British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

Irrespective of what league the paying public want weekly speedway not 3 and 4 week gaps before a home meeting

FULLY agree with that. Been my argument for a long time now. Once fans get out of the routine of going many stop going all together.

• Like 3

What makes me laugh is how the fans moan about rules and regulations etc and yet if you were to put some of them in a room for the weekend and come up with a better system we would still be in the same boat. Nothing would change because there are too many opinions. Speedway has been steadily in decline for so long and there are many reasons for it. Most of which are unchangeable. It just needs some common sense put back into it all. But there is not one person who can satisfy everyone. I sometimes come across reports in the Speedway Star from the 70's and 80's of the same stuff we read about today as regards the state of the sport etc. Absolutely nothing has changed. People are less submissive now and less tolerant, have more choice in entertainment so choose to do other things. People are simply not getting money or even entertainment satisfaction out of speedway unless you are a long die-hard fan (like myself I might add) and keep going no matter what. People want instant success and have an attitude like "oh I ain't going if we don't win". I have witnessed Poole through years and years of thrilling speedway with no success and am now fortunate to have had a part in a successful club. You can't blame Matt for his ideas. It's not for the sake of Poole it's for everyone's sake. We all want better and fair rules. More clubs with more meetings and a better class of riders in the top league for example. This EL is just the pits. If anyone has gotten this far in reading this tripe then we'll done.

I'll get me coat......

• Like 2

Read the thread

Ive not blamed Matt Ford for having ideas

Ive not blamed Matt Ford for the fact it hugely favours Poole

What im saying is that his proposal of a squad system has no chance of working

Read the thread

Ive not blamed Matt Ford for having ideas

Ive not blamed Matt Ford for the fact it hugely favours Poole

What im saying is that his proposal of a squad system has no chance of working

If this proposal was put forward by anyone else you would be saying different as your hatred of Matt Ford, your words, clouds any judgement from you.

Why the hell does it favour Poole? Any club can sign riders. People want weekly speedway. They want EL not PL speedway. This way top riders can ride over here.

Squads definately in for 2017 no doubt at all. 4 extra clubs coming up and.p add Cup comp and we will be back to weekly speedway with quality riders.

Awaiting ideas from other promotions but most have their heads in the sand so wont get excited.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Belle Vue programmed 20 Elite standard meetings this year (21 if we make the final) and have always championed PL teams to move up as we are out on a limb EL wise. Squads have been talked about for a long time. Nothing new here but it's still good to see a promoter canvass local opinion to gauged the potential impact to his business.

If this proposal was put forward by anyone else you would be saying different as your hatred of Matt Ford, your words, clouds any judgement from you.

Why the hell does it favour Poole? Any club can sign riders. People want weekly speedway. They want EL not PL speedway. This way top riders can ride over here.

Squads definately in for 2017 no doubt at all. 4 extra clubs coming up and.p add Cup comp and we will be back to weekly speedway with quality riders.

Awaiting ideas from other promotions but most have their heads in the sand so wont get excited.

so your saying it doesn't favour the side with the biggest asset base and the most money then! Oh and if you read the thread I praised Ford for having the idea!!!! If you don't think Poole are in the best place to have a squad then your a tad delusional. And I'm not the only one to say it so while your at it have a pop at the others!
  • Like 1

some people make the mistake of thinking that the superstars bring in the crowds its not its having a competitive team and being in with a genuine chance of winning the league

(re: leicester city)

Leicester's crowds were no different from the first home game of the season to the last.

What an awful comparison.

so your saying it doesn't favour the side with the biggest asset base and the most money then! Oh and if you read the thread I praised Ford for having the idea!!!! If you don't think Poole are in the best place to have a squad then your a tad delusional. And I'm not the only one to say it so while your at it have a pop at the others!

But there will still be a points limit in some shape or form. We cant go with a team of Holder, Janowski, Lindback, Andersen, Buckowski, Newman and Ellis. Ridrs would be graded so that if a frade one rider is out he can only be replaced by one of a similar grade.

There are many riders out there now who are not attached to British clubs. Clubs should be looking right now at forming their squads for next season.

But there will still be a points limit in some shape or form. We cant go with a team of Holder, Janowski, Lindback, Andersen, Buckowski, Newman and Ellis. Ridrs would be graded so that if a frade one rider is out he can only be replaced by one of a similar grade.

There are many riders out there now who are not attached to British clubs. Clubs should be looking right now at forming their squads for next season.

They'll have to move smartly then as Matt's already left 'em far behind!! :D:wink:

They'll have to move smartly then as Matt's already left 'em far behind!! :D:wink:

Yes he has got 100 riders signed up already :mad:

If you want a large top league , say 16 - 19 , with a KO Cup as in the old days then it can only be done by a dilution of the standard of teams compared with the Elite league now . There is not the number of available riders to have squads in an enlarged league.

The British League as formed in 1965 from a small top league ( the National league ) and a larger second tier ( Provincial League ) was the beginnings of a resurgence in the number of Speedway tracks over the next few years..

However that probably would not fit in with Poole's thoughts

Ford possibly spooked by Belle Vue's current resurgance and reputation their track is gaining, Poole's lacklustre start and GP boy Chris Holder publically trashing Wimbourne road....

Do away with the asset system then go from there .....

• Like 1

so your saying it doesn't favour the side with the biggest asset base and the most money then!

There used to be a limit on how many assets a club could have, is that still the case?

There used to be a limit on how many assets a club could have, is that still the case?

I thought that EL clubs had to have an asset base of a certain value to cover loses if they went went bust , not sure about numbers though

Do away with the asset system then go from there .....

Asset system has been pointless for years anyway

Where's the 4 extra clubs coming from ? there's a few clubs in the EL who's futures look uncertain at the moment cant see any PL clubs looking to take the plunge