British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

Do the top riders have time to ride in the UK even with a fixed race night? The additional costs of a squad such as air fares, transport from and to UK airports, not always having their best equipment in the UK, the unreliable weather leading to frequent postponements and as has been mentioned already, the lack of interaction with the supporters means that it is getting further a further from the sport most knew. Just look at the gap in the fixture lists currently for what is suppose to be a summer sport. Supporters are getting out of the habit of going and bringing top riders in on an infrequent basis is unlikely to reverse the trend. It has all been said before that a radical rethink is needed but with most promoters having their heads in the sand and unable see the real state that things are in, it will plod along as is with the number of clubs falling by the wayside for one reason or another and gradually increasing to the point where perhaps just a handful of tracks survive. Does anyone really have an answer that will be acceptable to all, I do not believe a consensus will ever be reached.

• Like 1

Glasgow could afford it but why would they bother?? They have so many local derbies why would they want to go to Poole or Lakeside instead?? Financial suicide.

Its been well mentioned that Ipswich are wanting to come back, personally i much prefer the premier league and would hate to see us go back up

Your top sentance is a fair point. Although you say Ippo want to come up i would be awfully suprised if they did.

One of the very important things that BEL promoters need to improve on is track prep, there should be one mighty competition to be the Track of the Year every year. Should be voted upon by riders and a prize for the winner. And the worst prepared track should be outted and fined!

I think the squad system could work but imo the asset system has to be scrapped for it to happen & work.

This I dissagree with, your own asset's give fans the feeling of "My Club,My Riders" take that away and most of the royalty amongst fans will disappear. Plus riders will be riding for money only and not loyalty. We at Belle Vue have been there for what seems an eternity, our present team consists of mainly asset riders and the feeling when we win is far better.

One of the very important things that BEL promoters need to improve on is track prep, there should be one mighty competition to be the Track of the Year every year. Should be voted upon by riders and a prize for the winner. And the worst prepared track should be outted and fined!

And where are they going to find the money for equipment ? it ain't cheep. Yeh i agree with track of the year, but there should be a subtancial incentive put on offer. For the curators.

Edited by Starman2006

This I dissagree with, your own asset's give fans the feeling of "My Club,My Riders" take that away and most of the royalty amongst fans will disappear. Plus riders will be riding for money only and not loyalty. We at Belle Vue have been there for what seems an eternity, our present team consists of mainly asset riders and the feeling when we win is far better.

JUST keep them on a contract as they do in Poland or Sweden.

Speedway needs to be a weekly occurrence. Whether that is a El match one week and nl the next (WOLVES/CRADLEY) then so be it. That's what fans want, a habit of going to the stadium week in week out. All teams could be at Pl league level but then if they run an "EL" match drop the reserves and add 2 "star" names. 2nd strings going to reserve. Or if they were a pl/nl club drop the top 2 and add 2 nl reserves. Would mean more riders needed and no doubling up but with the possible loss of teams (Swindon, Coventry, Leicester) that would counter that. Plus riders that do double up/down would still do that but for the same club. Points limit would have to be adjusted but as an example see below...

Eg

Ipswich Pl

1. King

2. Sarjaent

3. Covatti

4. Risager

5. Barker

6. Castagna

7. Greenwood

If they went "El" team could look like...

1. Hampel

2. Covatti

3. King

4. Barker

5. Nicholls

6. Sarjaent

7. Risager

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

speedway has to be about continuity, that goes for regular meetings and regular teams.

if you have no meetings for a number of weeks, people realise they can do without and that means future visits will get less and less.

I'm also one that thinks that teams need some continuity, give supporters riders to support as 'one of your own', buy their merchandise etc, and it should work both ways.

with squad systems, I can't see that happening, I think it will be a case of 2 teams riding against eachother but no one really knowing who will be in the teams

• Like 2

I was very lucky to see a large number of meetings at what was at the time an extremely well-run speedway track, Hackney, from 1973 to 1983.

The track opened on the first available Friday in March and occasionally managed to make a case for earlier. Likewise it ran until the very last Friday in October, and again would often get permission to run into November. I seem to remember there being a challenge match with Belle Vue staged in November once.

No Fridays were missed on the way from March to October. On the one Friday when the Hawks rode away (at Wolverhampton) the track staged an individual meeting, The Superama.

This was all backed up by what was not just a marketing slogan but also a principle:

"Make It A Date, Friday At Eight".

Yes, time has moved on but this shows what the sport could once achieve. Continuity was the key and you always knew, weather permitting, that on Friday night there would be a meeting at Hackney.

We have lost our way in so very many ways.

I'm actually encouraged by much of what Matt Ford says in this piece, especially the acceptance that the trade-off for getting more fixtures may well be to accept a further lowering of team strengths. The closer the tram strengths are between the current EL and PL tracks the more chance there is to race against more tracks and provide those vitally-needed fixtures. Expecting the top PL sides to risk financial suicide by joining the current EL is simply unrealistic. His comment "We will make new stars" is very true.

It shows how deep the problems are when even the top EL promoters start talking sense, even if some of their supporters still can't see the bigger picture.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

JUST keep them on a contract as they do in Poland or Sweden.

Makes sense, 3 yr contracts etc.

Would that contract give them a wage if sat on the sidelines waiting for their chance to race.

I think the squad part of teams will be top guys who race for lots of teams.

Edited by Trees

Now that we're in a post Brexit era , could the lower league go back to the way it was with a restriction on overseas riders ?

If this proposal was put forward by anyone else you would be saying different as your hatred of Matt Ford, your words, clouds any judgement from you.

And equally, your adoration of the guy puts you in the same boat.

And where are they going to find the money for equipment ? it ain't cheep. Yeh i agree with track of the year, but there should be a subtancial incentive put on offer. For the curators.

If they can't find the money for equipment, where do you think they'll find the money for (what I guess you mean) substantial incentives.......you really are your own worst enemy !!!

Now that we're in a post Brexit era , could the lower league go back to the way it was with a restriction on overseas riders ?

It all depends on the agreements made between the UK and EU. The whole situation is now fiendishly complex. Lawyers will be rubbing their hands with glee.