British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Eddie Reeves

I was indeed, salty. He came third in his first ride behind Ronnie Moore and looked good but nothing special. Then he suddenly came alive in his second with a thrilling outside sweep round Booey to win his next race. Won his next race, beating Martin Ashby and Terry Betts and then, in one of the best races of the night, he went from last to first with another outside sweep, passing Howard Cole, Ray Wilson and Trevor Hedge. And then in another great race, he came second to Ivan Mauger but beat Briggo in his last ride. Finally, he beat Arnold Haley in a run-off for third place. It was a great evening!

We went to Coventry to watch him in the next round where mechanical gremlins put paid to his chances.

Of course there's that infamous incident at Cradley when Garry Middleton pulled out a gun in retribution to an incident on track with Roy Trigg!

I often wondered if Reeves furniture store was anything to do with the speedway Reeves,especially as it was(still is) situated evocatively on Reeves Corner in Croydon

Unfortunately burnt to the ground in arson attack a few years ago in London riots, my muvverinlaw is a Croydon girl and remembers the ole family store.

I often wondered if Reeves furniture store was anything to do with the speedway Reeves,especially as it was(still is) situated evocatively on Reeves Corner in Croydon

Unfortunately burnt to the ground in arson attack a few years ago in London riots, my muvverinlaw is a Croydon girl and remembers the ole family store.

Of course there's that infamous incident at Cradley when Garry Middleton pulled out a gun in retribution to an incident on track with Roy Trigg!

Lucky he wasn't Trigger happy!

• Like 1

you and me both!

You didn't say hello either :nono:

Since we are talking about Roy Trigg- while I agree that he had great success by finishing 3rd in British Final and that may be his greatest success -don't lets forget his achievement in the 1964 Prov. league final- -a tremendous meeting. Mauger beat Monk in a run off for first and second but Roy beat Pete Kelly in a run off for 3rd. Roy had a great PL career with Hackney and carried this on to the 1965 BL season- Roy always went well at Somerton park and never complained about the state of the track. Glad to hear he's enjoying life in the rickety rackety islands. Great memories of a great rider.

• Like 1

I was there that night. Only heard about the gun incident in latter years. The main incident, as far as the crowd were concerned, happened between Middleton and Mike Gardner, with the latter whacking the former over the head with his crash helmet.

According to the Backtrack article a couple of years ago the incident with the gun in the pits happened a couple of heats before, which tallies with my battered programme as Heat 10 has Middleton excluded and Triggy in the race. The Gardner incident happened in Heat 12. I do remember the car driving through the crowds on the back straight with Middleton hiding beneath a blanket. For a 7 year old in his first full season of Speedway it was incredibly exciting!