British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

An El Weekender

Just back from Peterborough. I only did today but ppl I spoke to that did both days thoroughly enjoyed it. It seemed a massive hit.

Would something like this work in the EL.

Something as simple as a EL weekender like the super league do. 2 matches on the Saturday and 2 on the Sunday. At a neutral venue to EL. Best equipped would be Peterborough. Obviously when there is no Polish fixtures, so finding a weekend in the calendar may be difficult I know.

• Like 2

Just back from Peterborough. I only did today but ppl I spoke to that did both days thoroughly enjoyed it. It seemed a massive hit.

Would something like this work in the EL.

Something as simple as a EL weekender like the super league do. 2 matches on the Saturday and 2 on the Sunday. At a neutral venue to EL. Best equipped would be Peterborough. Obviously when there is no Polish fixtures, so finding a weekend in the calendar may be difficult I know.

It obviously couldn`t be a fours event because most Elite fixtures are run with less than 4 of the teams 7 declared riders ;)

• Like 1

Would never happen due to cost. EL riders won't put their leg over a bike for £163 a day.

• Like 1

Would never happen due to cost. EL riders won't put their leg over a bike for £163 a day.

The club's would pay the Riders there normal wages. End of the day it would be a normal league match

Just at a neutral venue

• Like 1

The club's would pay the Riders there normal wages. End of the day it would be a normal league match

Just at a neutral venue

Would require some serious sponsorship and a vast crowd to be able to make it pay if they are on the usual EL pay

• Like 1

It could work but it'll have to be run early season prior to the Polish Ekstraliga starting.

Could be Elite Pairs on the Saturday

ELRC on the Sunday

Other than that it's simply not possible in the calendar

It was virtually an EL team that won the 4s!! ;-)

Why would the 'top' riders want to get involved in a weekend of 'away' meetings?

It was virtually an EL team that won the 4s!! ;-)

Why would the 'top' riders want to get involved in a weekend of 'away' meetings?

Plenty, especially at the start of the season when there's no Poland or Sweden

In the Elite Pairs on the Saturday you could have all EL sides plus guest teams like Piraterna, Vetlanda, Wroclaw, Torùn etc.

The top stars in the EL are riders like Doyle, Holder and Lindgren who have all been incredibly loyal to the league for the most part. If there was issues though resolve it the same way issues in speedway are always resolved….cash (and a bit of planning re dates and availability).

An “EL weekender” would be a great idea (just as the 4s weekender is) - promote these events correctly, run it well first time and add word of mouth you will soon swell attendances IMO.

It is the way of modern sport and sport attendees that they enjoy novelty events like this, the big game days held in Rugby Union which have now been introduced into Pro 12 etc, it has all followed on from the incredible success of one day Cricket, a trend speedway has been slow to react to if anything, but deserve praise for getting there now.

• Like 1

I would have thought a weekend of EL Speedway would be attended by the riders as they could enjoy any entertainment etc during the time they are not racing, especially if it is say a saturday evening.

A whole weekend of eliminator meetings then semi and finals, possibly with something like The youngster meetings that Neil Vatcher runs in charge of between the main meetings would be well attended as it would be like a two or three day Cardiff where fans from all clubs and even some from abroad could have a good weekend.

There seem to be quite a few reports about the 4s weekend being enjoyed by many, not only the racing but also the actual weekend.

Edited by A ORLOV

From 1991-94 the Fours package consisted of 1st & 2nd Division finals on the same day at Peterborough.

From 1991-94 the Fours package consisted of 1st & 2nd Division finals on the same day at Peterborough.

It did. I went when Long Eaton won the second division one.

I don't see why something similar to this weeks PL 4s and an individual meeting couldn't be run for the EL. Two groups of four in the Sunday with top two in each qualifying then in the Sunday you could either have an individual for all the riders left from the 4 eliminated teams or just every teams top 2 in an individual using the 16 rider format. Then have the 4TT final in the afternoon.

There's almost half as many EL teams so you could pay the riders £350 each! I'm sure that could be worked on, start planning now and look for a sponsor and tbh I don't think £40-45 would be too much for that weekend. Throw in all those paying £10 to camp too.

I seriously hope the powers that be looking into sow thing along these lines.

Would love to have gone to this weekend's meetings at Peterborough. Couldn't afford to do it as well as the World Cup this week. How many remember the Grand Slam weekend in 1985 at Peterborough. That was a great weekend. And I was only 21.

Maybe it should be the PL Fours semis on the Saturday and the Finals for the Fours and an EL Pairs finals on the Sunday.

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates