British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Eddie Reeves

Oxford stalwart who actually rode with his dad, Reg, at New Cross before making a name for himself at Cowley. I believe he married the sister of actress Vicki Michelle ('Allo 'Allo) and opened a boutique in London. Later moved to Hackney before returning to Cowley but with little success (1973) and moved on to King's Lynn. I'm sure he also rode in the States for a while before finishing his career at Boston...again not too successfully.

Names like Eddie Reeves and Roy Trigg evoke memories as a child as I remember my older brother talking about them before I used to go to speedway...as did John Bishop.

• Like 2

I remember Eddie and Reg Reeves well at New Cross. I also remember seeing Roy Trigg as a young novice in second halves at New Cross. I always thought he would be a good rider and he became my sort of "protege". I followed his career with keen interest and was glad to be proved right. My other "protege" was the 15 year old Dave Jessup at West Ham after seeing his first-ever ride in public. Not sure what happened to him..... :lol:

I then quit while I was ahead!

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

The reference to Roy Trigg in this topic reminded me of his remarkable achievements at Oxford in 1966. In a guest appearance for Edinburgh he suffered a first race last place, when beaten by Eddie Reeves, Arne Pander and Reidar Eide, but then recorded three wins and a second from his last four rides. The first attempt to run the league match against Hackney ended in abandonment after heat 6, with the Cheetahs leading 21-15. Having taken two scheduled rides, a rider replacement ride and a tactical substitute ride, Roy accumulated 11 of his team's 15 points, a staggering 73%. To confirm his liking for the Cowley track, when the league match was re-staged Roy was beaten only by Arne Pander in scoring 17 of his team's 27 points, a mere 63%!

It was hardly surprising that Roy joined Oxford in 1967, but he only stayed for one season. On his first visit with his new team in 1968 he scored a 15 point maximum, leading Cradley Heath to a rare away victory.

• Like 1

@Norbold. Yes, I also saw Eddie and Reg Reeves ride for New Cross in the days of Provincial League racing down the Old Kent Road but Roy Trigg actually rode there much earlier when Johnny Hoskins was in charge. I don't think Hoskins ever forgave Roy Trigg for moving to bitter rivals Wimbledon. I recall reading his programme notes shortly afterwards comparing Ronnie Greene with a horse thief and accusing him of stealing his young colt, "Trigger" from the Rangers.

I often wondered if Reeves furniture store was anything to do with the speedway Reeves,especially as it was(still is) situated evocatively on Reeves Corner in Croydon

@Norbold. Yes, I also saw Eddie and Reg Reeves ride for New Cross in the days of Provincial League racing down the Old Kent Road but Roy Trigg actually rode there much earlier when Johnny Hoskins was in charge. I don't think Hoskins ever forgave Roy Trigg for moving to bitter rivals Wimbledon. I recall reading his programme notes shortly afterwards comparing Ronnie Greene with a horse thief and accusing him of stealing his young colt, "Trigger" from the Rangers.

Yes, I know Roy Trigg rode in Johnnie Hoskins day. I remember it well and that he went to Wimbledon. After all, he was my protege!

• Like 2

Remember Reg and Eddie at New Cross in 63, with the great Squibbo and Geoff Penniket

Yes, I know Roy Trigg rode in Johnnie Hoskins day. I remember it well and that he went to Wimbledon. After all, he was my protege!

Were you at West Ham the night Triggy rode his socks off to get 3rd in the British Final? Has to be his career highlight?

Were you at West Ham the night Triggy rode his socks off to get 3rd in the British Final? Has to be his career highlight?

I was indeed, salty. He came third in his first ride behind Ronnie Moore and looked good but nothing special. Then he suddenly came alive in his second with a thrilling outside sweep round Booey to win his next race. Won his next race, beating Martin Ashby and Terry Betts and then, in one of the best races of the night, he went from last to first with another outside sweep, passing Howard Cole, Ray Wilson and Trevor Hedge. And then in another great race, he came second to Ivan Mauger but beat Briggo in his last ride. Finally, he beat Arnold Haley in a run-off for third place. It was a great evening!

• Like 1

I remember Eddie and Reg Reeves well at New Cross. I also remember seeing Roy Trigg as a young novice in second halves at New Cross. I always thought he would be a good rider and he became my sort of "protege". I followed his career with keen interest and was glad to be proved right. My other "protege" was the 15 year old Dave Jessup at West Ham after seeing his first-ever ride in public. Not sure what happened to him..... :lol:

I then quit while I was ahead!

I was at West Ham that night norbold...you might have said hello :cheers:

• Like 1

I always thought that Howard Cole had a riding style very similar to a certain Kid Brodie. Can anybody explain this?

P.S. Tongue firmly in cheek :wink:

• Like 1

I always thought that Howard Cole had a riding style very similar to a certain Kid Brodie. Can anybody explain this?

Likewise Tony Brooklister and Colin Meredith!

Was it not Kid Bodie...sans r.

I often wondered if Reeves furniture store was anything to do with the speedway Reeves,especially as it was(still is) situated evocatively on Reeves Corner in Croydon

I recall that Reg was proprietor of Northbrook Garage in Ilford in the early 1960s.