British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

A Suggestion For The Elite League Play-offs

They would need to pass a rule as to eligibility in the case of injury as well, no doubt opening up avenues of skullduggery

I don’t mind the format as it is, if a side wants to get their “best” rider to reserve more fool them as it just means their “best” rider will be in less of the important heats, and if they all get their "best" rider to reserve does that not just mean they are equal anyway?

The squad rotation has worked ok so far, don’t have a huge issue with it personally, everyone other than Coventry has sort of been advantaged by it during the season.

It has probably been a fairer format than one or two sides just having really strong reserves all year while the rest have to struggle on with what they have, given the public bitching about it this year it just seems even more dense that very few spoke about the format of the last few seasons which was, for me anyway was probably worse.

Edited by The Mockingjay

I have a better idea. The elite league title should go to the team with the most pages on this forum. Cov would win by a mile.

I have a better idea. The elite league title should go to the team with the most pages on this forum. Cov would win by a mile.

Poole wouldn`t take that lying down- they would do something really iffy(as they do most years) and the page count would go through the roof ;)

• Like 1

I believe Robert 72 is a Leicester fan so they have the EL sown up already :P:D:wink:

• Like 1

i reckon bjarne pedersen will be reserve for poole in the playoffs

Thought the plan was to get Holder down there for the play offs :lol:

• Like 1

i reckon bjarne pedersen will be reserve for poole in the playoffs

But only if he is partnered with Hans Andersen at Number 7.

Meanwhile, the 'grinning gink' Hancock will come is as number 2.

Doubt it?

Seriously, nothing these days would surprise me.

Meanwhile, Mr. Fraud will outline his 'discontent' with the EL and outline his vision for the UK's Speedway future (with full support of the Dorset grey/blue-rinse brigade) - whereby we have blazing sun for the 6 week school holiday; Lyons Tea Houses on every Dorset street corner; wool shops will reappear in the Dorset high streets and, meanwhile, Captain Mainwaring will be ready with his Enfield rifle; behind a stack of sandbags on the South coast border.

Oh how wonderful Speedway would be without 'Johnny Foreigner' (despite the fact that year after year, Poole depend upon 'Johnny Foreigner).

Simply loving it!

Certain punters are saying that the key to winning the play-offs will be which team will be able to get the "best " rider to reserve.

So here is a suggestion- The BSPA/SCB pass a rule to say that in the Elite league play-offs the 2 reserves will be the declared EDR riders- after all they started the season there so might as well finish it there as well. Who could complain at that ??

Yes.

I still expect to see Chris Holder at reserve for the play-offs Bjarne Pedersen is just a rehearsal :wink:

Edited by rmc

Holder at reserve doesn't strengthen Poole any. But with rolling averages changing rider's positions come the play offs I expect most sides will have either both edr at reserve or one edr and their weakest 2nd string (e.g. at bv likely to be Jacobs and r Worrall)

Holder at reserve doesn't strengthen Poole any. But with rolling averages changing rider's positions come the play offs I expect most sides will have either both edr at reserve or one edr and their weakest 2nd string (e.g. at bv likely to be Jacobs and r Worrall)

The ability to give Holder seven rides in a meeting, three of which would be entirely at the team manager's tactical discretion wouldn't strengthen Poole? :shock:

It would more than compensate for a hapless EDR scoring three zeros from heat leader.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

The reserve situation has been a complete dog's breakfast, and sadly a reflection of the state of EL speedway in general. Not a bad thing for FTR's who have performed well to go into the top five, but not as heatleaders where they have generally been slaughtered, they should be moved up to second string positions only. And any non FTR's who drop to reserve should only be able to take four programmed rides rather than seven. Also riders like PK and Bjarne being signed after the start of the season and dropping to reserve shouldn't be able to happen, let them earn a real time average like FTR's rather than using old figures from last season.

• Like 1

Doubt it. But its the only thing your likely to win... :rofl:

Certain punters are saying that the key to winning the play-offs will be which team will be able to get the "best " rider to reserve.

So here is a suggestion- The BSPA/SCB pass a rule to say that in the Elite league play-offs the 2 reserves will be the declared EDR riders- after all they started the season there so might as well finish it there as well. Who could complain at that ??

This would suit Poole. They have two reserves who can score 10 at reserve but only really 4 or 5 in the 1-5. Yet all their 1-5 riders are capable of 10 where ever they ride. So all those worried Poole will gain by having Holder or Bjarne in reserve need not worry, having one of them in reserve actually weakens them elsewhere.