British Speedway Forum
Gresham

Things You Miss In Speedway...

Blimey...just had a flash back. I used to buy those cassettes of meetings, which used to be advertised in the back of SS. Just commentary and the sound of the bikes in the background. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of the guy who did the commentating...but he was good, really brought the meeting to life.

Wally Loak. Couldn't for the life of me see their appeal, until he had a stall at one of the big events playing his tapes and TBH he was pretty good.. As I got very little spending money though I never invested. Didn't have a cassette player either 🤓
  • Like 1

Wally Loak. Couldn't for the life of me see their appeal, until he had a stall at one of the big events playing his tapes and TBH he was pretty good.. As I got very little spending money though I never invested. Didn't have a cassette player either

Ah! Wally Loak. I have some of his videos. He always used to use the phrase "Chase, Chase, Chase"

Ted Sear was clear and to the point. Have some with our friend Rob Mc commentating (could be biased sometimes) and also John Chaplin. Acquired some Hull tapes recently (less said about the commentary the better). I have loads of tapes and DVDs and they vary considerably with the quality of commentary.

I personally prefer my commentary to be constructive and informative. Can't stand over the top commentary which seems to be the norm with televised sports now...which is a major reason that I don't watch them!

Waiting nearly a week to find out the full scorers from meetings courtesy of the Speedway Star...

Studying rider scores and the heats, the surprise when an underdog had beaten a big star...

Arriving at the old Hyde Road, tannoy blaring, funfare in the background. Thumbling the freshly-purchased programme and looking down the line-up and heats... and the anticipation of what was in store that night.

Feeling sick with nerves when the Aces went into the last heat needing something, relying on Peter Collins and Chris Morton to pull it off...

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Shawn, you've told us elsewhere that you are 31. Now, even by the mid-80s the war cries had served their time but their best days were over. They were a hang-over from days with larger crowds, more prepared to join in the fun. Plenty of people joined in and it was always part of the fun. It was a more innocent, tolerant and less cynical and self-centred time. We did have more fun though.

What you saw was the tail end when the crowds had shrunk desperately and naturally there weren't so many people to join in and the war cries obviously were dying-out. When I was announcing I tried to modify them by dropping the '2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate" hang-over from 50s America and just go for the 'Give us a...... etc.' Eventually it was clear that another tactic was needed. It was trying to build up the atmosphere. What an awful thing to try, eh?

So, what you saw was the end of an era. I think you'll find many people here were watching speedway well before you were born and witnessed another era that you quite frankly haven't the remotest qualification on which to judge.

Which reminds me about one thing I miss from speedway.....tolerance.

Maybe so. But I was at Billy Hamills farewell and the Cradley fans were doing it then. It just seemed weird. I've been at plenty of big sporting events (cricket, football and rugby) and never heard a war cry. It just so unimaginative. The best ones have been the songs sung by various fans. I love being at the 20/20 cricket when there were a group of quite rowdy lads in front of us who had loads of songs, a personal favourite was signing to Sussex "you're French and you know you are". The older cricket fans complained about them but the younger (under 40s) just sung back at them and gave them what some would call abuse, others banter. When the stewards tried to take them away most people booed at them. Not a single "give us a..." that day.

I'm all for fun, 100% with that one. There should be more fan interaction, fans should make more noise and get more involved. Speedway fans are generally an odd bunch who prefer a polite ripple of appaulse. It's why a Coventry/Poole play-off meeting is so damn great. Everything is cheered and booed. Even EFs and falls, I know it's not the "done thing" but it adds to the atmosphere. Or the Newport vs Glasgow KOC meeting in 2001(?) where Newport fans were signing and cheering anything at all they could. It makes even a rubbish meeting seem so much better.

I actively encourage anyone to do anything to try and add to an atmosphere, I just think the war cry has had it's day. Part of speedway problem is the fans who attend still want it to be 1950/1960! Sure there was undoubtedly lots back then that was brilliant but times move on, speedway doesn't want to so it's dying.

Anyway, to answer the question. The smell. Occasionally I'll walk into a stadium and catch that smell for a moment but it oh so rare these days.

War cry's are not the most cringe worthy, although I'll agree they've had their day. As a kid it was always fun to chant them, especially when you had 8000 doing it regularly.

The most cringe worthy thing I've seen in recent years, is the St Johns and track staff marching out onto the track and centre green, to marching band music.

It was like Dads army had met Mr Blobby on acid...wtf!!! I almost died of embarrassment with the girl I was dating at the time.

Do they still do that anywhere?

It's even worse when the riders come around for a 'Victory' parade on the back of a pick up...7 blokes staring out to a few old gits sucking Werthers...I personally can't look them in the eye anymore. Makes my toes curl.

• Like 3

As you say good when there are a few thousand there, the riders don't have the commitment to their club's now, half-hearted waves or chatting amongst themselves to a couple of hundred fans that are left. Speed way should look at ice hockey to see how they connect, the windon Wildcats play in front of increasing crowds, good value for money and fan involvement as opposed to those motor cycling robins up on blunsdon hill.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Upright engines

A home meeting every week with at least 23/24 home meetings in total per season

A wide variety of opponents and riders

The old louder silencers

Each rider having their own kevlars

Local derbys against Rye House, Hackney and Ipswich

Clubs such as Oxford, Reading, Newport and Long Eaton.

The Silver and Golden helmet match races

• Like 2

War cry's are not the most cringe worthy, although I'll agree they've had their day. As a kid it was always fun to chant them, especially when you had 8000 doing it regularly.

The most cringe worthy thing I've seen in recent years, is the St Johns and track staff marching out onto the track and centre green, to marching band music.

It was like Dads army had met Mr Blobby on acid...wtf!!! I almost died of embarrassment with the girl I was dating at the time.

Do they still do that anywhere?

It's even worse when the riders come around for a 'Victory' parade on the back of a pick up...7 blokes staring out to a few old gits sucking Werthers...I personally can't look them in the eye anymore. Makes my toes curl

Thought It as just me getting cynical, as I used to look away when the riders came on the lap of honour. There were more on the truck than on the terraces. At Belle Vue (Kirky Lane) as well, where half the stadium was closed. By the time the truck reached where the small crowd was, most of the gathering had either died or left for the last bus home.

• Like 1

Thought It as just me getting cynical, as I used to look away when the riders came on the lap of honour. There were more on the truck than on the terraces. At Belle Vue (Kirky Lane) as well, where half the stadium was closed. By the time the truck reached where the small crowd was, most of the gathering had either died or left for the last bus home.

Maybe this is something else that's changed in speedway,people arrive later and leave earlier. Not so long ago there would be as many people who would stop for the victory parade as we get through the turnstiles in total now. After a top meeting with a hard fought win people wanted to hear all of the riders interviewed and to give the boys an extra round of applause .The riders would then walk back to the pits to applause high fiveing all the kids. Now once heat 15 is finished 75% of the crowd shuffle out immediately. Sad really !

Fans wanting a quick getaway is not exclusive to speedway. Look how many leave football grounds early, to beat the rush.

Fans wanting a quick getaway is not exclusive to speedway. Look how many leave football grounds early, to beat the rush.

No need to do that with speedway

Don't think there will be too many leaving before the end on Saturday at Cardiff

Edited by New Science

Maybe this is something else that's changed in speedway,people arrive later and leave earlier. Not so long ago there would be as many people who would stop for the victory parade as we get through the turnstiles in total now. After a top meeting with a hard fought win people wanted to hear all of the riders interviewed and to give the boys an extra round of applause .The riders would then walk back to the pits to applause high fiveing all the kids. Now once heat 15 is finished 75% of the crowd shuffle out immediately. Sad really !

At Lakeside it isn't a case of shuffle out, more a case of run like the start of the Le Mans race, Crazy! but this has been the case since second halves were scrapped which allowed for a much more gradual egress from the stadium.

I prefer to hang around afterwards unless I have to be up early the next day as it avoids waiting to get out of the car park.

• Like 1

No need to do that with speedway

There is at Coventry when they've only got one gate open. :)

Speedway's problem isn't fans wanting to get away early... it's getting them there in the first place!

• Like 2