British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

Louis has always said he would go back EL with Ippo if it suited the club.

Glasgow have made a big thing about moving up.

Peterborough have a rich EL history and might depend on the structure of the top flight for them tell reconsider.

And the new Sheffield promotion are quoted as having similar aspirations -especially now that Mr Machin is nothing to do with them!! :wink:

• Like 1

Louis has always said he would go back EL with Ippo if it suited the club.

Glasgow have made a big thing about moving up.

Peterborough have a rich EL history and might depend on the structure of the top flight for them tell reconsider.

It doesnt suit Ipswich at the moment and i think if you asked Chris now his answer would be no.

Glasgow would be foolish to move up. Losing out on matches against Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington and Newcastle to name a few

Peterborough isnt financially viable either

• Like 2

One League with a north/south split divide,

For example:

Berwick, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sheffield, Workington, Redcar and Belle Vue.

Race twice at home and away.

Crowd levels are always better the more "local" the fixture is because when Berwick race the likes of Somerset, Ipswich and Plymouth come to Berwick the crowd is poor compared to matches against Edinburgh, Glasgow etc, and it is more and more paramount that clubs get punters through the gate.

JUST AN IDEA.

It doesnt suit Ipswich at the moment and i think if you asked Chris now his answer would be no.

Glasgow would be foolish to move up. Losing out on matches against Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington and Newcastle to name a few

Peterborough isnt financially viable either

All 3 , and more would move up if the league was an attractive one and suited them financially.

Whether any of them do or won't is pure speculation.

MATT Ford reiterates in Speedway Star this week that squads, more fixtures and regular race meetings are the only way forward for British speedway.

Hard to argue with that in my view.

Trouble is it only really suits Poole at this moment in time which is why he is bleating on about it again.

• Like 3

Its not just about Poole. Belle Vue have given guarantees to their paymasters that they will provide top class speedway including National and International stars and events. I can't see them accepting a lower level product.

If Coventry and Swindon and Lakeside had no issues with their stadia then they would want senior speedway too if it can be afforded.

A squad system would probably be the safest way to introduce clubs into a “top flight” while still allowing what is seen as a viable, and, somewhat fair product for both clubs.

If Poole had say Holder and Majic in their squad they could be used home and away against Belle Vue, but then dropped out against a club of the ilk of Sheffield say who weren’t as strong as Poole

It would require some form of gentleman agreement though which would get messy/overcomplicated.

Any merger of leagues has to be in the interest of both parties it isn’t fair on Poole or Redcar for example to be in the same league, there needs to be a strategic logic to it.

• Like 1

I reckon rye house could be an outside bet for top flight racing. The new promoters BMR are already active in other forms of professional motor sport.

• Like 3

a merger would be a disaster there arent no where near enough top riders to go round.

most of the PL teams just would not compete meaning fans getting even more disillusioned

I reckon rye house could be an outside bet for top flight racing. The new promoters BMR are already active in other forms of professional motor sport.

I would expect Rye House to be in the queue under the right circumstances, as they were rumoured to be last winter when there doubts over some teams.

There aren't enough top riders to go around anyway, and ford recognises that missing top riders isn't the problem.

More teams and more regular meetings is what he wants and he's right.

So if the powers that be could see that clubs were going to have massive gaps in there fixture list why didn't they go fortnightly to start with then run once a week through the hight of the summer and condense the fixture list.

Edited by Starman2006

So if the powers that be could see that clubs were going to have massive gaps in there fixture list why didn't they go fortnightly to start with then run once a week through the hight of the summer and condense the fixture list.

Hight of summer ..more classic English :rofl::rofl:

i do believe workington have not had a home meeting for 5 weeks. the next one is on the 16th of july .. can any one beat that ?

a merger would be a disaster there arent no where near enough top riders to go round.

most of the PL teams just would not compete meaning fans getting even more disillusioned

The whole point of the merger, as far as I can see, is that former EL teams' strengths would be greatly reduced to bring them in line with the existing PL clubs.

I can't see the PL standing for the con trick of a merger that was staged in the 90s.

Edited by rmc