British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Why Is Speedway Great?

Every sport has fans that wear the colours of their club, I don't understand how it's bad, although I don't wear any myself anymore

I cringe at the memory that I used to wear a 'Skol Halls' jacket when they sponsored Oxford back in the 80s but I thought that I was the bees knees!

• Like 2

I cringe at the memory that I used to wear a 'Skol Halls' jacket when they sponsored Oxford back in the 80s but I thought that I was the bees knees!

Did you ever buy a Salora TV ?

Can't believe people are worried about what other people at a meeting are wearing.

Regarding riders being approachable one of the nicest guys off track is Nicki Pedersen.

Edited by Triple.H.

Only on the BSF can a thread about why something is great be full of moaning :D

Do you think the problem might be with you, bearing in mind a disproportionate number of forum members seem to take issue with you on a regular basis ?

I think not a few Pr.... who are up there own ASSES, 🤓sad B.......s no Gresham is ok a few of you . ....should of been shot at birth sad but true.🤔

Have you ever been to Wimbledon?

I have, many times and there are all sorts of weird and wacky characters there in knitted Tim Henman/Andy Murray cardigans, wearing Henman/Murray t-shirts/hats etc.

If you have been to Wimbedon as many times as i have, you probably have i first went in 81.These people do not represent England i went when you could choose your court your match now those days have gone.A snobby lot lot False as anything not a England crowd for me. Edited by Sidney the robin

I think not a few Pr.... who are up there own ASSES, 🤓sad B.......s no Gresham is ok a few of you . ....should of been shot at birth sad but true.🤔

You really can't get a lower validation than a man who's advocating shooting children...

You really can't get a lower validation than a man who's advocating shooting children...

Do i care what mugs like you think na could not give a ..

Because even after 40 odd years of watching it and after seeing thousands and thousands of races, in some of the finest stadia in the world, sat alongside 50000 other fans....

You can still see something happen in just ONE race at somewhere like Buxton that simply makes you go...

"F*****G HELL!!!"

Even though you never usually swear.....!!

No other sport does that to me!!

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

Did you ever buy a Salora TV ?

Can't believe people are worried about what other people at a meeting are wearing.

Regarding riders being approachable one of the nicest guys off track is Nicki Pedersen.

Remember those jackets as well!

Another great memory was the personalised programme boards. Very innovative some of them. I used to paint programme boards in enamels (actually sold a few too!) and it was exciting prior to a new season starting painting my new board.

Riders transporting their bikes on racks on the back of their cars and occasionally spotting them when travelling to and from meetings.

Those sun strips (murder to stick on) displayed either on the windscreen or rear window of the car. I recall having three displayed at one time!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Because even after 40 odd years of watching it and after seeing thousands and thousands of races, in some of the finest stadia in the world, sat alongside 50000 other fans....

You can still see something happen in just ONE race at somewhere like Buxton that simply makes you go...

"F*****G HELL!!!"

Even though you never usually swear.....!!

No other sport does that to me!!

:D My old neighbours never had a clue what speedway was, but used to hear me shouting & screaming at the GP's, so asked about it in the end. They watched a GP and asked me to take them to a meeting as it all looked (and sounded through the wall) so exciting. Never did get around to taking them.

Re the attire of speedway fans - you want to go to a Moto GP/WSB/BSB round. I'd say at least 50% of the fans are wearing a t-shirt or cap of their favourite rider. It's not disimilar to what you see at speedway and nobody there seems to have a problem with it.

I think not a few Pr.... who are up there own ASSES, sad B.......s no Gresham is ok a few of you . ....should of been shot at birth sad but true.

If you have been to Wimbedon as many times as i have, you probably have i first went in 81.These people do not represent England i went when you could choose your court your match now those days have gone.A snobby lot lot False as anything not a England crowd for me.

The ones I am referring to are the genuine fans Sid, the ones who queue, not the posh toffs that you're talking about.

Another great memory was the personalised programme boards. Very innovative some of them. I used to paint programme boards in enamels (actually sold a few too!) and it was exciting prior to a new season starting painting my new board.

I still use those programme boards to this day, a Sudden Sam one and a Peter Karlsson one.

Also a Neil Evitts one.... which was purchased in 1993 when Evitts had a somewhat disastrous season for us. He won a vital race at the end of a meeting at Brandon Stadium to win the meeting for Wolves with a last bend pass, I ran to the track shop, purchased the board and strolled along the front of the grandstand holding it up for the Coventry fans to see... great days!

Riders transporting their bikes on racks on the back of their cars and occasionally spotting them when travelling to and from meetings.

Those sun strips (murder to stick on) displayed either on the windscreen or rear window of the car. I recall having three displayed at one time!

It always used to be a common sight to see riders vans whizzing past you on the motorway on the way home from an away meeting. Not so much now as they're often off to an airport somewhere instead.

• Like 1

I've got a Henka painted programme board, think the artist's name was Stuart Parsley?

• Like 1

The ones I am referring to are the genuine fans Sid, the ones who queue, not the posh toffs that you're talking about.

I still use those programme boards to this day, a Sudden Sam one and a Peter Karlsson one.

Also a Neil Evitts one.... which was purchased in 1993 when Evitts had a somewhat disastrous season for us. He won a vital race at the end of a meeting at Brandon Stadium to win the meeting for Wolves with a last bend pass, I ran to the track shop, purchased the board and strolled along the front of the grandstand holding it up for the Coventry fans to see... great days!

It always used to be a common sight to see riders vans whizzing past you on the motorway on the way home from an away meeting. Not so much now as they're often off to an airport somewhere instead.

I used to paint boards to order and even had a contact in Germany who used to purchase some from me. I even painted a board for Steve Regeling's wife!

Remember, well, the track shop at Coventry where you could purchase personalised programme boards.

Recently saw a car with a bike on a rack pass me on a motorway...really brought back memories!

Edited by steve roberts

Witcher did you ever get a ticket for the Wimbledon Final? i never did went into a ballot every year went to the semi,s one year Cash v Connors. Lendl v Edberg.I see some great matches on court 1 stopped going after Sampras retired then the precedure of tickets and watching certain matches changed.

Only on the BSF can a thread about why something is great be full of moaning :D

You beat me to it...

Witcher did you ever get a ticket for the Wimbledon Final? i never did went into a ballot every year went to the semi,s one year Cash v Connors. Lendl v Edberg.I see some great matches on court 1 stopped going after Sampras retired then the precedure of tickets and watching certain matches changed.

Best i managed was paying on the gate then milling around and eventually queuing and getting into Johnny Mac v Wilander semi with John Amer , or was that with you?