though Briggo would have been a good bet maybe for 1958. Similarly Peter Craven for 1962. He would almost certainly not have won in 1967. So he actually won five, but could have won eight on the trot, though two doubtful, making six more likely, so, yes, one more than he did win at least.

Ove Fundin is an interesting one. I think he could well have won every year from 1956 to 1963, though Briggo would have been a good bet maybe for 1958. Similarly Peter Craven for 1962. He would almost certainly not have won in 1967. So he actually won five, but could have won eight on the trot, though two doubtful, making six more likely, so, yes, one more than he did win at least.

What year "Norbold" did you think that Ove was unlucky in and it maybe slipped away from him?1972 was Briggos year Olsen also was unlucky that year. Edited by Sidney the robin

Fundin would have also been a contender in 1955 - he started scoring good points the moment that he was allowed to sign for Norwich, registered an average over 10.00 on tracks he didn't know, and finished on double figures in the World Final.

Moore & Young would have been favourites for 1955, but Fundin and Briggs would have featured too.

And I think it might have been a clean sweep from 1956 to 1963 for Fundin. Briggo was going well in 1958, but as well as Fundin? That's the year that Ove scored a 11.60 NL average. Briggo was flying at the time of the World Final in September, but Fundin was more consistent across the whole season.

All the best

Rob

I do agree with you really, Rob, that Ove would most likely have made a clean sweep of it from 1956 - 1963; it;s just that it seems such a statistical unlikelihood that I threw in a couple of years where he might not have won it! I started going to speedway in 1960 and my memory of the early 60s is that Ove was so dominant you expected him to win everything - though of course he didn't! But over a season.... If he was like that from 1956-59, which statistics and memories seem to show he was, then 1956-63 it is.

There is one other rider to mention in the latter part of this period though and that is Bjorn Knutson. He was notorious for being nervous on World Final night; maybe over a season he might have done better? Certainly I think he could have won the World Title in 1964 in a Grand Prix style event, thereby removing one of Briggo's titles.

I also agree that 1955 was most likely to have been Moore or Young.

• Like 1

Silly topic really as different times always have different circumstances and will always create arguments and controversy.

Who never won a GP but became World Champion?

Who should have won the Individual One off World Final but was not allowed to compete?

Who never won a GP but became World Champion?

Lionel Van Praag never won a GP but became World Champion.
  • Like 2