British Speedway Forum

pricing keeps so many away I think .. I keep offering to take people, but then give them the price and it doesn't happen.

the sport needs to cut costs and the GTR engine etc is hopefully going to help, but that means nothing to the supporter, only the rider.

costs need to be cut for the supporter too, the price of fuel stops so many travelling to away meetings, and people so much more now are just picking and choosing what home meetings to go to. all of that is lost revenue when someone says I'm not going it's only so and so there.

all the hierarchy seem to be looking at is reducing the cost for the riders, there's nothing there for the supporters. by the time the riders have cheaper servicing etc there won't be any supporters left!

doing special offers because England are playing football and it's on tv means absolutely nothing

But why will people pay double to watch bloody football?
  • Like 1

pricing keeps so many away I think .. I keep offering to take people, but then give them the price and it doesn't happen.

the sport needs to cut costs and the GTR engine etc is hopefully going to help, but that means nothing to the supporter, only the rider.

costs need to be cut for the supporter too, the price of fuel stops so many travelling to away meetings, and people so much more now are just picking and choosing what home meetings to go to. all of that is lost revenue when someone says I'm not going it's only so and so there.

all the hierarchy seem to be looking at is reducing the cost for the riders, there's nothing there for the supporters. by the time the riders have cheaper servicing etc there won't be any supporters left!

doing special offers because England are playing football and it's on tv means absolutely nothing

one of the biggest reasons people stay away is lack of weekend meetings
  • Like 4

Contraversial I know but could it be because they are sheep?

Thousands desire tickets for Man U, Liverpool etc but local teams in lower leagues only attract a few hundred. That's a far bigger percentage drop than top division speedway to National League. You either like football or not. I sometimes wonder if all the Man U team played at Lynn in Lynn colours whether more than 600 would turn up without all the media hype.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 3

Because it's the no1 sport in the world.

• Like 4

Contraversial I know but could it be because they are sheep?

Thousands desire tickets for Man U, Liverpool etc but local teams in lower leagues only attract a few hundred. That's a far bigger percentage drop than top division speedway to National League. You either like football or not. I sometimes wonder if all the Man U team played at Lynn in Lynn colours whether more than 600 would turn up without all the media hype.

Knocking football - that's a great way to improve speedway.

• Like 1

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but are Coventry racing next season ?

Your guess is as good as ours

The riders walk out at Brandon for example is/was pathetic. Riders just walk on, no introductions, no guard of honour (get the kids to do it) or any music that could get a crowd going. Get some flags for people to wave, make it look like fans are involved. A simple thing with simple solutions to get some crowd interaction. The start of a night of racing can set the tone of the night.

Peterborough have flirted with getting this right over many seasons but never stick to a decent basic formula and seem to toss a coin for which effort they are going to use that night, if at all! Frost & Mahoney made a decent fist of it and somehow employed Darren Fletcher (£s I know) who was light years ahead of anything you'll hear these days, but even that couldn't save a meeting with a poor Lakeside or Belle Vue side turning up.

Peterborough have flirted with getting this right over many seasons but never stick to a decent basic formula and seem to toss a coin for which effort they are going to use that night, if at all! Frost & Mahoney made a decent fist of it and somehow employed Darren Fletcher (£s I know) who was light years ahead of anything you'll hear these days, but even that couldn't save a meeting with a poor Lakeside or Belle Vue side turning up.

A poor meeting, match or whatever can always happen in sport. Happens in Football, Rugby and Ice Hockey but you still get the crowd interacting as the players walk out to music, guard of honour etc, it usually carries on. Speedway has even more scope for crowd interaction between races but no one takes the time to plan how to present and do it. Edited by woz01

Knocking football - that's a great way to improve speedway.

I'm not knocking football per se. Simply wondering why so called football fans only watch the media hyped teams in large numbers. Probably the same in many sports but as the media tends to report football far more than any other it's natural to use that for comparison.

• Like 1

A poor meeting, match or whatever can always happen in sport. Happens in Football, Rugby and Ice Hockey but you still get the crowd interacting as the players walk out to music, guard of honour etc, it usually carries on. Speedway has even more scope for crowd interaction between races but no one takes the time to plan how to present and do it.

The basic formula (well one that suits me) has always been there, it's just not used. No planning required, just go back to basics. As this is the wrong topic for the thread at this time, my last word on this. As I said, Peterborough used to be good but has lost it over time. Think afternoon speedway only makes it worse as it has all the excitement of a Sunday picnic.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 3

If they ever play that god awful Tune that's often played at lower league football grounds when someone scores ,

Then that's me and speedway finished !!!

Edited by WestGorton1884

The basic formula (well one that suits me) has always been there, it's just not used. No planning required, just go back to basics. As this is the wrong topic for the thread at this time, my last word on this. As I said, Peterborough used to be good but has lost it over time. Think afternoon speedway only makes it worse as it has all the excitement of a Sunday picnic.

Someone who hasn't been to Scunthorpe.

Im someone who job it is to make sure the right music and sounds are fired at the right time on TV shows. I understand how light and sound can make a monumental difference.

I've stood on the set in Pointless without and sound and light and see the tower count down from 100 to 0 and it does nothing. Then turn the lights on, crank up the sound and watch/listen as the tower starts at the top and then hits the bottom and the noise and lights make it. The tower hitting zero on its own does nothing.

Speedway is the same, a great speedway race is nothing if you're not surrounded by others getting excited to loud, fast paced music. Lighting is harder to control due to stadiums being outdoors.

Yes it is. A great speedway is a great speedway race and it doesn't need music, others around or anything else to be just fantastic.

Having said that, you are absolutely right about creating an atmosphere with the right music and effects. It makes a difference for certain.

• Like 3

Someone who hasn't been to Scunthorpe.

Given the distress signals the promotion have put out in recent times then nor has anybody else.:

"SCUNTHORPE promoter Rob Godfrey has revealed that the meeting on Bank Holiday Monday, August 31st could be the final-ever Scunthorpe Scorpions’ fixture at the Eddie Wright Raceway, unless there is a telling increase in attendance levels at the North Lincolnshire venue for the rest of the 2015 season."

I assume that was rectified in 2016 and the fans are flooding in now?

• Like 1

sports journalists believe that because their collegues major on football they should too in order to get their names in the paper as the reporter at a prestige game. the tv companies seeing all this, what was originally club generated publicity have decided they must jump on the football bandwagon and offered mega money to get the matches away from the terrestrial tv companies I,e BBC and ITV. The excessive money on offer from the new tv in itself filtered through to the clubs and allowed them to get sports journalists in their pockets ensuring more publicity for their club in national and regional print media . Newspapers have a limited number of pages, so the sports other than football have been squeezed out of the pages because the journos have got used to the freebies and inducements that the football clubs are able to offer ans concentrate on the one that enhances their pockets.

editors see all the copy coming in about football and think must get all these stories in the paper, therefore rugby, people racing, sailing, hockey, and all forms of motor sport get squeezed from the pages. One regional sports editor admitted that when speedway closed in his area, where there are no football clubs in the national league system his papers sales fell by 25%

speedway needs what used to be called a fleet street journalist to adopt the sport, write good copy and get it into the national press on a regular basis, concentrating on the skill of the sportsmen involved before speedway can be taken seriously by the other media people who like most people are like sheep and will start to follow because they adopt the there could be a few bob to be made here mindset.

talking of lights and doing things differently, anybody visit the Moto Parc in Cornwall with the cliffs around the track colour floodlit, the spinning wheel that rotated around the cliff walls as well and one of the best race tracks in the country at that time.

Air traffic control had to be informed when using the SKYTRACKER because projected straight up it went 14 miles.
Think it was the first track to feature weekly fireworks as well.
  • Like 1