British Speedway Forum

Gutted for all Coventry fans, & the riders who stayed loyal when they could have possibly been fixed up at another club. Hope I'm wrong, but can't see any way back for the Bees from here.

Been out and just got in to read this news. Sad but expected. The minute Sandhu vandalised the stadium was the minute the club died. You dont remove your belongings by ripping out seats and smashing them up. Or use a grinder to cut down every lighting stantion. That was pure vandalism. He knew what he was doing. Making sure the damage was enough to spell the end for the speedway. He succeeded.

The talk of putting it all back was always bs. I am convinced Brandon Estates is Sandhu. Otherwise why would a building company hide itself away in Jersey so no one could discover the owners? Brandon Estates would have no reason to hide who owns it, unless it was Sandhu. All this Brandon estates not allowing Sandhu into the stadium is utter guff.

I can't blame Horton. Not his fault this Sandhu vandalised his stadium. There's only one person to blame and that is Sandhu. He vandalised the stadium, pure and simple.

The move to Leicester was never going to work. When Horton said at the fans meeting recently that Brandon was off the table for this season I just knew this was coming.

Sorry for the riders who are stuffed. Sorry for the fans who now have no team. Some can migrate to Leicester to get their fix but its not the same as supporting your own club.

I hope the council get tough with the owners of the stadium and refuse point blank any planning permission for housing.

Coventry isn't much of a hot spot for sport. Football and speedway knackered. Wasps enjoying a honeymoon period as new to the area but rugby is pretty boring to watch and that novelty will soon wear off.

I enjoyed my trips to Brandon and the victories. They will be sorely missed.

• Like 5

The BSPA have questions to answer. As a governing body of the sport, why did they allow all this to drag on throughout the winter without making a deadline for a decision whether Coventry ran or not. Why did they agree and allow Coventry to sign a 8 meeting contract then allow all fixtures to be produced with Coventry included, only to withdraw their licence once Belle Vue announced they were running, and then citing that as only 8 meetings were agreed this was not acceptable. I can't see how Coventry can come back in 2018, because there is very little likelihood that they can find suitable land, get planning permission, then build a Stadium all in time for next season. Brandon will never be fit for purpose for any sport unless the owners sell up to a sports minded enthusiast. A full season track share would also be financial suicide for any promoter to take on. Although Chapman is chairman, the BSPA is made up of a committee of people. Where have all the other members been all winter as none of them seem to have spoken out about anything going on at Leicester, Belle Vue or Coventry. I am not a Coventry fan, but a speedway supporter and I feel so sorry for all those Bees fans. As we know, most supporters are beyond average age(40?) and their lifetime enjoyment has been ruined by a handful of people. In future the BSPA must vet potential owners/investors to check what their real motives are.

• Like 2

What infuriates and at the same time saddens me is that these money grabbing oafs have no understanding of how their decisions actually affects the fans. For my family going to Brandon for our speedway fix wasn't just about our love of speedway, it was also meeting up with the many people who we now consider to be friends. I just hope now that planning permission is never granted and that the Bees will one day return to Brandon.

A very sad day for speedway.

I want to know if there is a speedway riders union and

are the Coventry riders named covered for loss of work??.

If there is no union there should be one.

I believe that the BSPA will now own all Coventry rider assets and will gain monies from loaned out riders. It's so wrong.

Didn't Horton say Sandhu was helping with some type of financial input, and this has now been withdrawn?

• Like 1

I'll start this reply by saying how sorry I am for the fans of Coventry, very sad news. One of the best Speedway stadiums in the country gone.

Now I'll reply to your post.

Why would the stadium in have a "short lifespan"?

Correct I do not like the BSPA as in my opinion they are, for the most part, incompetent. The latest issue with Coventry being a good example.

Please tell me what there is to like about the BSPA?

The sport at the top level in this country cannot be a "low capital" sport and survive. You don't seem to get that. The lower divisions are the place for it to be "low capital".

How long have Sky being pumping money into the sport and where has it gone? You will say it's been distributed to the various clubs. Ok, what has it been invested in? Or more accurately what has it been spent on? And how did the clubs finance those things prior to the Sky money?

The tone of your post basically reveals that the sport will cease to exist in the near future.

Is the Sky contract now in danger due to the loss of Coventry?

Sky demands the top league to have at least 8 teams that's why they were waiting for BV before sealing Coventry's fate.
  • Like 3

Why would Ochiltree be turning in his grave he sold the lions stadium and closed them down ..hardly someone to put forward when it comes to speedway over money .

No he didn't

Wow! Another club bites the dust. Losing any club is a sad day but a club of Coventrys history is virtually unthinkable, as was the thought of losing BV.

All through the years of me being a keen spedway fan, that is the 60's and 70's, through the "missing" years when I "left" the sport, to coming back in 2013, Coventry has always been there.

I really do hope there is a future for Coventry speedway, and that future surfaces soon.

So sorry for all you bees fans.

Been out and just got in to read this news. Sad but expected. The minute Sandhu vandalised the stadium was the minute the club died. You dont remove your belongings by ripping out seats and smashing them up. Or use a grinder to cut down every lighting stantion. That was pure vandalism. He knew what he was doing. Making sure the damage was enough to spell the end for the speedway. He succeeded.

The talk of putting it all back was always bs. I am convinced Brandon Estates is Sandhu. Otherwise why would a building company hide itself away in Jersey so no one could discover the owners? Brandon Estates would have no reason to hide who owns it, unless it was Sandhu. All this Brandon estates not allowing Sandhu into the stadium is utter guff.

I can't blame Horton. Not his fault this Sandhu vandalised his stadium. There's only one person to blame and that is Sandhu. He vandalised the stadium, pure and simple.

The move to Leicester was never going to work. When Horton said at the fans meeting recently that Brandon was off the table for this season I just knew this was coming.

Sorry for the riders who are stuffed. Sorry for the fans who now have no team. Some can migrate to Leicester to get their fix but its not the same as supporting your own club.

I hope the council get tough with the owners of the stadium and refuse point blank any planning permission for housing.

Coventry isn't much of a hot spot for sport. Football and speedway knackered. Wasps enjoying a honeymoon period as new to the area but rugby is pretty boring to watch and that novelty will soon wear off.

I enjoyed my trips to Brandon and the victories. They will be sorely missed.

That's most unlikely. The council can only operate within the legal guidelines when the application for housing may be made. And there is an increasing need for housing according to the Government...need I say more.

A very sad day for Coventry supporters and Speedway in general. I started watching speedway at the Firs Stadium in Norwich in 1963, the stadium was within walking distance of my home, and it led to a life long passion for the sport. What happened at Norwich all those years ago, was the same scenario, the land the stadium sat on was worth more for housing than the return from the activities at the stadium. Like Coventry, we were promised the moon, how a new track would be found, and we would be up and running in no time! 53 years later, I'm still waiting. Dozens of planning applications came and went. Public inquiries, petitions, you name it we tried it. Fortunately Kings Lynn was only an hours drive away, so since the late 60's I became a Stars supporter. Its not the same though, as having Norwich speedway with its history and local connections, and I'm sure it is the same for Coventry supporters. You want your track in Coventry not miles away or sharing with somebody else. I wish you all the luck in the world, and I hope you have better fortunes than we did here.

That's most unlikely. The council can only operate within the legal guidelines when the application for housing may be made. And there is an increasing need for housing according to the Government...need I say more.

I understand that. But. What is the point of living in a place where there is nothing social to do? Go to work come home to your Wimpey home. Go out? Where? its just houses. A society needs activities to attend. No point work, home, tv, bed, work, ...

• Like 5

I think the crunch here is to ascertain who are the members of Brandon Estates. On Thursday night at the grand finale of Coventry Bees I asked MH the same question and he admitted that the Brandon Estates were "known to Sandhu" sorry I think this was an ideal way to end the speedway and then pursue their evil deeds Sandhu's conduct in the destruction of Brandon was according to MH far more than has been reported on this site. Electrics ripped from the ceilings multiple damage to the stadium in fact MH said Sandhu was aghast at the damage?. When one considers he was the self admitted creator of he damage!. What hypocrisy!

• Like 3