British Speedway Forum

Can you just explain to me why Mick is getting the blame for ending the club? He wasn't the one who sold the stadium to Brandon Estates and he wasn't the one who wrecked it so it couldn't be used. Just interested.

Previous behaviour Janet, he's had a chequered history, so he's easy to blame!

To me it's purely down to Sandhu and Brandon Estates.

I don't believe and never have believed that Sandhu doesn't have any connection to it all still..

The one way to secure the Stadium wouldn't be used would be to trash it... he's not sneaky though, it wasn't the mysterious fire, or travellers getting the blame.

Bingo! Job done!

The story about the Police being involved. What's happening with that? I'd hazard a guess at nothing because

a. they were never involved

b. you can't cause criminal damage to your own property - think about it????

Now it leaves way for them to leave it to rot and then they'll eventually get what they want...

Remember the crap that Jeremy Heaver came out with about the new eco stadium, did anybody really believe that?

They can take their stocks on the road, they don't need Brandon.

Now they sit and wair, Sandhu bought it in 2004, so he's happy to play the long game!

"Honourable man" Money and power that's all he's interested in :mad: .

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 8

I doubt that anybody on here really knows what's been going on... but I don't think any of the parties involved can walk away from this without any blame.

Sandhu - sold the land

Brandon Estates - bought the land to build houses on

Mick Horton - has had 3 years notice that this was going to happen and on the face of it has done nothing to secure the future of the club, never said anything specific and has just creamed the money in for the last 3 years

Please GO Away.......Mr.Horton. Leave UK Speedway alone,fined another TOY to play with and break. I hope your licence get's left in the deep freeze and forgotten.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

Gutted for the Coventry fans. Some of the best fans In the league. Will be solely missed.

• Like 3

Sad sad day the league will just not be the same without the Coventry bees one of the sports greatest and longest running clubs.My heart goes out to all Coventry fans totaly gutted for you all.The way this has all happened must be heart breaking a club as big as Coventry if it had to close should have had at least one more season for the fans to have said goodbye in a fitting manor not like this total crime to the club and to the sport. Shame on everyone involved in ending a great clubs history in this manor. :mad:

• Like 1

I doubt that anybody on here really knows what's been going on... but I don't think any of the parties involved can walk away from this without any blame.

Sandhu - sold the land

Brandon Estates - bought the land to build houses on

Mick Horton - has had 3 years notice that this was going to happen and on the face of it has done nothing to secure the future of the club, never said anything specific and has just creamed the money in for the last 3 years

Here,Here !!!!!!!!

I don't post on here much any more. Today is an incredibly sad day for the sport, but one which has had an air of inevitability about it for many years now. To me, it was always a case of 'when' not 'if' this day would come.

For my part, and in no small part because of the above, I've spent the last few years (and especially the last season) gradually letting my interest in the sport wane. From a position not so long ago of having a season ticket, barely missing a fixture, re-arranging holidays around the fixture list, and basically living speedway, I quickly got into the habit (especially last season) of picking and choosing meetings and missing them altogether with the slightest excuse. To be honest, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, but it was something I needed to do.

It's been heartbreaking watching Coventry stagger on from one year to the next, a pale shadow of the club it was only a few years ago. The club has never recovered from the events of the 'Winter of Discontent' but, to me, the damage was actually done when the Ochiltree familiy sold up back at the end of 2002. Coventry Stadium needed to be sold to a person or persons who would have been a long-term custodian of the club, the stadium and everything it stood for. Now, I don't know the ins and outs of the amount of people who showed an interest in buying Brandon in 2002 and I am sure that finding people to buy speedway stadiums to actually run speedway (and other associated businesses) rather than buying the land to develop on is easier said than done. But there is no escaping the fact that, ultimately, it was sold to someone who had no association with the sport and who subsequently admitted that he brought the stadium to build on. From that moment, the nails could be heard being hammered into the coffin.

To be honest, if you could have told me in 2002 that the club would last another 14 seasons, with some great successes along the way, I wouldn't have believed you.

Thoughts of a new stadium, at least in the short-term, were pipe dreams. I had little interest watching the team stagger on for another season in a track share or even attending a broken and dilapidated Brandon. It's been bad enough watching how badly neglected the place has become over the last 5 or 6 years. The club, and all of the history that goes with it deserves better than that. At least we've gone out with a bit of dignity.

I know this statement is going to upset some, but much of me just feels relieved. Sad but relieved.

There are many parties who have blood on their hands today. Few come out of this sorry state of affairs with any credit.

Edited by G the Bee
  • Like 2

Gutted with this news, a sad day for the sport to lose such a big club. Horton and Sandu should hold their heads in shame, they have both contributed to this demise. NEVER let a Horton run a club ever again.

Let's hope they can get a new owner and get the club back on track.

Sandhu has been very clever over the years. He's convinced so many Coventry fans that he loves the club, yet he conveniently forgets he bought Brandon to knock it down, then hastened the clubs demise by trashing the place. Mick Horton is not perfect, we all know that, but he had a thankless and almost impossible job.

He was never clever. Sad to say that in the winter of discontent, I suspected he had an ulterior motive and this has now come to fruition some years later. I never trusted the man and he has caused the demise of a great and historic speedway club. I do hope that this is only a temporary blip in the history of the Coventry Bees and they return in 2018 and many years to come.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 4

Sandhu has been very clever over the years. He's convinced so many Coventry fans that he loves the club, yet he conveniently forgets he bought Brandon to knock it down, then hastened the clubs demise by trashing the place. Mick Horton is not perfect, we all know that, but he had a thankless and almost impossible job.

perfectly put mb.

Previous behaviour Janet, he's had a chequered history, so he's easy to blame!

To me it's purely down to Sandhu and Brandon Estates.

I don't believe and never have believed that Sandhu doesn't have any connection to it all still..

The one way to secure the Stadium wouldn't be used would be to trash it... he's not sneaky though, it wasn't the mysterious fire, or travellers getting the blame.

Bingo! Job done!

The story about the Police being involved. What's happening with that? I'd hazard a guess at nothing because

a. they were never involved

b. you can't cause criminal damage to your own property - think about it????

Now it leaves way for them to leave it to rot and then they'll eventually get what they want...

Remember the crap that Jeremy Heaver came out with about the new eco stadium, did anybody really believe that?

They can take their stocks on the road, they don't need Brandon.

Now they sit and wair, Sandhu bought it in 2004, so he's happy to play the long game!

"Honourable man" Money and power that's all he's interested in :mad: .

Well said Jacques.

• Like 1

As a long suffering Newport fan I can sympathise with bees fans , a very sad for the sport in this country. I fear we have seen the last of the bees. A short list of the great clubs that have folded in my time who I thought were untouchable as a supporter is frightening.

Wimbledon, Exeter, Reading , Oxford, Cradley Heath, West Ham, Hackney, Etc and now it seems Coventrys also I fear for Swindon

Edited by Ken Morgan

Can you just explain to me why Mick is getting the blame for ending the club? He wasn't the one who sold the stadium to Brandon Estates and he wasn't the one who wrecked it so it couldn't be used. Just interested as I must be a bit thick.

Well, the Leicester cock-up is Horton's, for starters.

But yes, Mr Sandhu shoulders most of the blame for this. He's sold Coventry Speedway down the river.

The late, great Charles Ochiltree must be turning in his grave.

All the best

Rob

• Like 3